Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

USA TOUR Event | SAT JAN 24TH 17:00 - 23:00 UTC

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Re: USA TOUR Event | SAT JAN 24TH 17:00 - 23:00 UTC

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:33 pm

Thing is, how do I get the MD-10?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Jabberwocky » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:04 pm

@Lego:

You ask SkyBoat on the Mumble chat ...
or you go to http://www.theJabberwocky.net/downloads/MD-10.zip and download the latest version, I have.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY
Version: 3.0.0

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:58 pm

Ah ok. Thanks. Got it now
legoboyvdlp

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:41 pm

She flies perfect BUT...
The AutoThrottle and AutoPilot's changes to control surfaces are not reflected by HUD! And I can move the control surfaces by keyboard and nothing changes (keeps steady course)

So, is this known yet, and any way of fixing?
legoboyvdlp

Instructions on How to Fly the new MD-10

Postby drdavid » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:15 pm

Hi all--

I'm going to be flying the new MD-10 that JWocky and I have been working on. I'm providing a set of operation instructions in this post as an orientation to the airplane. I'll write separate posts on how to use the Auto Pilot and the Canvas-enabled MFD, respectively, in the next few days.

For those of you who have been flying the new MD-10, you're already getting an idea of what a fantastic aircraft she is and JWocky and I are continuing to clean up issues as well as improve the overall flying experience.

Don't let the length of the instructions intimidate you. I wrote them in the order that I use to start and fly the plane, so the process is well tested, and I have tons of hours flying her!

Code: Select all
General Instructions for Starting the MD-10
Section I: The Basics for Prepping the MD-10
1. The MD-10 and its variants take a bit of practice to get started and into the air, but the plane flies beautifully and you will enjoy all of the many features she offers in flight.
2. First, Rembrandt has to be enabled.  I know this is an issue for some graphics cards, but if your card can handle it, it really is an essential part of the MD-10’s performance in any condition other than full daylight.
3. From the “MD-10” pull down menu, select Auto-Start.  Many of the systems require the engines are running to be able to pre-flight the plane.
4. The nose wheel steering default is for “auto coordination.”  If your set-up works better with “Tiller Steering” you can select that from the MD-10 menu.  Also, the nose wheel steering angle has been adjusted to allow the MD-10 to make a nearly 90 degree turn.
5. The Pushback works very well.
6. On the instrument panel, the EICAS is not displayed.  Click on the black bar at the base to turn it on.  This is a glitch we are working on.
7. Note that in the lower right area of the EICAS is the landing gear status, and right below it (in a too-small font, which we’ll change) is the indicator for the Slats/Flaps.  Generally, you’ll set the flaps to 2 (20 degrees) for take-off.
8. Next, turn on the lights.  The MD-10 has two sets of landing lights, which can be used separately or in combination.  You can click on the “Left” and “Right” boxes.  You can click on either the “Taxi” or “Land” buttons (The “Boom Operator” button is for the KC-10 model), or you can use them all at once. Watch which switches on the upper Landing Light panel move when you activate the various lights.  The light that is thrown down the runway is impressive!
9. Note that the Navigation lights and the Beacon are on by default.  You can turn on the strobes if you wish.
10. Under that is the “Panel lights.”  These bathe the instrument panel in an ambient light that is helpful in all lighting situations.  It also must be activated for the passenger cabin lights to work.
11. Next you’ll see four sliders.  The first slider controls the illumination to the gauges and many of the knobs and switches for ease in night flying.  The second slider is a dummy, placed for future functions.  The third controls the Main Displays.  There are also knobs on the upper panel that control this illumination, so you don’t have to use the menu during flight.
12. All the gauges and radio panels work. 
13. The CDU is not the standard Boeing unit.  It has many great functions.  For instance, if you use the route manager, press the “Legs” button and it will appear on the display.  Unlike the Boeing, you can use the up and down arrow keys to scroll through your flight plan.

Section II: Preflighting the MD-10

1. Set the QNH barometric pressure using the “Instrument Settings.”
2. Assuming you use the route manager, under the GPS option, click on “Actv RTE WPT” but DO NOT click on the “NAV1 Slave.” It is a broken link we’re working on trying to fix.  It will not affect your ability to navigate, however.
3. Radios: I recommend using the VOR and ADF frequencies.  In the post regarding how to use the Auto Pilot, it will be explained why these are necessary for ILS landings.  However, there is a knob on the upper right panel that when clicked on will display on the PDF, NAV1, NAV2 or FMS when a VOR DME frequency has been entered.  I generally use the FMS option.
4. A second reason to use the VOR/DME is that the PDF will also display a CDI indicator when you come into range of the station.  You can adjust the variation of the CDI to point to your heading by going to the “Instrument Settings” and clicking on the “HI Offset.” “HI” is horizontal indicator.
5. Fuel and Payload:  The MD-10 has been modified for long haul flights and has a range of over 6000 nm.  With a full load of fuel and the default passenger weight setting of 100,000 lbs, she is very heavy on take-off.  I set my fuel based on the distance of the flight.  The Maximum Landing Weight is 398,000 lbs, and she is very unhappy with weights above that.  Speaking from experience here!
6. I will provide a full set of instructions on how to use the Auto Pilot in a separate post.  One you learn how to use it, you will come to love it because it is one of the most realistic and sophisticated APs in FlightGear.
7. I will also write a post on how to use the Canvas-enabled MFD.

Section III: Final Preflight and Take-Off

1. So, here’s the basic pre-flight checklist once you’re ready to take off:
a.   Set flaps to 2 (20 degrees).
b.   Set Parking Brake.
c.   I recommend clicking on the Auto Throttle slider switches under “ATS” on the instrument panel.
d.   As the engines spool up, release the parking brake.
e.   Rotate at approximately 145-150 knots.
f.   Raise Gear and Flaps to 1.
g.   Accelerate to at least 200 knots (or as designated by the ATC) at around 10-15 degrees.  FPS climb set on the auto pilot can be from 2000-2800 fps depending on your set up.
h.   Flaps to 0 as appropriate.
i.   Generally, IAS is 250 knots to 10000 feet, then speeding up to 300 knots to FL200.  At this FL engage the “”EPR” button.  This locks the “Exhaust Pressure Ratio” of the throttles to 100% for normal flight.
j.   Initial climb is to FL300.  Normal altitude is between FL350 and FL390.  Service ceiling spec is FL420.
k.   Level flight at FL350 and above will produce Mach .82-86 on average.
2. Feel free to contact me on the forum for further questions, and watch for the posts on the Auto Pilot and the Canvas-MFD instructions.

Cheers,

Skyboat
drdavid

Callsign: SkyBoat
Version: 3.2.0

Postby KB7 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:41 am

Pretty sure I'll be using Dave Culp's F4-N (which would be pretty close if not over-range), if I don't use the MD-10.

ETA... Will be using one of his F4's... Will probably stick with the N, but now I'm thinking that if a Blue Angels plane is going up, I may have to roll out the Thunderbirds models instead.
KB7

Callsign: KB7
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby Jabberwocky » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:58 am

If you have a problem with the range, you should send me a link and get it air-refuelable from the KC-10. Drogues work on her even they invisible in MP for unknown reasons. Boom works fine.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:53 am

Changed mind, taking the F4N by dave it is aar ready.
legoboyvdlp

Postby KB7 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:20 am

legoboyvdlp wrote in Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:53 am:Changed mind, taking the F4N by dave it is aar ready.

Actually that's what I thought, but it turns out it isn't. Now, though, Jwocky is now on the case. ;) :D We just hope he gets it before we're at 29,000. :D :P (And actually actually he took time tonight that he really didn't have, and I'm sure Skyboat had better things to do than sit on the ground for us, to see if he could quick-fix it.)

Anyway, I'm expecting a revised model before go-time... so now I'll commit to Jwocky's revised F-4N when he gets it up.
KB7

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:33 pm

@KB7, Someone refueled off me in a 707 in a F4N He said he got fuel.
Andyway, I'll do the same
legoboyvdlp

Re: Instructions on How to Fly the new MD-10

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:48 pm

drdavid wrote in Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:15 pm:Hi all--

Code: Select all
General Instructions for Starting the MD-10

2. First, Rembrandt has to be enabled.  I know this is an issue for some graphics cards, but if your card can handle it, it really is an essential part of the MD-10’s performance in any condition other than full daylight.

Cheers,

Skyboat

:shock: :? :|

Skyboat, I am totally unable to use rembrandt. It just looks as a bigblackblob in my screen. Do you think that makes me screw to attempt using yours ;(
IHCOL
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby Jabberwocky » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:26 pm

Actually, I use the MD-10, KC-10 all the time without Rembrandt. She looks good, only less bright-lighted and she works just fine. No reason for a Rembrandt-panic here.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:41 pm

Great :P.
Thanks JWOCKY
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby Jabberwocky » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:20 am

Okay,

MD-83: USA Tour Ready! http://www.TheJabberwocky.net/downloads/MD-80.zip
This contains only an MD-83 since the other variants would be anyway a little short in range for this leg. Plane name for --aircraft= is MD-83

F-18D: USA Tour Ready! http://www.TheJabberwocky.net/downloads/F-18D.zip
Plane name is F-18D_hornet ... hey, that wasn't my idea, I only updated the aar ...

F-4N: Looks good ... http://www.TheJabberwocky.net/downloads/F-4N.zip
KB7 and SkyBoat are testing it right now. Plane name is F-4N. There is also a CAS in the folder, but I didn't mess with her ...

KC-10: USA Tour Ready! http://www.TheJabberwocky.net/downloads/MD-10.zip
Drogues are still invisible in MP, but the work (I literally did some sucking there)
This package includes the MD-10ACF (long range with stronger engines), MD-10F (Freighter, also with stronger engines now), MD-10P (the original engines as when the MD-10 was introduced), KC-10 (tanker with stronger engines now).

I haven't heard anything about F-15s since a while, so I assume, that's obsolete for the Tour?
Jabberwocky
Retired

Postby KB7 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:30 am

Jabberwocky wrote in Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:20 am:Okay,

F-4N: Looks good ... http://www.TheJabberwocky.net/downloads/F-4N.zip
KB7 and SkyBoat are testing it right now. Plane name is F-4N. There is also a CAS in the folder, but I didn't mess with her ...

The new F-4N above does refuel now; it did not before - at least with the KC-10 which will be the tanker for the tour. (Prior versions did work, but Jwocky found that the refueling code in the model was made obsolete.)

It has at least one remaining issue which I'll attempt a troubleshoot on, the behavior is: Refueling will fill all tanks, including the drop tanks (they start filling first.) Once the external tanks are at 100% fuel the plane no longer burns fuel at all (everything stays at 100%.) Reduce tanks 1/2/3 to 0% and leave only tank 0 will cause the main tank to start burning again.

But it does now refuel. :) Thanks Jwocky! (And Skyboat for the testing.... :) )
KB7

PreviousNext

Return to Multiplayer events