Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

Flying Competition, Saturday, 27th of February

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Flying Competition, Saturday, 27th of February

Postby D-ECHO » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:00 pm

Hello everybody!
There will be a flying competition on Saturday, the 27th of February, 18 (6PM) UTC in Tannheim, Germany (EDMT).
The tasks will be, taken from ludomotico's pdf ;), precision landings:
there is a settled touchdown line on the runway. You have to touch down as close as possible to that line, but NOT before it (stage trigger!). Counting are
1. distance of the first main gear ground touch from the touchdown line (less->better)
2. distance of the main gear of the full stopped aircraft to the touchdown line (less->better)
3. aircraft damage (less->better) No, just kidding! :D
There'll be four landings:
1. normal landing: engine power, flaps, spoilers and sideslip at own discretion
2. idle landing: power lever has to be set to idle at least on the final leg, flaps, spoilers and sideslip at own discretion
3. idle landing without flaps: power lever has to be set to idle at least on the final leg, flaps and spoilers may NOT be used, sideslip at own discretion
4. obstacle landing: There will be a 2-m-obstacle (rope) placed 50m before the touchdown line. You have to overfly it. No part of the aircraft is allowed to be beneath the rope before you passed it. Power, flaps, spoilers and sideslip at own discretion
Aircraft
For fairness, only a few aircraft are allowed:
-c172p
-c182s
-dr400
-da40
-pa28
Rules
-Only the landing pilot and two referees are allowed to be behind the barrier (runway part), all other pilots and visitors have to stay on the other side (apron).
-Live weather has to be used
-Multiplayer has to be connected ( :D )
-takeoffs and landings can only be permitted by the local air traffic controller
Staff
To make this event realistic, a minimum setup of staff is required
1. 2 referees controlling that pilot follows guidelines and measuring the touchdown and full stop main gear distance from touchdown line (rounded on meters, tape measure on bottom)
2. at least 1 ATC controlling ground and air movements
What else is needed?
Pilots!!
Join in to make this event great!

Tannkosh is waiting for you!!
Custom scenery is available via git: https://github.com/D-ECHO/tannheim-landing-challenge
Please leave a comment when you come!
Regards
D-ECHO

[old]
Hi!
Would you like to have a (yearly) flying competition, with disciplines like e.g.
-target landing -> landing in the minimum distance of a certain point on the runway
-short takeoff -> the shortest takeoff roll you can perform without damaging the aircraft
-long glide -> the longest glide you can perform in a certain altitude range
All disciplines would be performed in the same aircraft for everybody (e.g. C172p).
What do you think?
I am looking forward to your reactions ;)
Regards
D-ECHO
Last edited by D-ECHO on Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
D-ECHO

Re: Flying Competition, what do you think?

Postby ludomotico » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:03 pm

I'm preparing a mission for the c172p according to the rules of precision landing. Give me a week to release an initial test. The mission will follow the FAI official rules: http://www.fai.org/downloads/gac/GAC_20 ... sionFlying (page 9) This kind of competition is usual in real life and it is similar to your "target landing competition" with several limitations:

- You must land as close as possible to a target but AFTER the target. You are penalized if you land BEFORE the target
- The competition involves four landings, one after the other: (1) you can configure the aircraft at your convenience, (2) no-engine allowed, (3) no-engine and no-flaps allowed and (4) target after a 2m obstacle (a rope between two posts)
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby D-ECHO » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:44 pm

Yes, that's about what I thought about ;)
D-ECHO

Postby aiannuzzi99 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:29 pm

I was thinking you could do a challenge with a jet airliner to see who can land at the highest speed without going off the other end of the runway.
aiannuzzi99

Version: 3.4

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:32 pm

Well, thats too easy to cheat. Plus with maximum brakes and reversers and all, a 707 can land at TNCM as proven in a video.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Johan G » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:45 pm

ludomotico wrote in Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:03 pm:I'm preparing a mission for the c172p according to the rules of precision landing. Give me a week to release an initial test. The mission will follow the FAI official rules: http://www.fai.org/downloads/gac/GAC_20 ... sionFlying

Some few years back when I spent more time actually flying in FlightGear and was much better at navigation I was contemplating doing something like that, but regarding the precision navigation.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Jabberwocky » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:20 am

Hummm, fastest engine change in 10000ft? Just kidding, but honestly, we should think about a few categories for the plane tinkerers too. Seems, we get more and more people who don't actually fly beyond what is needed for testing. Just as food for thought.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY
Version: 3.0.0

Re: Flying Competition, Saturday, 27th of February

Postby D-ECHO » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:40 am

Please have a look at the first post ;)
D-ECHO

Postby MDN666 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:37 am

I'm there!
MDN666

Callsign: MDN666, WTF101
Version: 3.4

Postby oscar6662 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:49 am

Wow this seems cool may be some spanish people would like to come I will say them because one of them said me to do this just a bit different. Count me in for the moment may be last minute issues wilk happen, but I hope not. Supet cool!
Todo bien todo correcto? Y yo que me alegro!!!
#keepKSFO

Sir. Berenguer
oscar6662

Callsign: AA2234
IRC name: N/A
Version: 3.4.0.

Postby D-ECHO » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:26 pm

Great! I hope more people will join. It will take place if there are more than 3 people (absolute minimum!!) come. (I can do tower and, if needed, referee)
D-ECHO

Postby jaxsin » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:40 pm

Sounds like fun to be fair, I will see what I am doing around that time. Would be like 2pm EST
jaxsin

Postby Oswald » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:38 am

Hello everybody,
my first post in the forum though I have been using flightgear some years.
Very nice idea, D-ECHO! How strict will you be with the aircraft? Today's training weather to get to know the airfield is awful. Put it the other way: Very nice weather for training landing with strong side wind, gust, snow. But not with an aircraft, I am not familiar with.
Therefore: Might a Cessna 337 be welcome, as well?

Oswald
Oswald

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:13 am

@Oswald: Sorry but please stick to the aircraft allowed to make it fair for everyone (more power would (maybe) result in better chances) :)
@ALL: Custom scenery is finally available. Have a look at the first post!
D-ECHO

Postby Martien van der P. » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:16 pm

Pssst, D-ECHO the path's inside your custom scenery aren't right, you've /home/delta/landingchallenge/obstacle.xml I got it working with this Scenery/tannheim-landing-challenge/obstacle.xml.

Btw: I'll probably also there during (as visitor and pilot) the event.
Martien van der P.

Callsign: MV-DP
Version: 2020.3.4

Next

Return to Multiplayer events