Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

EDDF-Triangle

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Re: EDDF-Triangle

Postby WoodSTokk » Mon May 11, 2020 5:31 pm

The problem is that the server use a self signed certificate, so Mumble can't check the validity of it.
Normally, if you connect the first time, a dialog should pop up and inform you about the unknown certificate.
You can dismiss this certificate and Mumble will not connect to this server, or (if you trust this server) you can accept it.
If you accept the certificate, Mumble store the certificate as valid and will never ask you again.

Tested on Debian 10 (Buster) with Mumble 1.3.0.
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby AAL545 » Tue May 12, 2020 5:38 am

Don't mean to high jack this discussion so just jump over me and keep going.

Jomo; regarding my last flight into EDDF on May 10 2020 I approached from the west with Vectors all the way, now you were busy and I didn't get the descend to 3000 advice,
also I kind of lost where I was otherwise I would have asked to descend.
What I would suggest is to stay on a transition pattern, for example continue to RID then radial 292 that way the pilot knows he or she needs to descend shortly after the turn.
I realize it's my fault but when it's very busy this approach makes it easier for you and the pilot.

AAL4955
AAL545

Postby jomo » Tue May 12, 2020 9:04 am

AAL545 wrote in Tue May 12, 2020 5:38 am:Jomo; regarding my last flight into EDDF on May 10 2020 I approached from the west with Vectors all the way, now you were busy and I didn't get the descend to 3000 advice,
also I kind of lost where I was otherwise I would have asked to descend.
What I would suggest is to stay on a transition pattern, for example continue to RID then radial 292 that way the pilot knows he or she needs to descend shortly after the turn.
I realize it's my fault but when it's very busy this approach makes it easier for you and the pilot.
AAL4955

Well - do not feel guilty: Such missing of advises is the ATC's problem: You may have noticed that this was about the most busy session ever at EDDF - especially due to a group of youngsters with a big typing "mouth" - i.e. they know everything better - but are unable to follow advise nor use mumble. I really was in stress several times! And because it is impossible to predict their movements I cannot predict what the situation is when you arrive! I suggest: If missing further advise Just go into an Holding-Pattern and advise ATC.

By the way: We like those overcrowded situations - because that makes more and more "newbies" to join our sessions and even use mumble
I am sure: LITTLE IDIOTS NEVER WIN!
And for future: It may be a good exercise to get familiar with flying Holding-Patterns! If that amount of participants even grow more (what I hope!) we may have to advise Holding patterns even more often - very officially! And in case someone wants to learn more: see
https://www.google.com/search?client=ub ... 8&oe=utf-8.
And see in our session-films the Holding-Patterns over: RID, PSA, CHA, GED, MTR, TAU.

Pls be patient - some of those little "WantToBeBig" will learn: It is more fun to simulate - than trying to destroy!
jomo / ATCjomo + EDDFjo + EDDFjo1 + EDDFjo2
ATC at EDDF Fr,Sa,Su,We from 20:00 to 24:00 CET/MEZ., see http://www.emmerich-j.de
jomo

Callsign: jomo EDDFjo1+2

Postby AAL545 » Thu May 14, 2020 5:55 am

And for future: It may be a good exercise to get familiar with flying Holding-Patterns!

This is a good idea and I am semi prepared to do so.

I would still prefer using a VOR as transition in the future instead of almost straight in, unless of course there is only one or two planes to deal with.
Having said that, what I have noticed is it can be slow and all of a sudden there are 5, 6 or more on your radar, this is why I prefer to stick to a transition method.
Easier for you, and easier for me.
The only exception I can think of is if two planes would meet at that VOR at the same time, so ATC would advice for one to slow down and or the other to speed up a little...

I like this, this takes it to the next level for me if we would have to go into a holding pattern....

AAL4955
AAL545

Postby WoodSTokk » Thu May 14, 2020 1:08 pm

No need to change speed. Holding patterns are stackable.
The first aircraft in holding is on holding altitude. If a second aircraft enter the holding, the ATC advice a altitude 1000ft above the first one.
If the first one exit the holding for approach, the second one descend to the normal holding altitude (after ATC advice).
So a holding pattern is stackable in 1000ft steps.

For aircrafts without GPS or INS, it is better to hold over a radio beacon (VOR or NDB).
This is also a nice situation to practice radio navigation and holding pattern.
WoodSTokk

Postby jomo » Fri May 15, 2020 7:37 am

AAL545 wrote in Thu May 14, 2020 5:55 am:
I would still prefer using a VOR as transition in the future instead of almost straight in, unless of course there is only one or two planes to deal with.
Having said that, what I have noticed is it can be slow and all of a sudden there are 5, 6 or more on your radar, this is why I prefer to stick to a transition method.
Easier for you, and easier for me.
AAL4955

Especially this is the problem: How can I predict what route to define for you when entering my area - if there are "suddenly 5-6 more" targets inbetwen you and the runway? Usually I assign you a route via VOR's etc (like the STARs) - but if suddenly "5,6 more" show up --> then I usually cannot assign a different route - but very easily I can tell you "circle 1 (or more) circles" in the Holding Pattern and let the next incoming just enter the HoldingPattern 1000 ft higher! Then when you get called out of the HoldinPattern --> the higher ones above you in the circle get down 1000 etc etc etc. That way no redirection or similar is needed! (the only problem: You may have to wake me up if you get hungry or sleepy inside the circle if the ATC forgets you! (of course that only happens to other ATC's - never to me!!!!)
I believe that would add to our "simulating reality"!
Thank to you for being such a reliable guest and tester.
ATC at EDDF Fr,Sa,Su,We from 20:00 to 24:00 CET/MEZ., see http://www.emmerich-j.de
jomo

MUMBLE

Postby jomo » Sat May 16, 2020 7:47 pm

with the newest version of "mumble" the mumble server "flightgear-radio.autosoft.fr." does not work any more - it reports:
"This server is using an older encryption standard, and is no longer supported by modern versions of Mumble"

Does anyone know a good server-replacement ??
jomo

Postby Octal450 » Sun May 17, 2020 12:08 am

Jomo: for me it's working. Weird...

Missed you in our flight in earlier :( (19:30Z)

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby jomo » Sun May 17, 2020 9:55 am

Octal450 wrote in Sun May 17, 2020 12:08 am:Jomo: for me it's working. Weird...
Missed you in our flight in earlier :( (19:30Z)
Kind Regards,
Josh

Hi Josh - long time no see - I missed you (and your servers)
BTW: The EDDF sessions are Fr,Sa,Su,We and always begin at 20:00 till max 24:00. So seems you were tooo early!

To my mumble problem: I found today:
* I have 2 Pc's - both upgraded yesterday to Ubuntu 18.04 by ppa
* the older Pc still works mumble ok - the newer one has the problem
* I found this morning:
** the old functional one has mumble 1.3.0
** the new non functional has mumble 1.3.0 + dfdg-1build1

Any idea? I will try to throw the dfdg out - - but no idea yet how to do that -- and what for that thing is needed!!. Do you have any ideas?
rgds
jomo

Postby WoodSTokk » Sun May 17, 2020 2:15 pm

I'm using Debian 10 (Buster) with Mumble (1.3.0~git20190125.440b173+dfsg-2) from the official Debian repo and it works.
It the very first connection to the server, Mumble is complaining about the certificate (its a self signed certificate without CA on top).
In this dialog, you choose 'Accept'. There after Mumble store your setting and accept this certificate and will never ask again.

If you choose 'Dismiss', Mumble will also store this choise, will never ask again and you can't connect to this server.

IDK where Mumble store this setting, sorry.
WoodSTokk

Postby Octal450 » Sun May 17, 2020 3:25 pm

jomo wrote in Sun May 17, 2020 9:55 am:Hi Josh - long time no see - I missed you (and your servers)
BTW: The EDDF sessions are Fr,Sa,Su,We and always begin at 20:00 till max 24:00. So seems you were tooo early!

Hi Jomo,
Oh? I flewed in last week and previous weeks? (WTF411), usually with j Maverick16. the servers cannot be added normally because I am going in college soon. So I think you should contact this man for this server, and ask him to upgrade his mumble version.
Usually we are taking off earlier than that, you are already there... so something doesn't make sense. (maybe you forgot to make DST time? which does not apply to UTC. Germany is 2 hours faster than Zulu right now, so 1930Z is be 21:30 germany time when I start.. :)
You was disconnect right as we takeoff. :(

jomo wrote in Sun May 17, 2020 9:55 am:To my mumble problem: I found today:
* I have 2 Pc's - both upgraded yesterday to Ubuntu 18.04 by ppa
* the older Pc still works mumble ok - the newer one has the problem
* I found this morning:
** the old functional one has mumble 1.3.0
** the new non functional has mumble 1.3.0 + dfdg-1build1

Any idea? I will try to throw the dfdg out - - but no idea yet how to do that -- and what for that thing is needed!!. Do you have any ideas?
rgds

To remove the old mumble:
sudo apt purge mumble

To add the mumble:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mumble/release
sudo apt update
sudo apt install mumble

Not sure what mumble you had, but try this one.. I believe its what I did on my second PC when I used mumble on it (Debian operation system)

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations

Octal450

Postby jomo » Sun May 17, 2020 8:16 pm

Thanks a million - you guys --> that total remove of mumble (and reinstall) worked.

With the new install the France server did not like my security - but offered to except me if I do not mind!
(and I did not care !)
So again. Thank you very very much !!!!!
jomo

Postby Octal450 » Sun May 17, 2020 10:03 pm

Fantastic glad to hear
I bring the MD-11 now ja?

Kind Regarsds,
Josh

Octal450

Postby islandmonkey » Mon May 18, 2020 4:52 pm

I appear to have a few problems with this method, firstly, I do not get a first-time connection message, Mumble remembers what servers I added even if I purge it, the certificate stays between re-installations (there appears to be no way to start over) and there is yet no Mumble PPA for Focal.
islandmonkey

Callsign: G-MNKY

Postby D-ECHO » Mon May 18, 2020 5:08 pm

islandmonkey, as it appears you are on Ubuntu, have you tried removing your local mumble settings folder (on kubuntu /home/USERNAME/.config/Mumble, so probably on Ubuntu there as well) ?
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)

PreviousNext

Return to Multiplayer events