Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

The Festival of FlightGear, Spring '16

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Re: The Festival of FlightGear, Spring '16 (+ideas for Fall

Postby Warty » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:11 pm

@Lester: just had a quick look at EGLS / Old-Sarum and it looks ripe for development:

I picked this from this massive list purely because I've been there myself. Admittedly Old Sarum was only created in 1917 but I'm sure that list must contain some other gems!

See also The Old Sarum history - as it happens some of the squadrons I served with were formed there.
Warty

Callsign: Warty
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Warty » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:25 pm

I know that elgaton is doing a good job of summarising alternative viewpoints, but workload will obviously limit the capability to spot all that is relevant. Here is a snippet that caught my eye:

"And what is wrong with a minority decision, if the majority is silently accepting it, with only one person in opposition? See, these are just loud words, but if you look at what they really mean, the reality is that the organizers of a mass event are always a small group (minority) and it is not only their right, but their duty to take initiatives and make decisions." (my emphasis)

Democracy in action - your internet dollar at work! Anyway, it appears that the hold-up in the poll is because the decision-makers (7 of them so far) are struggling to make a decision over what those of us in the silent majority will be allowed to vote on. Don't ask - it's complicated :)
Warty

Postby Warty » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:33 pm

@Lester, how about RAF Beaulieu 1915 – 1919 ??
--lat=50.805644
--lon=-1.503668

Just needs the grass trimming and it could be back in service :idea:
Warty

Postby enrogue » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:17 am

Like Warty I can't speak for the whole of FGUK, and as has been discussed here we don't do the usual type of ATC (we have practised Military ATC with a real Military ATC person). We do lots of scenarios - some like the Mach Loop are pretty awesome little mini games, another involved flying in the worst weather that the British Isles can throw at you.

We practise MP formation flying - we're hoping that the lag tweaking of the MP protocol will allow this to be much more realistic - at present the differences between 2 players observations of relative positions can be 100's of meters in difference (it depends on speed of course)

We've done airshows, and we like doing silly things like this (this was my first attempt at this with the Su-15 and it was probably pure luck):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRX7uCWtBZg
enrogue

Callsign: enrogue

Postby elgaton » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:15 pm

Summarizing what was posted in Jabberwocky's forum:

it was discussed if the Fall edition of the Festival would be necessarily held in Europe or not (this would have a practical effect on the location polls: forcing the Fall edition to be in Europe would have required two separate polls instead of a unique one).
Some points of view:
  • Having the Fall festival in Europe makes sense (it's a kind of tradition, it's held at the same time as FSWEEKEND and central Europe is often serviced by other ATCs)
  • This can be counterbalanced by excluding European destinations for the Spring event
  • On the contrary, it was not explicitly stated (so far) there was such a restriction; holding the Festival anywhere in the world might bring more variety
a summary from KL-666:
KL-666 wrote:Why fsweekend?
- Higher mp activity. Could give a better impression if someone at fsweekend shows the mpmap (not expecting it is done, but just in case).

Why europe?
- Just for the idea to be near the fsweekend for people that can not attend
- Larger busy area to impress at fsweekend, namely the festival area + the standard busy central europe. (Which is also the reason that i do not think the festival should be in central europe itself)

Why just one other festival?
- probably the organizers can handle this maximum

Why the date of the other festival.
- Spread is better for the organizers
- I think that an even spread makes a more serious impression (Everyone will know in the back of their mind when about to expect the next one)

Why the other festival outside europe?
- It is nice to get somewhere else sometimes, being two times after another in europe would become boring
- get attention to non-europe areas
- knowing underdeveloped areas may invite to develop them more

[edit]
One more thing. If you want to build a tradition that is burnt in everybody's mind, then do not change all the time, only add (like do it 4 times a year, but do not change the original 2).
[/edit]

and Lydiot's viewpoint:
Lydiot wrote:"Forcing" non-Europe: I think the logic behind "forcing" a non-European event is a good. The only alternative to that which would satisfy that same goal is to simply go top-down on the results of the poll but once you've chosen an area you can't pick the same continent for the next. For example;

1. Winner: Scandinavia
2. Runner-up: The UK
3. Carribbean
4. Italy
5. US East Coast
etc

in such a scenario it'd be Scandinavia followed by the Carribbean. Two continents. If the list had been reversed then it'd have been the US followed by Italy (different continents).

At any rate, I think adding yet another alternative is probably counterproductive at this point. I just think we should be open to changing this in the future. As I said before, "tradition" requires more than doing something once, or even twice. We could create it for sure, but "tradition" is an argument I don't like.

FSWeekend: I gotta tell 'ya, I just don't really find it a compelling argument to involve it. I don't oppose having it on the same day at all, that's all fine by me - UNLESS we could get more people participating in the FG festival if the dates were different. I'm assuming the FSWeekend people are good people, so their presence would surely be nice, no? Apart from that I honestly don't really care. I find it to be a parameter of little value.

Same place every year: Meh.... Let's find new places. I actually agree (partially) with those saying that a festival can bring more buildings and future players to a 'neglected' area. I don't think it has to be a bad thing that ATCs will have to learn new procedures etc, in fact, it seems people are very willing to do it. My only concern, as I mentioned, is choosing an area that is very undeveloped, counting on people to create objects (airports) for it, and they then can't make the deadline. Then we'd be stuck with a 'wasteland'. So that's why I've been in favor of at least semi-developed areas with interesting geographical features.

In the end, support emerged for holding two separate polls and keeping the Fall festival in Europe, but forcing the Spring one to be held in another continent.

@enrogue, Warty and others - games such as the ones you mentioned would be awesome. Another common concern in the other forum was that, in the last years, the Festival has focused too much on ATC operations (while METAL intended it to be more than that). I'll crosspost some interesting snippets as well:
Omega wrote:Even if the festival was to be at the same place every year, it would still create a fun experience.

Omega wrote:
All it takes is a unique and interesting idea, along with something to attract participants (banner, video, scenery, etc.)

Remember what we did back in 2012: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18173
Because that event was so unique in nature, it generated a whole load of traffic. Perhaps we could try another 48-hr event?
I mean, with just ONE area, you could come up with a multitude of unique and fun ideas, for example: Single runway operations, opposite direction runway operations, SRA approaches, VFR-only operations (all a/c sequenced into a busy circuit, think Oshkosh), IFR approach challenges, the list goes on...
You just have to think out of the box.
And so if you come up with an idea like that AND get at least 3 different controllers online simultaneously, does it still sound like a "weekly operation" to you? I highly doubt so.

KL-666 wrote:Great ideas, but i do not see why they can not be done on one of the airports of the festival anywhere in the world. Like a mega-mini event at an airport with no navaids, so no-one can cheat.

I remember that Amsterdam event. Would it attract me as much if i had to be there half yearly? I doubt it.

I think i weigh the new area aspect heavily. Amsterdam is rather flat. The challenge of an Andes airport is nice too once in a while.

Should the United Kingdom be chosen as a destination, we'll definitely get in touch with you.

Anyway, without further ado - the location polls are open:
They run for 15 days - each voter has the right to cast only one vote per poll, and the vote can be changed until the poll closes. As IAHM-COL, SkyBoat and Jabberwocky can not vote here/decided to retire from this forum, they will send me their votes manually and I'll add them to the tally in the end.
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby stuart » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:01 pm

Hi Guys,

Just a comment regarding the Festival matching up with FSWeekend: In recent years we haven't had any Internet access at FSWeekend itself, so it's not been possible to connect up the FSWeekend booth machines with a global MP Event. Also, this year IIRC the flying are was Florida (to match the Space Shuttle launches), and in 2014 it was around Nevada.

So, while it's great to try to match up with FSWeekend, I don't think there's likely to be any overlap.

Best regards,

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby elgaton » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:16 pm

We know (it's meant to be, so to say, a sort of symbolic gesture).
elgaton

Re: The Festival of FlightGear, Spring '16

Postby elgaton » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:30 pm

The polls have just closed - I'm happy to announce the locations for the 2016 editions of the Festival:
  • Spring 2016: Japan (17 votes - 14 + 3 by IAHM-COL, Jabberwocky and SkyBoat)
  • Fall 2016: United Kingdom - Ireland (17 votes - IAHM-COL, Jabberwocky and SkyBoat voted for another choice in this poll)

I've updated the first post accordingly. From this post on, I kindly ask all participants to use this thread to discuss only the Spring 2016 edition - I've opened a dedicated thread for the Fall one.
elgaton

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:59 pm

'Ip 'Ip HURRAH!
(Imagine a British cheer)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby MIG29pilot » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:34 pm

What sort of British? There are at least a dozen (Cockney, Educated, Mockney, Kent, Cornwall, Devon , Cumbrian, East Anglia, Yorkshire)
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:04 pm

Ah, well, not sure.
I guess Educated = Queens?

Course, I golden dove ter write in a cockney accent. Aint it fan?
An' since ahm from Oirlan' meself, oi don't mind a wee bit av irishness in me posts.
Ay coorse, Ah hae scottish bluid, an' jist loove th' scottish accent. It is amazin'.
Ivvor heard ha the Newcastlers speak?
n ah av um distant ancestors fra Yorksha, 'n li' t' famous puddin. 'a could ah not love t' accent?
legoboyvdlp

Postby MIG29pilot » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:55 am

Ok you have it. Do you know what a Cumbrian one is like?
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:01 am

Aye, A dee know a Cumbrian accen'.
legoboyvdlp

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:54 pm

Anyone interested in assisting with scenery/aircraft development is advised
1. Don't make anything -- anything to do with Honda. Not even a model of their building.

2. Do visit thejabberwocky.net -- specifically the Scenery Development subforum.

Here are some of the tasks which need to be done.

BUT
READ THIS CAREFULLY
For coordination purposes, anyone who wants to help is heavily reccomended to post here:
http://thejabberwocky.net/viewtopic.php ... 3788#p3788
So as not to doublework.

My current projects are:
Chitose and Chitose Air Base developing
Chubu CENTRAIR WED work
Assisting where I can in Kansai effort by IH-COL

OK, where was I. Tasks

Please leave OSM2CITY alone, for now, unless you would like to contact IH-COL about optimization. OSM2CITY is very nice, but unflyable in heavily populated areas (think Tokyo) in it's default form.

[*]Many, many airports are alone. Only Tokyo Hamad has models...

These Airports are the ones which has the capability to have 3D models, with Project 3000, and have a nice layout.

STILL, COORDINATE FIRST!

[*] WED work
Many airports are in default state.

These come to mind as being developed.
- Hamad
- Chitose
- Fukuoka
- Kansai
- Narita
Note: developed means there is a project or interest. At least 3 of these developed airports are not in TerraSync.

Please, coordinate!

As for aircraft, take your pick!
There are many interesting Japanese aircraft.

Sorry for this jumble.
As I said, and continue to emphasize, please coordinate before starting work!
We have several months. Plenty of time!
Japan will be beautiful soon :)

IAHM-COL wrote:Add something to the list:

Fix navaids and fixes. (Lots of navaids don't even exist in the database), all across the RJUU airspace.

Last edited by stuart on Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove irrelevant quote from other forum which includes personal attack
legoboyvdlp

Postby stuart » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:59 am

Hi Guys,

I've edited/removed some irrelevant posts, and warned some users on their behaviour.

Personal attacks are unacceptable on this forum. Please also see my previous post noting that quoting banned members from other sources is only acceptable in very limited circumstances.

-Stuart (the mod)
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

PreviousNext

Return to Multiplayer events