Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

USA TOUR Event | SAT FEB 21ST 17:00 - 24:00 UTC

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

USA TOUR Event | SAT FEB 21ST 17:00 - 24:00 UTC

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:38 am

Important Notification

Make sure to get installed the confirmed planes before hand, to avoid delays or yellow gliders :P

USA TOUR event | 32nd Leg: From London With Love | Hybrid (Civilian or Military): British Manufactured Jets | SAT FEB 21ST 17:00 UTC - 24:00 UTC

THIRTYSECOND TRIP
Departing Cyril E. King Airport,(TIST): Charlotte Amelie, U.S. Virgin Islands
Arriving Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport/Adams Field (KLIT): Little Rock, Arkansas

*************************************************************************************************************************
Leg Distance: approx 1750 nm
Competing Aircraft: Any Jet Aircraft manufactured in the United Kingdom (Hybrid: Civilian + Military)
Expected Cruising Speed:~350KTAS
Expected Cruising Altitude:FL280-FL320
Expected Duration (en route): ~4h40min
**************************************************************************************************************************

From London With Love

Note: Copyright of the 007 Logo is owned by Danjaq LLC, and United Artists and of the Movie "From Russia With Love" is owned by Eon Productions, Dajaq LLC, and United Artists.

The USA tour arrived another incorporated Territory:The USA Virgin Islands. And we did so, while flying McDonnell Douglas Jets from Manchester, New Hampshire, over the Atlantic Ocean, and crossing the large Bermuda Triangle. The Weather was eerie. Departure happened a few minutes after snowed, with visibility being really low, and mist presence in the air. The taxiway centers were merely visible. After the take off, we find an overcast at just 1900 feet. Luckily the terrain is flat and low and we receive fast clearance to a cruising level of FL230 - FL250. When we entered the Atlantic Ocean, there was an overcast layer above us, and a second one below us, which looked like we were flying into the tunnel that is the doors of the Bermuda Misteries. And we lost two pilots to the secrets: Skyboat's plane suddenly dissapeared (computer crash!) in a location that made impossible any other recovery maneuver but an air launching, very close to the suspected entry of the infamous geometry. IH-COL suffered a power outage that caused his plane to literally dissapear from the multiplayer servers, and then reapper minutes later in a completely different location. The power outage caused his Internet to drop, but his computer operating on battery kept flying regularly until the power was restablished and the internet reconnected. Unsurprisingly enough, his reappearance did occur where one would guess the magnetic horrors of the earthy blackhole are finished!.

The fighter jets F18 were really fuel hungry, but they had available two KC10 tankers. A lot (I mean a lot) of refueling action took place, and we are likely to repeat this feat in our return to continental USA in this the 32nd USA Tour leg. This time we will be flying from our last arrival in Amalie Charlotte, the US. Virgin Islands. We will overfly puerto rico and head in the direction of Bahamas and look for the coast of Florida over Miami. Crossing the Sunshine state over the everglades to head northernly over the west coast looking the Southeast, and finally heading to our destination, The largest and Capital City of the State of Arkansas: Little Rock (the name coming from a tiny stone, not for some dosage of good music!).

The USA tour is looking forward for you (the flightgear pilot) to engage and participate. We invite and welcome everyone that wants to tag along, and we are a friendly and cooperative flying environment: Hope to see you there on the 21st of February, for our sky-sliding appointment.

Aircrafts

This is the first USA TOUR leg that features a Country Specific manufacture.

What Aircraft shall I choose If I want to be considered one of the Elite of USA Tour Participants?! Well this time any participant will be who flies almost any Jet aircraft that has been manufactured by the United Kingdom aviation conglomerates. This aircraft could have been FULLY manufactured by the United Kingdom, or developed in multinational efforts. A list of the planes that I could find available in FG are listed below, and also a list of the EXCLUDED planes, and the reasons for exclusion are indicated below. I did attempt to make the list complete, but if you know of a plane that should have qualified, and is not incorporated, please do not shy out of letting us know. Furthermore, hopefully you may want to fly it with us ;)

Another important point: We had been noticing that certain planes are conflicting on the multiplayer scene and create weird but predictable and reproducible crashes. We do not want to exclude these from participating. On the contrary, if you can leave us a note of what plane you are considering bringing, Let us know, and we will do some background testing and patching if necessary. Fuel patches to make planes more accurate with referenced ranges can be attempted, and for certain planes, we may be able to also make it Air refuelable so we can practice some of that challenging fun over this cruise.

Note: Some Aircraft may be available by either distribution below, but they are likely to differ in systems, models, and performance
    Official Download:
  • RAF JAGUAR T4 (Breguet / British Aircraft Corporation)
  • BAC TSR2 (British Aircraft Corporation)
  • BAE-125 (British Aerospace)
  • Blackburn Buccaneer (Blackburn Aircraft Ltd. and Hawker Siddeley)
  • Canberra BI8, a.k.a English Electric Canberra or Avro Canberra (English Electric)
  • BAC-Concorde (British Aircraft Corporation/Aerospatiale)
  • DeHavilland Comet DH-106 (DeHavilland)
  • Eurofighter Typhoon EF2000 (British Aerospace / Airbus Group / Alenia Aermacchi)
  • Harrier Jump Jet (British Aerospace / McDonnell Douglas)
  • Hawker Siddeley Nimrod (British Aerospace / Hawker Siddeley )
  • Hawker Hunter (Hawker Siddeley)
  • English Electric Lightning (English Electric / British Aircraft Corporation)
  • Avro Vulcan B2 (Hawker Siddeley)
  • Gloster Meteor (Gloster Aircraft Company)
    FGUK Download:
  • English Electric Canberra (English Electric)
  • Avro Vulcan (Hawker Siddeley)
  • TSR2 (British Aircraft Corporation)
  • Hawk AJT (British Aerospace)
  • Harrier II (British Aerospace/McDonell Douglas)
  • BAe Sea Harrier (British Aerospace/ Hawker Siddeley)
  • De Havilland Sea Vixen DH110 (DeHavilland)
  • De Havilland Vampire DH100 (DeHavilland)
  • Eurofighter Typhoon EF2000 (British Aerospace / Airbus Group / Alenia Aermacchi)
  • Handley Page Victor (Handley Page Ltd.)
  • Hawker Hunter (Hawker Siddeley)
  • Hawker Siddeley Harrier (I or Harrier Jump Jet) (Hawker Siddeley/ British Aerospace/ McDonnell Douglas/ Boeing)
  • Hawker Siddeley Nimrod (Hawker Siddeley)
  • SEPECAT Jaguar (Breguet / British Aircraft Corporation)
  • Panavia Tornado (Panavia Aircraft GmbH; Italy/Germany/U.K)
  • Gloster Javelin FAW9 (Gloster Aircraft)
    Unofficially Available for Fligthgear
  • Vickers Nene Viking (Vickers-Armstrongs / Rolls-Royce Engines)
  • Supermarine Swift R-5 (Supermarine Aviation Works - Vickers )
    Excluded Aircraft
  • Airbus (ALL) : Although U.K belongs to the multinational conglomerate that produces these, we have had Airbus specific legs before

The GCMAP

Route
We will be travelling Area Navigation, Over Bahamas, Miami, West Florida, and then over the SouthEast
SKYVECTOR
Code: Select all
TIST [PALCO6] PALCO [RTE6] SJU ROBLL [Y587] HARDE GTK RNDLY PAARR FORRK DONEZ COZIE RAJAY [BR53V]  DHP [J55] THNDR [Q110] JAYMC RVERO KPASA CTY [J20] SZW [J41] MGM  VUZ [J14] XESSS ARIGY  LIT [DCT] KLIT

PROCEDURES

SID

Communications

Communications will take place with mumble. Important messages can be relayed on FGChat.
Sincere thanks to Michat for offering the intercom room and channels. This will be located in the FG mumble server:

Code: Select all
server: mumble.allfex.org
Room: USA Tour

To install and prepare the mumble (any OS), see here:
http://mumble.sourceforge.net/Main_Page
Last edited by IAHM-COL on Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 10 times in total.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Re: USA TOUR Event | SAT FEB 21ST 17:00 - 24:00 UTC

Postby LesterBoffo » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:38 am

I'm guessing the Martin (US made) Canberra's will not qualify for this event.?

Another Note: Most of the first generation UK jets, like the DH100 Vampire, Gloster Meteor, have really short ranges and no way to aerial refuel. I'm suspecting that even if you try your most economical ferry speed and altitude you'll be flying at Vickers Nene Viking speed, and altitude.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:52 pm

Hi Lester

• The Martin. It's out as participant. Wrong hometown, as you pointed out.
  • The Gloster Meteor: It's a though choice, but in principle it should be valid. Your point of range with this one is very valid. But the range will not be an absolute limitant here for this plane, because even accross the Atlantic route there are many islands with little airports to hop for some refuel. The longest strecht for refueling stops I could find along the route is 350 nm between San Juan and the Grand Turk: And this is about half the ferry range of the Meteor. Speed: I ve read it maxes out at 082/10000 feet, giving it a ground speed of 500+KTS. We will be probably attempt to compromise at around 350-400 GS KTS, which means if this one flies low, It may keep up. The final cruising speed met in the tour will depend on the slowest participant once again. My opinion: The Gloster Qualifies (barely). Range is too short and pilot will be doing at least 4 refueling stops. We will be circling around to wait for this. The plane looks really awesome thou.
  • The DH Vampire: I think this plane is comfortably a go. An specs range of 1000 nm means this plane will be good with only 1 midway refuel. I suggest somewhere like Miami, for a guess. The plane peaks at a maximum of 470 GS KTS, if flown at low altitudes. I assume again, it will be able to sustain at least 350 GS KTS. And as said above, although a few 2.0+Ma planes qualify to the route, like the BAC-Concord, or the Typhoon Eurofigther; what we'll do is find the compromise speed by considering the fastest our lowest particpant can go.
  • The Nene Vicking: It will be amazing to see this one come. I had been looking online for specs on the performance without success and all I know is Ive seen and test it flying at around 250 GS KTS. Can it make it to at least 325 GS KTS? If it can, what's its range? I doubt a pilot is willing to do more than 3 refuels total (which means it will be convenient to make at least close to the 1000 nm / see Meteor's comments above)? I will be very happy to see you on the Nene on this leg, and I am just uncertain of how it will fit you.

Best,
IHCOL

Edit: With the figure of 325 Ground Speed in mind, we are looking at around 6hrs cruising time. As you can see in the original post, the original suggestion is to attempt somewhat faster and get the Ground Speed at around 390 KTS for an estimated cruising time of about 4h40 min. But this is again not a minimun limit. We'll be waiting to see what crafts show up.

Edit2: I ve found this about the Nene
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/ ... 01180.html
At a range of 311 miles and at speed maxed at 409 m.p.h. I feel this plane will be underpowered to try this leg. Hats off to the amazing equipment, but it seems too early of a development to me :(

On the other hand quite a read that article :D
Flight. July 29/1948. Source, http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/ ... 01180.html wrote:Let no mistake be made about the significance of this fligth; both the Vickers Viking and the two Rolls-Royce Nenes with which it is powered are standard, well-tried products which have been combined for the first time to give this country an all-jet passenger transport. This particular aircraft, sponsored by the Ministry of Supply, has been produced for development work, but has now been flying for some months and is no freakish prototype. The Nenes produce much more power than can be safely utilized by the airframe, which was originally designed for operation wiht medium-sized piston engines at quite low altitudes. The Nene-Viking is, therefore, not an economical proposition for the airline operator. From other points of view it would be a serious commercial product
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby MountainFlyerN22 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:48 pm

How about the Panavia Tornado F3?

The Panavia Tornado is a family of twin-engine, variable-sweep wing combat aircraft, which was jointly developed and manufactured by the United Kingdom, West Germany and Italy.

Wiki:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panavia_Tornado
The Tornado was developed and built by Panavia Aircraft GmbH, a tri-national consortium consisting of British Aerospace (previously British Aircraft Corporation), MBB of West Germany, and Aeritalia of Italy
MountainFlyerN22

Callsign: N22
Version: 3.0.0

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:03 pm

MountainFlyerN22 wrote in Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:48 pm:How about the Panavia Tornado F3?

Thanks N22
Now added to the list of the FGUK available planes.

Initial testing of these planes had not been that encouraging. I am attempting to use the Typhoon Eurofighter but it has rather predictable awful behaviors, and JWOCKY reported me testing of several FGUK planes to be very underperforming. His last comments referring particularly at the Tornado; again, not encouraging. The name should not imply this plane to behave such as a Tornado :(

We'll see....
IHCOL
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby Definee » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:10 pm

My first option is the Concorde, just because I have not even heard of half of the planes on the list , lol I have to do some testing first, Only flew that thing once
Fly JAFVA
N3362C
F-36
"To some people the sky is the limit, to those who love aviation, The sky is home."
Definee

Callsign: F_36
IRC name: Definee
Version: 3.2

Postby Jabberwocky » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:01 am

The Tornado, refurbished in a GR4 (or Recon-version) is actually becoming more hospitable, so chances are, we will hve soem Tornado derivates available.
Eurofighter ... well, I am online, will pull COL's Git and look at the mess, then I can say more ;-)
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY

Postby MountainFlyerN22 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:25 am

I tested the Tornado GR4. Seemed OK,just a little twitchy.
The Sea vixen is nice,and the Vampire in pretty good.
MountainFlyerN22

Callsign: N22

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:45 am

@Lesbof

Some last revisions indicate that the Vickers Nene actually will qualify for this leg, based on speed :)
Range is a question mark still
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:05 am

I ANNOUNCE THAT I WILL BE FLYING THE EUROFIGTHER TYPHOON
AVAILABLE On Current Developing GIT HERE

Very early after I started determining which British plane I will be flying for this leg, I was testing the water with the Eurofighter Typhoon.
This awesome plane had been initially developed by Maverick Alex and Others (2008-2012), and a second version was available in FGUK.

To my surprise neither seems to work well. The Official download Aircraft has a very unstable flight, and and useless Autopilot: All the vertical modes just spin to a certain death. The FGUK version appears to be unable to roll out of position, apparently due to a complete lack of thrust in the FDM :( :?:

:idea:
I knew that JWOCKY had been working in this idea of retrofitting planes to be USA tour ready. and I asked him if he wanted to help me getting a typhoon ready.

After forking Maverick's aircraft, I isolated the project under a new name (EF-Typhoon), and verify that all dependencies to other aircraft was removed. After some polishing for the FDM and installation of a new AP made by JWOCKY, the Typhoon is now in much better conditions, and it is so to speak, flyable. Thus, I am getting myself a USA TOUR ready livery, inspired in the legendary Red Arrows. Curiously enough, although to my knowledge they don't YET own a Typhoon, the idea of a livery specific for this aircraft had been at least a concept since early 2008.

In addition, now a Paint Kit is also available for those that want to explore their inner artist :)

Thanks, and looking forward for our next USA tour event (FEB21st)
IHCOL

PS: Let us know what planes you are planning to bring, so I can create a list of Download links
Last edited by IAHM-COL on Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby drdavid » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:59 am

Hi Everyone!

I flew the Victor over the route this afternoon and was really disappointed. I don't know what happened to the aircraft, but its simulator performance was quite unsatisfactory. I fixed the range problem by increasing the fuel capacity by 33%. But that was the good news. Even though the JSB model's AP and Route Manager talk to each other (the YASim version's does not), at the end of the trip, the plane's avionics would not activate the ILS intercept. Landing it by hand was an exercise in frustration and not much fun--still not sure why I didn't crash :?: . And, on the ground it taxis like a aircraft carrier with a broken rudder. It took half the State of Arkansas to turn off the taxiway to the terminal's tarmac...or so it seemed.

So, at this point, I'm dropping the Victor. Somebody else can pick it up and provide the in-flight gas station. I'm looking for another plane to fly for this leg of the tour.

SkyBoat
drdavid

Callsign: SkyBoat
Version: 3.2.0

Postby CA1012_Falcon5 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:09 am

IF you guys want, i can link you to the vickers nene viking RRE
CA1012_Falcon5

Callsign: Falcon/MIA0010
Version: 2016.2.1

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:06 am

CA1012_Falcon5 wrote in Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:09 am:IF you guys want, i can link you to the vickers nene viking RRE

Sure FALCON
That'll be amazing. Thanks
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby islandmonkey » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:02 pm

Add my name next to Definee - the Concorde at FL280 and Mach 0.95 is a good choice.
islandmonkey

Callsign: G-MNKY

Postby Jabberwocky » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:28 am

Okay ...

the Tornado ... the original, I downloaded from FGUK had actually only a range of some hundred miles
AAR with MP not working
Spontaneous midair explosion (I still work on figuring out why and what)
AP was unable to hold altitude
Engines underperform in comparison to real world specs
You seem to need some other planes plus FGUK weapon package to let her run halfway okay, so I do some isolating there.

Victor ... well, lucky me, I had an older versino squirelled away and it works almost. She needs the usual overhaul of engines, tanks, a fuel system because she sucks equally just form all tanks as it comes and some work on the AAR to bring her to the specs, make the AP hospitable and let her fly as MP tanker and recipient, but I'm on it.

EuroFighter ... well, IAHM-COL told already, so no need for more details.

And the Nene proved to be qualified, which is nice because we are otherwise so military heavy on the next leg.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY

Next

Return to Multiplayer events