Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

EDDF-Triangle

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Re: EDDF-Triangle

Postby jomo » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:10 am

Thank you guys - sometimes even I need some nice words. Thank You!
And just again one hint: If you select the movies you see above the table some more usable suggestions. i.e.
- how to install/use "mumble"
- how to learn the basics about flying (not just manipulate an autopilot!). (That "stupid ATC at EDDF" expects you to continue flying - even if your AP is not doing what you try to tell him! Even all LH-pilots point out that they need to fly more often without AP - to keep the needed skills - in case of ...!
- how to get the new GIT-scenery (as seen in my movies on http://www.emmerich-j.de/EDDF/Films/films.html )
etc.
jomo / ATCjomo + EDDFjo + EDDFjo1 + EDDFjo2
ATC at EDDF Fr,Sa,Su,We from 20:00 to 24:00 CET/MEZ., see http://www.emmerich-j.de
jomo

Callsign: jomo EDDFjo1+2

Postby jomo » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:10 am

(xfered/continued here from eng. forum)
I am deeply sorry that I (as a user) tried already a second time to get engineering to solve a problem caused by them! (The first time was FGCOM - were we finally had to chg. to MUMBLE). Quite frankly: As a user/customer I do not care what information's are exchanged and where and how and and and.... -- I am interested in: Does it work or not! (And I hope every engineer is interested in his design working properly - independent of if everybody follows the golden rules that shall coordinate many different eng. groups worldwide!)

Well: In this case it did/does NOT work. And even with putting this discussion on the engineering part of the fora I could not find any answer to my main problems:
    * I was told 3 times: Update to FGFS 2017.1 (or higher) and your problem is gone. I answered 3 times: I am since month's on 2018-3.2 - and still have the problem. I never got a comment to that mismatch between suggestion and reality.
    * I also found no answer to the question if now ALL models in all libraries worldwide and also in the local libraries of all users must be updated. I as ATC (that wants to film his customers) has a local Library of over 200 models! (and monthly get more!).
    * I know people that never updated there "wonderful working" FGFS over years! It maybe a good point to "urge" them to update - but till now I saw it as a big plus for FGFS that that was not needed!
But I guess I (as user) do not need answer's to all these problems. So I will continue this on the user-forum "Multiplayer events" to help users!

My suggestion for ATC's is: If using the OR-sessions add a direct link from ORCAM direct to a MP-server! I tested this WoodStock suggestion and it looks ok. Thus You may replace in your OR-CAM Start-command-file:
Code: Select all
--telnet=,,100,,5010, \
--multiplay=in,100,,5010 \
--multiplay=out,100,localhost,5010 \
with
Code: Select all
--telnet=,,100,,5010, \
--prop:/sim/multiplay/txport=5010 \
--prop:/sim/multiplay/txhost=mpserver03.flightgear.org \
Instead" of "mpserver03" you may take your preferred MP-server.

So let us continue to discuss in the user-forum.
Hope this helps.
ATC at EDDF Fr,Sa,Su,We from 20:00 to 24:00 CET/MEZ., see http://www.emmerich-j.de
jomo

Postby AAL545 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:35 pm

all one has to do is look at the commit logs for the craft they are using... this is why proper repository histories are so important

Where can I find this?

AAL4955
AAL545

Postby Richard » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:19 pm

jomo wrote in Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:10 am:I am deeply sorry that I (as a user) tried already a second time to get engineering to solve a problem caused by them!

That's quite rude and fails to appreciate the time and effort that I put in to diagnose the problem; I also looked at the OpenRadar source code repository to see if i could fix the problem but I couldn't find the latest source for OpenRadar and thus I raised an issue directly with the OpenRadar maintainer.

jomo wrote in Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:10 am:* I also found no answer to the question if now ALL models in all libraries worldwide and also in the local libraries of all users must be updated. I as ATC (that wants to film his customers) has a local Library of over 200 models! (and monthly get more!).

I did answer this question previously; so you clearly did not read or understand my reply.

Richard wrote in Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:32 pm:
jomo wrote in Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:35 am:* Are we still allowed to fly OLD models from many years ago ? (I see them weekly at EDDF!)

Yes; models are not affected by this change if you are using FlightGear 2017.1 or later then it will handle both V1 and V2 automatically.

Just to be clear all models from previous releases will usually work as well as they ever did.
Richard

Version: Git

Postby Octal450 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:55 pm

Richard,
I too have had constant issues with this 2017.1 + feature where aircraft do not show up properly. Jomo is just frustrated and does not mean rudeness. Its language barrier.

We appreciate all the times you and all put in to solve the problems. Just hope someday it will be solved fully :)

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby AAL545 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:00 pm

I too have had constant issues with this 2017.1 + feature where aircraft do not show up properly. Jomo is just frustrated and does not mean rudeness.

Take it out on me Richard if you want, I was the one who has repeatedly brought up the issue regarding the B777 landing gear and speed flaps not showing correctly on the ground,
I know this has nothing to do with models not showing at all hence switching back and forth the 2017.1 + feature, regardless, Jomo has been reading my posts and is doing all he can so
people can see there nice models in the films.
I also appreciate all the effort that is being put into FG and the aircraft but this issue is over a year old.
No hard feelings Richard, this is a great program and I have no time that Vatsim requires, I don't think I'll ever totally leave FG!!!!!!

AAL4955
AAL545

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:24 pm

Octal450 wrote in Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:55 pm:Richard,
I too have had constant issues with this 2017.1 + feature where aircraft do not show up properly.

What issues are these? I never saw anything like this (and you never mentioned that to me?). Perhaps it is to do with your LOD settings, using 'high detail only' works well (if you don't mind a little worse performance for not having to load the model at the last minute)
Last edited by legoboyvdlp on Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:56 pm

jomo wrote in Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:10 am:Well: In this case it did/does NOT work. And even with putting this discussion on the engineering part of the fora I could not find any answer to my main problems:
    * I was told 3 times: Update to FGFS 2017.1 (or higher) and your problem is gone. I answered 3 times: I am since month's on 2018-3.2 - and still have the problem. I never got a comment to that mismatch between suggestion and reality.

ya know? it wasn't until this last go round that anyone finally understood that it was your OR viewer FG that was having the problem... once that aspect was understood, it was a simple matter to test that specific scenario... i do not ever recall you specifically stating that it was your OR FG instance or that OR was even ""abusing"" the MP protocol to inject its view movements into FG... i've even run OR and didn't realize that the MP stuff was in play like that...

all in all, it comes down to several things piling up to prevent finding the problem and a solution...

1. language barrier (this is not a main thing but it does hamper things)
2. OR's use of MP to control your view
3. did you even know that OR was using MP? if yes, why wasn't that made clear months ago?

there are additional points, i'm sure, but i'm not going to push them... i'm tired, i've had too much caffeine, and it is 100+F (38+C) in this facility right now... i'm going outside and hope to find some place cool to relax...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby AAL545 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:58 am

Hi Richard,

I also looked at the OpenRadar source code repository to see if i could fix the problem but I couldn't find the latest source for OpenRadar and thus I raised an issue directly with the OpenRadar maintainer.

I looked at the OpenRadar development at GitHub and the last update was made Oct 10/2017.
I hope they can fix it.

AAL4955
AAL545

Postby jomo » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:43 am

The good news is
jomo wrote in Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:10 am:My suggestion for ATC's is: If using the OR-sessions add a direct link from ORCAM direct to a MP-server! I tested this WoodStock suggestion and it looks ok.
So I see no reason any more for me to continue to fight for another solution. But one question: Shall we put that solution into the http://wiki.flightgear.org/OpenRadar_FGFS_ORCAM - or do we still count on an other solution?
jomo

Postby daweed » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:00 am

jomo wrote in Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:43 am:The good news is
jomo wrote in Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:10 am:My suggestion for ATC's is: If using the OR-sessions add a direct link from ORCAM direct to a MP-server! I tested this WoodStock suggestion and it looks ok.
So I see no reason any more for me to continue to fight for another solution. But one question: Shall we put that solution into the http://wiki.flightgear.org/OpenRadar_FGFS_ORCAM - or do we still count on an other solution?

This not a solution, this is a workaround, the solution is to fix / update the OR code so that OR is fully compatible with FG protocols ... and the solution can only come from the main OR dev / maintainer or someone who will have knowledge to update the code. The problem is clearly on OR side and nowhere else
Windows 10 / Linux Mint 20
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X |32 Go RAM GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 Go
FG Interface
Lyon Saint Exupery Scenery

ATC on LFLL on Friday 19:00 UTC => 22:00 UTC
daweed

Callsign: daweed

Postby AAL545 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:24 pm

The problem is clearly on OR side and nowhere else

No offence when I say yes and no. The reason I say that is a code was changed on FG if I remember correctly and OR was not updated accordingly.
It'll take me a while to find exactly when this happened and when I do I'll post the date.
Just a thought here, since the developer/ maintainer of OR isn't responding maybe it's easier to change the code on FG.

AAL4955
AAL545

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:17 pm

no, the code in FG is not going backward for MP stuff... quite simply more data can be transferred providing a better MP experience... especially when it comes to being able to see other craft's animations and even their liveries...

there was never any reason to argue and fight about the problem, either... simply provide all the details that can be determined and bring it to someone's attention... then see what happens... i don't know where the OR maintainer is or why he takes such long hiatuses from FG but the problem is certainly there and there's only one current solution... call it a workaround if you want but that's all there is...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby AAL545 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:41 pm

no, the code in FG is not going backward for MP stuff... quite simply more data can be transferred providing a better MP experience...

I guess you are right regarding going backwards, not a good idea! We will just have to be patient.

AAL4955
AAL545

Postby WoodSTokk » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:39 am

Please remember that we have actually summertime, time of hollydays. It can be that the developer / maintainers are on vacation.
The problem exists now for 2 years but found the root 2 weeks ago.
In the meantime the developer of OR responded but he need time to investigate the problem closely.
So please be patiently, fix comes in some weeks.

And no, the actual workaround is only a workaround as i have stated in my post.
The drawback of the workaround is a higher load on the MP server (one more connection at a populated area).
It should only be used until OR is fixed.

PS @jomo: the movie ended before i landed, so i can't see how the aircraft veered to side at landing.
Anyway, found the problem, it is the new 'stiction' attribute in YAsim.
We will see us ;)
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

PreviousNext

Return to Multiplayer events