Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

The Festival of FlightGear - 2 & 3 May + 7 & 8 Nov 2015

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

The Festival of FlightGear - 2 & 3 May + 7 & 8 Nov 2015

Postby elgaton » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:08 am

This is the thread to discuss everything related to the Spring and Autumn 2015 editions of the Festival of FlightGear.

Autumn 2015 edition: November 7th and 8th, 2015 (FSWeekend 2015)
Time: All weekend Sat 00:00-Sun 23:59 UTC

ATC: will be offered on Mumble (with MPChat as a backup).
Setting up Mumble | ATC Tutorial (how to interact with controllers) | Phraseology
Manned airports and ATC channels:
  • LOWW Tower (ElGaton) - Channel: Event FG Festival -> LOWW_TWR - ATIS on FGCom (122.950) - Note: it seems the FGCom server has crashed, so the ATIS will be provided only if it comes back up.
  • Wien Center (KIWI34) - Channel: Event FG Festival -> LOWW_CT
  • LOWI (N3266G) - Channel: Event FG Festival -> LOWI_TWR
  • LSZS (legoboyvdlp) - Channel: Event FG Festival -> LSZS_FIR
  • LSGG (IAHM-COL) - Channel: Event FG Festival -> LSGG_TWR
  • LSZH (aiannuzzi99) - Channel: Event FG Festival -> LSZH_TWR
  • LFSB/LSZM (Thefan630) - Channel: Event FG Festival -> LFSB_TWR
Participating ATC outside Austria/Switzerland:
  • LFLL (daweed) - Channel: FRANCE ATC Services Channel -> LFLL - Lyon Saint-Exupery
  • LIPA (J Maverick 16) - Channel: NIATCA ATC Services Channel -> LIPA - Aviano Air Base

We kindly ask pilots to file flight plans/follow published procedures if able; doing so will greatly speed up the work for us controllers.

Suggested scenery:
Other airports can be downloaded via TerraSync.

Charts:
  • Austria: Austro Control eAIP site (choose "Actual version" -> "Part III - AD" -> "AD 2")
  • Switzerland: Eurocontrol (free registration required) | vACC Switzerland (no registration; recent, but might not be the latest version)
    • Pilots flying from/to LSZS (Samedan) should read the special pilot briefing to make themselves familiar with the peculiar approach procedures.
For additional ATCs outside the Austria/Switzerland area:
  • France: SIA (choose the version of the AIP currently in force -> Part 3/Aerodromes -> Section AD2).
  • Italy - Aviano: SkyVector (pointers to the Italian MIL AIP appreciated)

Flight plans: file them on Lenny's website. (Flight planning tutorial)

Repository: we will provide ground networks (to avoid starting on runways), route manager files (to let you enter updated SIDs/STARs in your autopilot) as well as OpenRadar files (for controllers). Get them from here (installation instructions are in the README file).
------------------------------
Old editions:
Spring 2015 edition: May 2nd and 3rd, 2015
Time: All weekend Sat 00:00-Sun 23:59 UTC
See progress and feedback from this post onwards.

2014 edition: November 1st and 2nd, 2014
See the dedicated thread
Last edited by elgaton on Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:37 am, edited 10 times in total.
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Re: The Festival of FlightGear - 7 & 8 Nov 2015

Postby elgaton » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:54 am

Here's a summary of the points that were already made in the 2014 thread:
  • The Dallas area is a viable candidate - DFW in particular (it has already a basic 850 layout and some models), however European towers may be far and the terrain is flat.
  • Another good choice might be the US West Coast (KLAX, KLAS, KPHX).
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:25 am

One disadvantage to LAX is its closeness to KSFO and its complexity in TerraSync causing horrible FPS. But DFW is good though as you say far from europe.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:54 pm

About ZFW (DFW and center)

Well the place is actually not majorly developed. I see this in terrasync at the moment

I was working a few months back into creating the DFW scenery, and I kinda stopped along on the progress when it was looking something like this

Lots of modelling + all texturizing + all ligthmapping needed. That is still lots of works. Yes, I had got some progress, a lot of work actually too, but not in a publishable state yet.
I may encourage myself and others to work on this project, depending on what we deciding for 2015

IHCOL
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:18 pm

@ALL

If distance to Europe is a bigdeal, I suggest a few European locations for also consideration below:

• U.K 2015 (London particularly has beautiful scenery in several of its 7-in-the-city airports), besides multiple develop accross the county. In 2014 JAFVA flew in from Edingburgh area, that actually looks neat.
  • Italy 2015: Airport of the North Italy are very very cute. Gotta Love Linato LIML, besides the NIATCA guys had done some progress over Verona
  • Switzerland-Austria 2015: Who doesn't want to have Basel and Innsbruck as an event hub, for real?
  • France 2015: Give me some supercomputers and Paris is the place to go

If distance to Europe just causes our shoulder to rise, then I will say
  • Texas 2015: DFW (all ZFW area) and lets get dirty developing. Besides all Texas have fantastic places. Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston (2 airports). Once again, flat Mexican Tortilla (more locally appropriate than pancake )
  • Caribbean 2015: Will the flooded airspace improve in 1 year?
  • Hawaii 2015: Many cool developed scenery in the middle of nowhere. For real. Great for GA islandhopping
  • West-Coast. KSFO is close but not within radarspace. Including example KLAX KLAS KPHX.

I would really like to see a FG-community that is less Europe-centric. But I guess that's an inane dream.
Last edited by IAHM-COL on Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby wlbragg » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:26 pm

If distance to Europe is a bigdeal

If it is, it shouldn't be.
Not because I live in North America, but because this should happen all over the globe over time if part of the benefit is to help update areas that otherwise might not be.
I can't wait to fly in and out of "detailed" South American jungles or African savannas or over Down Under in the Outback.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:30 pm

@Wilbragg: Two thumbs up

Yesterday, flying JAFVA I got a report for our Second Officer G-SHOZ arriving in Beijing (ZBAA): He said

The more East I go, the Less Airport I get

He described Beijing as two un-connected parallel standard Runways.
REALLY? BEIJING?! that deplorable state for an Airport in Flightgear!

Amend me. Not "An Airport", but the Busiest airport in the world, or at least the one with the biggest World Traffic Growth. And all we have is two parallel standard runways?!
I am sure we need to come up as a comunity to find solutions to situations like this.

WIKI wrote:It was the world's second busiest airport in terms of passenger traffic from 2010-2013 and as of March 1 2014 it was the second-busiest airport in the world in 2014. The airport registered 557,167 aircraft movements (take-offs and landings), which ranked 6th in the world in 2012.[3] In terms of cargo traffic, Beijing airport has also witnessed rapid growth. By 2012, the airport had become the 13th busiest airport in the world by cargo traffic, registering 1,787,027 tonnes.[3]
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby simbambim » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:01 pm

I think that Scandinavia is a good place in Europe, too, except that perhaps it's not very well developed (I rarely see someone flying there). But it would be nice if every year it took place on another continent/part of the world. What about Japan? For the next year, probably North America is best as the second most developed after Europe.
Fly on VATSIM and die.
simbambim

Version: 3.2

Postby sanhozay » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:20 pm

My comment about getting less airport as I go east was based on a succession of assigned flights through India and China. VOHS is missing, VIDP has a promising looking control tower but half the airport is open fields and ZBAA is the two default layouts as described.

To be clear, this is an observation, not a criticism. Airports are developed where people fly (or is it the other way around?). I just looked at the online map and there is nobody between Israel and the date line. So nothing over China and India where I've been recently. Maybe that's time dependent to some extent but it's usually pretty quiet when I look at the map.

I'd put Heathrow before Beijing on a priority list, not because I live in the UK or think it's somehow more significant IRL, but because of it's proximity to the developed airports in mainland Europe. JFK too -- it has buildings and taxiways but are the ILS frequencies still messed up? That's incredible for one of the world's major airports.
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:53 pm

Fair point. Heathrow is the busiest airport in UK, receiving and sending the majority of transatlantics to the Americas. But in Flightgear its 850 dat only state blushes to the amazing other airports in UK area
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby wlbragg » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:11 pm

Unfortunately, I think USA or North America should wait until the new map server data is generated and turned into scenery. Maybe next year or the year after.
It would be ideal to pick a place where the base scenery isn't s!ated to be changed anytime soon but is already reasonably current. Asia, Russia, South America, Africa or Down Under would all get my vote.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:15 pm

I say some russian scenery is cool, but I dont know how much is patching Russian project, and how much is available in Terrasync.

For Southamerica, I believe Brazil has the most advanced Scenery.
Ludomo and I developed SKRG for Colombia, but It is my understanding that is the only developed and open airport in Colombia
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby ludomotico » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:22 pm

Müller has developed a lot of airports in Brazil, and they deserve to be considered. Also, we (the Spanish-speaking community) are moving from Iberia to Argentina as our next target. By next year, I guess FlightGear will have developed all major airports east of The Andes from Rio to Buenos Aires.

Also, navigating the many Caribbean islands may be fun, and Throsten & wlbragg showed there are a very nice material definition for that region.
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby onox » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:51 pm

IAHM-COL wrote in Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:18 pm:If distance to Europe just causes our shoulder to rise, then I will say
  • Texas 2015: DFW (all ZFW area) and lets get dirty developing. Besides all Texas have fantastic places. Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston (2 airports). Once again, flat Mexican Tortilla (more locally appropriate than pancake )
  • Caribbean 2015: Will the flooded airspace improve in 1 year?
  • Hawaii 2015: Many cool developed scenery in the middle of nowhere. For real. Great for GA islandhopping
  • West-Coast. KSFO is close but not within radarspace. Including example KLAX KLAS KPHX.

I would really like to see a FG-community that is less Europe-centric. But I guess that's an inane dream.

I vote for Caribbean, Hawaii and *cough* Texas *cough*. Arizona would also be cool if the red rocks and the big meteor crater are visible in the scenery.

btw: why is that flood bug of TNCM still not fixed? Is it something that is technically impossible for now or is it just that no one wants to press the "Click to generate new scenery" button in some-terrasync-app?

btw 2: why wait 1 year for another festival? It's only 1 or 2 days. Can't we organize something like it 2 or 4 times per year? There's enough time between events.
onox
Retired

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:59 pm

Should we make a poll for the location options?

@ONOX.
I think FESTIVAL once a year is a cool and reasonable time lag. In addition a coinciding event with FSWeekend, and a 48 hours event is really a nice target.

You are good to make those Route Manager files, but it will be nice to get you some space to develop that. Imagine we say, Texas. How about all this airports to fix: KAUS, KSAT, KDFW, KDAL, KIAH, KHOU, possibly others?!
Wouldnt you preffer having 1 year to work out all that vs having 3 months?

Besides, other activities needed:

1. Fix all the OpenRadar databases
2. Include missing RNAV fixes all around the area
3. Make nice complete 850dat for the airports
4. Make nice 3d models in the airports. (not just infestate the area with shared objects)

There are plenty of Multiplayer Activity going on in FG. How about the USA tour or the JAFVA I promote? or the Most Interesting Airports Tour that's bell-ringing around? and openLift, and the NIATCA project. The FGUK weekly events? The Jomo's Triangle? other events?
With this I mean, not that nothing will be occurring until the next FSWeekend, All I mean is that the FESTIVAL can be planned ahead with enough time to make it really an special Event, not JAME (just another multiplaying event)

Also, off course recurrent frequency can be open to vote. Bringing democracy to FG :P
IAHM-COL
Retired

Next

Return to Multiplayer events