Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

Festival of Flightgear Minigames-FSWeekend 2014

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Re: Festival of Flightgear Minigames-FSWeekend 2014

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue May 13, 2014 4:48 pm

@Ludomo
:D Well some one had already scheduled towering Cuatro Vientos [Not me]
See here
http://flightgear-atc.alwaysdata.net/V4 ... ToShow=180
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby BIZX » Tue May 13, 2014 5:32 pm

ludomotico wrote in Tue May 13, 2014 4:38 pm:Regarding the map, please, take into account you set the mark on Madrid-Cuatro Vientos (LECV), a small airport for general aviation. The large international airport and the one I assume it is going to be controlled is Madrid-Barajas (LEMD), at the north-east of the city :)

Actually, that's not a mistake - I have every intention of controlling LECU (typo on the map, now fixed). I prefer handling short VFR hops or GA IFR rather than long jetliner flights.

LEMD is open to anyone who wants it. :wink:
It's been way too long, but I'm back...and plan to stay that way. I hope.
BIZX

Callsign: BIZX
Version: Git

Postby Lydiot » Tue May 13, 2014 5:38 pm

BIZX wrote in Tue May 13, 2014 5:32 pm:
ludomotico wrote in Tue May 13, 2014 4:38 pm:Regarding the map, please, take into account you set the mark on Madrid-Cuatro Vientos (LECV), a small airport for general aviation. The large international airport and the one I assume it is going to be controlled is Madrid-Barajas (LEMD), at the north-east of the city :)

Actually, that's not a mistake - I have every intention of controlling LECU (typo on the map, now fixed). I prefer handling short VFR hops or GA IFR rather than long jetliner flights.

LEMD is open to anyone who wants it. :wink:

I'm just going to wait until you log on and then bump you off!!! :) ( :oops: )

I'm actually looking at all the options now and will probably decide later. In general it's probably a good thing if there are some nice smaller airports for all those wanting to fly uncontrolled.
Lydiot

Postby ludomotico » Tue May 13, 2014 7:47 pm

The problem with LECU is that it is not modeled :) It is the busiest general aviation in Spain and I haven't had yet time to research, model and set its many buildings. The airport layout also needs a huge update. LECU is a long requested airport in the Spanish community. I'll see what can be done in LECU.
ludomotico

Version: git

Postby elgaton » Wed May 14, 2014 8:45 am

Me and J Maverick 16 will be at Barcelona in the evening (I'll be there from 19 to 23 UTC on Saturday and Sunday). Feel free to come!
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW

Postby Lydiot » Wed May 14, 2014 3:38 pm

elgaton wrote in Wed May 14, 2014 8:45 am:Me and J Maverick 16 will be at Barcelona in the evening (I'll be there from 19 to 23 UTC on Saturday and Sunday). Feel free to come!

How can one tell if there's one or more ATCs for an airport / time-slot?
Lydiot

Postby elgaton » Wed May 14, 2014 4:03 pm

Lydiot wrote in Wed May 14, 2014 3:38 pm:How can one tell if there's one or more ATCs for an airport / time-slot?

Good point - BIZX asked to put a red marker on the airports that will have multiple controllers, I also propose to enter a specific remark on the time slots on Lenny's website that will feature more than one position.

Regarding the specific session, Maverick told me he'll probably offer ground service, so I think it will be him on the ground frequency and me in the tower. I'll send him an e-mail to check his specific availability and will update the Remarks section as soon as I get an answer.
elgaton

Postby Lydiot » Wed May 14, 2014 4:28 pm

elgaton wrote in Wed May 14, 2014 4:03 pm:
Lydiot wrote in Wed May 14, 2014 3:38 pm:How can one tell if there's one or more ATCs for an airport / time-slot?

Good point - BIZX asked to put a red marker on the airports that will have multiple controllers, I also propose to enter a specific remark on the time slots on Lenny's website that will feature more than one position.

Regarding the specific session, Maverick told me he'll probably offer ground service, so I think it will be him on the ground frequency and me in the tower. I'll send him an e-mail to check his specific availability and will update the Remarks section as soon as I get an answer.

I think all of this should be discussed in a dedicated "public" thread or discussion on the wiki. I think it'll be easier.

For example: Suppose we have a few people who wish to do approach service at LEBL, it would make sense that we get together and settle on a few STARs / SIDs with IAFs rather than any individual using a different set. Sharing those could cut down the workload since those who don't have time to research charts won't have to, and those that do won't end up with wasting time ending up with the same chart, or with a different chart which would be confusing for some pilots. And speaking of pilots; charts could be shared with pilots so they'd know a few options of what to expect.

Same with ground. Airport charts, decisions on what to do depending on which runways are active etc.

If it's all talked about "officially" it's easier for more ATCs to jump in.

What'cha think?
Lydiot

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed May 14, 2014 4:31 pm

elgaton wrote in Wed May 14, 2014 4:03 pm:Maverick told me he'll probably offer ground service, so I think it will be him on the ground frequency and me in the tower.

HI :D
(it's me again )

I may be flying from SouthAmerica on Saturday. But on Sunday, at 19-24, for the clausure times, I may be able to make for LECB_CT to be the center controller in the Barcelona FIR :D

Does it sound like something we can try?
Maverick (NIATCA) = LEBL_GN
Elgaton (NIATCA) = LEBL_TW
IH_COL (vATO) = LEBC_CT

Sun 11/02/2014 19-24Z
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed May 14, 2014 4:39 pm

Lydiot wrote in Wed May 14, 2014 4:28 pm:What'cha think?

I will reply to you in the other thread because this is not a minigames topic
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby Lydiot » Wed May 14, 2014 4:43 pm

IAHM-COL wrote in Wed May 14, 2014 4:39 pm:
Lydiot wrote in Wed May 14, 2014 4:28 pm:What'cha think?

I will reply to you in the other thread because this is not a minigames topic

Neither is half of the posts here. We need a separate thread for ATC questions, or a discussion on the wiki.
Lydiot

Postby METAL » Wed May 14, 2014 11:13 pm

Hey everyone! It looks like things have gotten a bit carried away with ATC talk, when this is the thread for scheduling mini games like races and such to hold during the Festival. I know I know, my fault partially for saying I was going to make an ATC thread then not doing it, but all ATC coordination is happening on the wiki page: http://wiki.flightgear.org/The_Festival_of_FlightGear,_November_2014 and Lenny's website: http://flightgear-atc.alwaysdata.net/V4/index.php5

That said, the ATC side of things is where this event will get interesting (and complicated). I look forward to reading the discussions in the wiki!
Two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights make an airplane.
METAL

Callsign: METAL
Version: 3.4.0

Postby METAL » Thu May 15, 2014 12:27 am

I think I'll get the ball rolling with a good, old-fashioned race.

The Pond Racer Pow-wow:

Sat, 14:00-16:00 UTC
Start/Finish line: A Coruna (LECO)
Required aircraft: Rutan Pond Racer
Race details: Pilots will take 3 laps, each lap is approx 85 nautical miles in length (subject to change when route is finalized). Fastest time in completing the 3 laps wins. There will be a designated timekeeper for the race, who will start the stopwatch at GO and mark time as each pilot crosses the finish line. This person’s stopwatch will be LAW. If any pilot runs their own stopwatch and the times differ due to lag, connectivity issues or other variables, the time keeper’s watch will be taken as the “official” score in all cases, except for game crashes (more below).

In case of game crashes:

As each pilot completes a lap, the timekeeper will record the time and mark it next to the pilot’s name. That way, if a participant’s simulation crashes or there is another serious instance of interference during the race, the pilot may start the lap over without losing any time. For instance, say callsign JOEBOB is halfway through his 2nd lap when suddenly, FG crashes. Oh the humanity! So JOEBOB tells the timekeeper via Mumble that his game crashed. The timekeeper tells JOEBOB no worries, you finished lap 2 in 32:11. As soon as you respawn and take off again, you can start lap 2 over from 32:11 just like before. Of course, this is where the honor system will come into play. Since the timekeeper only has one master time, they can’t keep track of everyone who needs to restart at different times. In case of restart, the pilot will have to record their own time then add it to the time the keeper had before their crash. So yeah, hopefully we won’t have any crashes…

Oh and if you crash normally, i.e. smashing your plane into the ground or a mountain, then you’re out of the race just like real life (though at least you won’t die like in real life!).

The Route: Coming soon! I have ideas but I want to fly them first and make sure they work. Check back soon.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights make an airplane.
METAL

Callsign: METAL
Version: 3.4.0

Postby ludomotico » Thu May 15, 2014 12:28 pm

METAL wrote in Thu May 15, 2014 12:27 am:Start/Finish line: A Coruna (LECO)

Oh, came on. Choose one of the already modeled airports :) https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=20 ... ,33.771973

The area of Galicia (North-west of Spain) is sparsely populated because it is far from my home (Catalonia, north-east) We have LEVX-Vigo and LEST-Santiago. I believe they are not yet in terrasync and they are only available in the custom scenery.

In my opinion, the best Spanish airports available in terrasync are in the Basque country and Catalonia: LEBB-Bilbao, LESO-San Sebastian, LEPP-Pamplona, LEBL-Barcelona, LERS-Reus, LEPA-Majorca, LXGB-Gibraltar. The custom Spanish scenery also includes some very good airports that are not free and cannot be submitted to terrasync: LEGR-Granada, LEVC-Valencia or LEIB-Ibiza to say a few. Also, in terrasync there are many small airports that I believe are quite interesting and since they are the ones I visit in real life, I think they are well modeled: LECD, LECI and LESU (all in the Pyrenees), LESL (in the island of Menorca), LEAX (Costa del Sol) Regarding the best modeled areas, including famous buildings out of the airport, I vote for Barcelona and Porto (Portugal)

If you want to organize a race resembling real life, in a few weeks LEDA-Lleida (in center Catalonia, fully modeled in FlightGear) will host the Lleida Air Challenge http://airracef1.com/lleida/ I will attend the race in case you need more information.
ludomotico

Version: git

Postby elgaton » Thu May 15, 2014 5:06 pm

METAL wrote in Thu May 15, 2014 12:27 am:I think I'll get the ball rolling with a good, old-fashioned race.

The Pond Racer Pow-wow:
<snip>

Added to the wiki - will update the details as soon as you post them here.
elgaton

PreviousNext

Return to Multiplayer events