Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

The Festival of Flightgear-1&2 Nov, 2014

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Re: The Ultimate MP Fly-in

Postby Jabberwocky » Thu May 08, 2014 8:52 pm

Hi,

the way I understood "list" is like a "I intent, who else" thing, not an exclusive or inclusive thing. Just a list of people who intend to start for example in the US Thursday evening or such and another group, starting in South-America. A tool to allow people to meet in the air for example. Basically to allow for example last minute participants to see, okay, JWOCKY starts at UTC 0300 or something from KPHX, another guy starts at what 0530 from KJFK and they meet at position blah/blah at what time ever and can decide to hold for that point. Not even complete flightplans.
But then, we have obviously a little time till Fall.

J.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY
Version: 3.0.0

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu May 08, 2014 9:17 pm

@Jabber
Cool with me.

Priorities first. We need METAL to confirm a DATE-TIME-PLACE.
There is not point for me to set a departing time if I don't even know where/when I will be flying to.
After that is set, I will make sure to let you know my item to your list, so we can meet in the air... after all that is what this event is all about

I
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby METAL » Sat May 10, 2014 6:46 am

Where will our heroes host the fly-in?? Will it be in Europe? Asia? The USA? Somewhere unexpected? What could the details possibly be!? Tune in next week for the exciting conclusion of: THE ULTIMATE EVENT!

The World will be watching...
Two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights make an airplane.
METAL

Callsign: METAL
Version: 3.4.0

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat May 10, 2014 2:07 pm

ROFL!
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby Rick Ace » Sat May 10, 2014 2:49 pm

IAHM-COL wrote in Sat May 10, 2014 2:07 pm:ROFL!

Hey buddy! Are you confused too :?

Plot Twist: The event will be held underwater via UFOs. :lol:
Rick Ace

Callsign: rickace
Version: 2.6.0

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat May 10, 2014 3:01 pm

I found it a hilarous post. Don't know how twisted it will be, but definitely waiting for the confirmed announcement!
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby Jabberwocky » Sat May 10, 2014 6:49 pm

How about the tourist route through the Grand Canyon?
Jabberwocky
Retired

Postby Lydiot » Sat May 10, 2014 6:52 pm

IAHM-COL wrote in Thu May 08, 2014 9:17 pm:@Jabber
Cool with me.

Priorities first. We need METAL to confirm a DATE-TIME-PLACE.

Make it a poll or something. If people are interested in participating and are posting about it then it seems it'd be a good thing to do. Or?
Lydiot

Postby Jabberwocky » Sat May 10, 2014 6:58 pm

Well, METAL said next week, so I wait till next week to see what he says.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Postby METAL » Sun May 11, 2014 6:12 am

So, when I said a week, I really meant a day and a half. :D

Date: FS Weekend 2014 (TBA)
Time: All weekend Sat 0:00-Sun 23:59
Event Nexus: Madrid

I know I’ve kept you waiting for the details but the wait is now over! I’ve read and meditated on you suggestions, and I’ve made a few decisions. I like the idea of holding the event in Spain/Portugal. It’s large enough to accommodate everyone and has a wide variety of terrain and airports, including several mountain ranges that would make good, clear boundaries between controlled and uncontrolled airspace. I know there were several votes for the Caribbean, but most of the airports are small and it would exclude pilots wishing to fly large planes. I also liked the idea of using Madrid as a global epicenter for pilots wishing to fly into the area from their respective countries (I'm calling it the event nexus because it sounds cool).

As to the when, I liked the idea of holding the event over a 48hour period during FS Weekend. The exact dates are TBA but it looks like it will be in the fall, giving us tons of time to prepare for the event. Whenever the dates are set, we will schedule a trial run a few weeks beforehand to work out the bugs (fantastic idea elgaton).

Jabberwocky had the idea for a big bird event, and it made me think: what if we had several mini-events within the main one that people could organize? Besides the big bird fly-in there could be races, glider tow events, and other stuff going on to keep things spicy.

Well, now that we have the when and where, the fun part begins. We should figure out which airports will be controlled, who will control them and when. We can organize mini events and figure out the times so they don’t conflict. Modelers can descend upon the Iberian Peninsula updating scenery and airports. There is still the issue of airspace separation, whether to do vertical, horizontal or some combination. Since I'm not really an ATC guy, I'd definitely appreciate suggestions in that department. As for communication, should there be an accepted default method for the event or should we just let people use whatever they have/like? For instance we could establish Mumble or Teamspeak as default voice comm and use the in-sim chatbox as backup? Another thing to consider...

P.S. Rick Ace called out my Shyamalanian plot twist for having an underwater UFO event so I had to change things up...
Two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights make an airplane.
METAL

Callsign: METAL
Version: 3.4.0

Postby KL-666 » Sun May 11, 2014 1:15 pm

Great choice Iberia.

I flew around the north-east with a dr400 and found out that almost a 100% of the airports in that area have buildings (about 15 airports). It is just a GA paradise.

For the big jets Iberia must be fun too. I estimate for a decent flight you need the distance of half Iberia.

Lately i notice many pilots and atc's use Mumble (at least in Europe). So if you use that as standard, there is already quite a good user base. (I do not know what goes on in Teamspeak by the way)

Kind regards, Vincent
KL-666

Postby Philosopher » Sun May 11, 2014 1:30 pm

METAL wrote in Sun May 11, 2014 6:12 am:(I'm calling it the event nexus because it sounds cool)

That's pretty close if you look at the English word's definition: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/nexus

I think the Latin word has some better definitions though (#3 and #4) ;): http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/nexus#Noun_2
Philosopher

Postby Hooray » Sun May 11, 2014 1:43 pm

now I finally understand that Star Trek title !!
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby elgaton » Sun May 11, 2014 2:57 pm

METAL wrote in Sun May 11, 2014 6:12 am:We should figure out which airports will be controlled, who will control them and when.

I discussed this topic a bit with other NIATCA ATCs, most of us are willing to temporarily "relocate" to Spain. We thought it would be nice to provide "full service" (man all positions - ground, tower, approach) at a major airport like Barcelona (this way Madrid will remain open to free, uncontrolled flying) and/or to control other airports in the area (like Porto - that would be great for the mini-events METAL proposed).

As for the times, on Saturday/Sunday I'm usually available in the afternoon and in the evening (about 1230-1630 and 1800-2200 UTC, with DST in effect).

METAL wrote in Sun May 11, 2014 6:12 am:There is still the issue of airspace separation, whether to do vertical, horizontal or some combination.

I checked some approach plates for Barcelona; STARs there start about 60 NM away from the airport, so I think declaring the airspace in a 60 NM radius and up to FL130 "controlled" should be enough. (Of course, we still need to sort out the details to make this event as inclusive as possible - the posts by Lydiot and Rick Ace hit the nail on the head).

METAL wrote in Sun May 11, 2014 6:12 am:As for communication, should there be an accepted default method for the event or should we just let people use whatever they have/like?

We should definitely set an official method (having more than one voice communication system is not practical and realistic at all). As KL-666 said, Mumble (plus text chat as a backup/for those pilots who can't use voice) is popular around here.
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun May 11, 2014 3:33 pm

@JabberWocky and @Everyoneelse

Guys you know my plan: SKRG-LEMD
Plane to be determined ;)
IHCOL
IAHM-COL
Retired

PreviousNext

Return to Multiplayer events