Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

EDDF-Triangle

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Re: EDDF-Triangle

Postby benih » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:03 am

Thank you for that heads up!

I personally would also encourage all users to use mumble, so you can recognize jomos voice.
He really is a nice person and there is no need to fear talking to him, and it makes things much more easy than typing.
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX

Postby jomo » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:55 am

X-mas wishes and reality!!
I hope you all had some wonderful Xmas time and got all the presents you prayed for.

Just a little hint for ALL that did not get the highly wished Mic + Loudspeaker for using MUMBLE:
* I guess just about all FGFS-users do have a HANDY
* You can use that by installing the ChargeFree mumble on your Handy
* So you do not need to touch Your PC to use mumble - just use it from your HANDY!
I admit: Using mumble on handy is a little more complicated (using hands for keyboard plus handy) - but it works fine!
And ask anybody: It is much more fun than typing- not only for the poor/overloaded ATCs !!!

See also http://www.emmerich-j.de/mumble/mumble.html
jomo / ATCjomo + EDDFjo + EDDFjo1 + EDDFjo2
ATC at EDDF Fr,Sa,Su,We from 20:00 to 24:00 CET/MEZ., see http://www.emmerich-j.de
jomo

Callsign: jomo EDDFjo1+2

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:29 pm

what, may i ask, is a "handy"? the only things i know of ever called that are walkie-talkies and i don't know of any walkie-talkies that you can load arbitrary programs on...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby D-ECHO » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:41 pm

Handy is the german word used for mobile phones and smartphones :)
D-ECHO

Postby benih » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:05 pm

Funnily most germans think, „handy“ is English :)
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX

Postby jomo » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:49 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:29 pm:what, may i ask, is a "handy"? the only things i know of ever called that are walkie-talkies and i don't know of any walkie-talkies that you can load arbitrary programs on...

Well: if a German "handy" is in English a "Walkie-Talkie" (or as the dictionary says "mobile phone") --> I guess that is not a big problem!

But I guess it would be a real big problem if e.g. a "SAMSUNG Walkie-Talkie" would not accept the same free applications as a "German SAMSUNG Handy ".

Pls check that - otherwise pls give me an idea how we can solve that worldwide for 100's of languages .
jomo / ATCjomo + EDDFjo + EDDFjo1 + EDDFjo2
ATC at EDDF Fr,Sa,Su,We from 20:00 to 24:00 CET/MEZ., see http://www.emmerich-j.de
jomo

Callsign: jomo EDDFjo1+2

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:34 pm

i thank you all for explaining to me what was meant by the use of the term "handy" to mean "mobile phone"... that was a new one...

FWIW: these (images below) are walkie-talkies... they are aka handie-talkie aka HT... i'm pretty sure this is where the short form "handy/handie" originates from... basically, any hand held two-way radio that operates off of batteries and broadcasts at up to 4 watts (i think)... think about military/police hand held radios, hand held CB radios, and hand held shortwave radios and especially the two-way traffic aspect of them ;)

Motorola Handie-Talkie SCR536 Portable Radio - Motorola ...
motorolasolutions.com › company-overview › history wrote:1940: Creating the Handie-Talkie Radio. Motorola traces its origins of portable two-way radio technology to the World War II Handie-Talkie military radio. Prior to ...

"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Previous

Return to Multiplayer events