Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

The Festival of FlightGear - 2 & 3 May + 7 & 8 Nov 2015

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Re: The Festival of FlightGear - 2 & 3 May + 7 & 8 Nov 2015

Postby Lydiot » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:22 am

Yes. That is exactly what I want.

Perhaps we should have fewer players.

Or maybe there's a middle ground where we spread the word, explain what it is, and get more players with skills joining.
Lydiot

Postby elgaton » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:53 am

Not fewer players (in my opinion) but spreading the word could be nice. (For this edition, I made sure the event was promoted by the FlightGear and FlightGear ATC Twitter accounts and that it appeared as a special event on Lenny's website; I also made a mention about it - although brief - in the newsletter).

(Also, I'm opening a new thread for discussing the Spring 2016 edition right now).
---
Now, time for a couple of screenshots from my ATC shifts:

Saturday 7th:
A typical view - kudos to KIWI34 for keeping the planes on course and properly separated

Looks like there was a bit of traffic around LSGG and LOWI

Sunday 8th:
Warty taking off

Kaa overflying the airport and D-FMPW entering downwind with his CRJ-700 (he managed to perform an excellent landing as well - not easy with that aircraft unless you have a joystick/yoke)

The last departing flights - SkyBoat and N2937 - leaving Vienna; the weather conditions were excellent during the whole Festival, they only deteriorated at this point - note the low visibility

The traffic was really nice, but still manageable (even at the times where I was manning LOWW alone).

Thanks to everyone who made this event possible - especially to IAHM-COL for helping me organize the Festival and managing to control twelve/fifteen planes at once, to KIWI34 for his excellent service at Vienna and to the many pilots flying in and out!
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby KIWI34 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:44 am

Wow what a weekend

I probably had the most fun since i joined just over a year ago.

I would like to say a huge thanks to IH-COL and Elgaton for organising the Event .It was very well thought out, and the other ATC's such as IH-COL himself and Elgaton and many more to name were very professional and helpful to all those pilots who flew during those tense 48 hours.

A Massive thanks to Elgaton , who was also at LOWW Vienna as the TW/DEL/GND , you did an 10/10 job at co-ordinating aircraft to park, depart and arrive at the airport. I enjoyed how we discussed the runways to use, and the approaches for arriving aircraft, controlling CTR was very fun especially when i handed targets off to LOWW_TW

Heres a few pics i got :

American ( ITA411 ) 411 , Kaa and JWOCKY on approach to runway 16 ( i tried to separate pilots by 3-5nm )

American ( ITA411 ) on short final for runway 29, while KL-666 is cleared for the approach, and ph-cor downwind of the Active

TEA 111 declaring an emergency after engine failure ( Surprisingly this was the only emergency declared throughout the 48 hours ) And again ITA411 on short final for the active in his A346

To all those pilots that flew into LOWW or into our Airspace, on behalf of myself and Elgaton we would like to thank you for your co-operation ( only one time i had to use a holding pattern ) and more importantly your skills to Aviate,Navigate and Communicate.
I hope you all enjoyed the FG Festival just as much as us and will definitely see you in the Spring
as my exams approach, my time for FG has now been limited ,i will see you skilled bunch of aspiring pilots in a month or two. :D

Over and out for KIWI
Callsigns : KIWI34 , CHT0054 ( seasonal )
Aircraft : ANZ 777-200ER ( South Pacific ) ANZ A320-214 ( Europe )
Want to know where I'm flying ? i always file a flight plan for every flight on :
http://flightgear-atc.alwaysdata.net/index.php5
KIWI34

Callsign: KIWI34
Version: 2019 1.1

Postby Lydiot » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:53 pm

elgaton wrote in Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:53 am:Not fewer players (in my opinion) but spreading the word could be nice.

Sorry for being facetious. Perhaps we can come up with a way to promote the event to pilots who have basic flying skills at the least and are not sociopaths. I think more traffic is better, with the caveats mentioned.
Lydiot

Postby danielHL » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:52 pm

elgaton wrote in Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:53 am:Kaa overflying the airport and D-FMPW entering downwind with his CRJ-700 (he managed to perform an excellent landing as well - not easy with that aircraft unless you have a joystick/yoke)

Thanks for the comments :) The transition was AP/Route Manager but i flew short final manually. The CRJ-700 is one of the most docile Jets available for FG and with practice you can even land her with a keyboard :)

Here during transition to LOWW RWY11.

On stand D29 in LOWW.

Hightech flying and ATC is all fun, but the most breathtaking views I got on my flight from LSGG to LSZA with the PA-34 Seneca II.

And thank you all for the great event. Flying with so many other pilots and several ATCs is much more fun. We should organize neighboring ATC sessions more often.

CU
Daniel
danielHL / D-FMPW
danielHL

Callsign: D-FMPW
Version: next

Postby elgaton » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:34 pm

danielHL wrote in Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:52 pm:The CRJ-700 is one of the most docile Jets available for FG and with practice you can even land her with a keyboard :)

I think I need more practice then :lol:

danielHL wrote in Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:52 pm:And thank you all for the great event. Flying with so many other pilots and several ATCs is much more fun. We should organize neighboring ATC sessions more often.

You're welcome! There are some regularly controlled areas (most controllers announce their planned sessions on Lenny's website) - see e.g. Europe on weekends. It's a bit difficult to plan many neighboring sessions more often - just organizing the Festival twice a year takes its time (some airports are generally modeled/improved before each edition, and OpenRadar/Route Manager files need to be prepared).
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Previous

Return to Multiplayer events