Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

The Festival of FlightGear - 2 & 3 May + 7 & 8 Nov 2015

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Re: The Festival of FlightGear - 7 & 8 Nov 2015

Postby Lydiot » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:41 pm

Again, I propose doing it twice per year. I'm not 100% sure how many people participated this year, but I can imagine people (like me) unfortunately missing out on it because of work, two-three times in a row. In addition while there was some advertising of the event I'm pretty convinced a lot of people didn't know about it. By having it more often more people can get wind of it and participate.

As for the location: I think if you decide now where to have it and choose an area that's not done, then the airports etc need to be developed. Unfortunately - and I don't intend to criticize people - we can't rely on that to happen. People say they will contribute x,y,z, and then real life gets in the way and either nothing is done or it's too little. I really don't think it's wise to select an area where there would be a need to develop a bunch of airports (you mention six!), because that's a lot of work to do and a lot to rely on having to happen.

I think it makes more sense to pick a region where airports are already relatively good looking. The US west coast area of KLAX/KLAS/KPHX is a pretty good example. And there's still room for both improvement on those airports I'm sure, as well as smaller ones around the area. And speaking of the area I once again push for a varied landscape. With the US west coast you get the ocean, desert, mountains, the grand canyon, rivers etc.

But I think South America could be a good choice if there's an area that is similarly densely developed. Or the Caribbean. Or England.
Lydiot

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:47 pm

Lydiot wrote in Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:41 pm: I can imagine people (like me) unfortunately missing out on it because of work, two-three times in a row

I was really wondering
You were so helping and enthusiastic planning IBERIA 2014 to end up not showing up....
But this makes it clear

Sorry man!
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby Müller » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:12 pm

ludomotico wrote in Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:22 pm:Müller has developed a lot of airports in Brazil, and they deserve to be considered.

Hi Ludomotico,
Thank you for your words.
I made a few more models to Porto Velho-SBPV-, which are already available in TerraSync but still not available on the map of KL-666.
Regards
I7-8700k - MSi Z370 Plus Sli - Galax RTX 2070 - G.Skill 16gb 3000mhz - SSD MX 500 -500gb, Hd 1tb Seagate, HD 2tb Wd - WC Corsair H100iv2 - Corsair RM 650 - Monitor 24'' Asus - Gab.Aerocool 800
Müller

Postby elgaton » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:18 pm

What if we settle on the following "compromise":
  • we hold the event twice a year and decide the locations well in advance;
  • the location for the November event will be chosen in an area needing improvement (this way, modelers have got almost a year of time to do their work - should be enough if two or three people work on the same airport, one could do the apt.dat, another one could model the buildings, etc.);
  • on the contrary, the location for the May event will be chosen in a developed area so that only the OpenRadar files need to be written.
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:51 pm

Good compromise, so I guess its either austria switz or west coast as they are the most developed I think?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby elgaton » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:13 am

IAHM-COL has opened two polls to help us decide the location and the frequency of the event:
Please vote there.
elgaton

Postby onox » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:30 am

elgaton wrote in Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:18 pm:What if we settle on the following "compromise":
  • we hold the event twice a year and decide the locations well in advance;
  • the location for the November event will be chosen in an area needing improvement (this way, modelers have got almost a year of time to do their work - should be enough if two or three people work on the same airport, one could do the apt.dat, another one could model the buildings, etc.);
  • on the contrary, the location for the May event will be chosen in a developed area so that only the OpenRadar files need to be written.

Yeah, that's a good compromise, I agree with that.
onox
Retired

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:50 pm

IAHM-COL wrote in Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:41 pm:The FG Folks had spoken

Ok... for the "Festival Organizer's Crew", it seems the most popular option by far is an spring and a fall Festival.
I 'm guessing we can make coincide the fall's with the FSWeekends on November yearly. How about 6 exact months for the Spring's?
That hits May 2nd and May 3rd, 2015! :D

IAHM-COL wrote in Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:47 pm:The FG folks had spoken :P

And about festival locations the most popular spot has been switzerland-Austria.
I think people here want to try some LOWI and LSZS for craziness and risk. Sounds fair to me! :P

The runner up is Brazil-Argentina on 1 additional vote above the West coast. Go SA! (Hits home for me, indirectly)

In any case, I like both options quite a lot. And I suggest therefore, to host the Spring Festival in South America, and the fall Festival in Europe. This because it is sooo much easier to fly in/out of EHAM and EHLE from the Alps, than it is from Las Pampas, and given the fall festival coincides to FSWeekend, it makes some logistical sense to be closer to home..

Opinions? Are we all in an agreement, and shall we begin organization for Argentina-Brazil Festival Spring 2015! :P
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:40 am

Is there any way I can help out besides ATC on this? Seems good enough.
legoboyvdlp

Postby Jabberwocky » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:47 am

Hi all,

okay, all I did for the last one was working on planes people wanted to fly there, so I am obviously not in scerny development. But as a mere "visitor", I would like to make some remarks, just as food for thought ...

1.) While most Europeans spawned basically near the airports in Spain, some people from the US came actually flying in. So, if distance from the US to Europe was no issue, why is distance from Europe to the US an issue?

2.) My old homebase for testing planes was KPHX. I left there because the whole "we do FG Festival on the West Coast down till Phoenix" and suddenly the place became somewhat to loaded for my back then quite small and lousy gpu. Do ... don't tell me, I moved for nothing.

3.) FG is, so I have heard, about flying and planes. Which is inherently connected to fly from A to B. A real international thing because most countries are to small to fly longer than 45 minutes and remain still in the same country. So, if you want Europe again, I suggest, to pick at least two countries. Maybe Italy and Sweden or such a combination, so it is worth to take off before you have to land again.

4.) If, as someone said, this is about to push development of areas, the argument, that an area is not developed enough for the festival is kind of ... (insert terms of no understanding here) ... because if that is true, it would be actually a reason to pick exactly such an area.
Additionally, it is nice, that Beijing has the most traffic in the world, but does it in the FG world as well? The real question seem to be, which airports we, the FG community want to have developed further. If we have so many people who want to fly to Beijing, okay, but since it took people years to notice that there are only tow unconnected runways, I assume, there were not many people there over those years ... just saying.

J.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY
Version: 3.0.0

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:09 am

@J

1. Good point I guess. But I noted that the votes were high for the West coast. (not for Texas thou). So, for many folks the distance was not such argument. I believe the leaders were more a matter of personal preferences of the poll participants, than a distance driven decision.

2. Well it looks like Skyharbour was gone in the legitimate democracy race :(

3. It is my understanding that in the festival one uses the offered hubs coming from or going to any place in the world you may so like. One can either hop from hub to hub (short flights usually) or one can plan coming from the antipode. It is for the aviator a personal decision. By the way, Austria and Switzerland, the "winning" host, is actually 2 countries :P

4. Fair point. But scenery development seems to remain a very disperse not very collaborative endeavor. Much people make a point that they did want "to Festive" in better developed places already, instead of making it an "improvement of world's scenery quest".
Is traffic driver of development or is development a driver of traffic in FG? My opinion is that the latter applies true.

IHCOL
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby elgaton » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:03 am

legoboyvdlp wrote in Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:40 am:Is there any way I can help out besides ATC on this? Seems good enough.

Of course!
  1. OpenRadar files for LOWW and LOWI are missing so far, since I'm planning to create them for at least one of these two airports we could create a set each;
  2. if you're good at modeling, some of there airports need to be improved, specifically:
    • Geneva needs an overhaul (the default scenery seems to have automatically generated, rough taxiways, signs and markings are not bad though, and buildings are missing);
    • Zurich is better but, again, buildings are missing (also, there is a version with 3D buildings in the X-Plane Airport Gateway, if Laminar Research agrees to release all data under the GPL we could include it in the FlightGear scenery);
    • Wien needs buildings as well (on the contrary, taxiways and markings are excellent).
elgaton

Postby sanhozay » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:56 am

I'd be happy to provide delivery to Austria/Switzerland from a more distant airport, as I did with Edinburgh last time. Same goes for South America. Something around the 350-400nm mark?
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:47 pm

I'll work on Samaden and Innsbruck. I assiume you mean SIDS and STARS and Taxiways?

Also how about parkings?
legoboyvdlp

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:34 pm

@lego.
Are you working on the most developed ones? They even have parkpos files.

@all.
Are we choosing swiss austria for May and Argentina Brazil for November? Or why is everyone focussing on the Europe hub at the moment?
IAHM-COL
Retired

PreviousNext

Return to Multiplayer events