Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

EDDF-Triangle

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Re: EDDF-Triangle

Postby Johan G » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:34 pm

Slightly off topic about AI models

jomo wrote in Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:03 am:[...] I can only show models that are inside my local library - and that never can be all the worldwide available models in all formal or privet libraries. Right now my local libraries contain 203 models in 12.5 GB disks-pace! I guess that cannot grow + grow + grow. So I will not add every plane that will show up at EDDF! But I will install those models that are
a) contained in the FlightGear library (then available in the next session)
b) or new models tested/suggested by the designers (but pls limit it)

A long time ago some aircraft developers included an AI model with their aircraft. This, like most other AI models, would be very lightweight. The mechanism for these is still there even if it is not used as much, if at all. :(

In essence the model to be shown over Multiplayer is contained in the property "/sim/model/path" as a string with the path to the AC model or more commonly the the XML file with the animations, typically something like "Aircraft/<Aircraft>/Models/<Aircraft>.xml". This is sent over Multiplayer and the receiving FlightGear session first will look for the AI model "AI/Aircraft/<Aircraft>/Models/<Aircraft>.xml" or "...ac". If that fails it will look for the full model "Aircraft/<Aircraft>/Models/<Aircraft>.xml". If that too fails it will use the default AI model, which is the infamous yellow and blue glider.[1]

This is unfortunately not all that well known among the aircraft developers and was for a long time as far as I understand it barely or not documented.
____
[1] See also Howto:Animate models#File name of main model and animation XML file and Aircraft-set.xml#Not used for loading multiplayer aircraft on the FlightGear wiki.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby sfr » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:39 pm

Hi Johan,

that's very interesting. Shouln't that be added at a more visible place in the Wiki? I'd guess having AI models for all a/c in fgaddon would improve the FPS performance on multiplayer and maybe also for VATSIM.
sfr

Callsign: D-CSFR
Version: 2020.1.1

Postby jomo » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:07 am

Johan G wrote in Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:34 pm:Slightly off topic about AI models
In essence the model to be shown over Multiplayer is contained in the property "/sim/model/path" as a string with the path to the AC model or more commonly the the XML file with the animations, typically something like "Aircraft/<Aircraft>/Models/<Aircraft>.xml". This is sent over Multiplayer and the receiving FlightGear session first will look for the AI model "AI/Aircraft/<Aircraft>/Models/<Aircraft>.xml" or "...ac". If that fails it will look for the full model "Aircraft/<Aircraft>/Models/<Aircraft>.xml". If that too fails it will use the default AI model, which is the infamous yellow and blue glider.[1]

This is unfortunately not all that well known among the aircraft developers and was for a long time as far as I understand it barely or not documented.

Thank you very much for that info.
But it seems to me that is not really a solution for our OpenRadar/Or-Cam sessions at EDDF - even if all designers would follow the rules!.

Fact is: If that problem shows up I can solve it by downloading that Model from a given Library (there even may be the same model in different Designer library's and at different development-stati - but with the same model-name!). Of course you may now discuss if all designers follow the rules (as you describe) -- but I want to satisfy all pilot-participants in our EDDF-Triangle events. Do you have a suggestion for that?? That problem exists in reality - as you can see in all our films!!!

Pls do not suggest I should coordinate all users and designers of FGFS-models and/or enforcing
* model-design / structures
* only one librarie for same models
* for viewing all models e,g, with OR-Cam connected to OpenRadar
* etc

With that we may even be able to help people that use an older model XYZ (from the FGFS-library) to see the most perfect new model XYZ from another library during any event!

So if those problems show up I will continue to commit taking the models from the FGFS-library only! That may even help to convince designers puutting their design into the FGFS-library for everybody to find and or use those of course most fantastic new models.
jomo / ATCjomo + EDDFjo1 + EDDFjo2
ATC at EDDF Fr,Sa,Su,We from 20:00 to 24:00 CET/MEZ., see http://www.emmerich-j.de
jomo

Callsign: jomo jomoATC

Postby jomo » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:50 pm

One more to models not showing in movies
For new models there is a new Option in the "Multiplayer Settings":
"visible to all" vs. "visible to only 2017"

I have no idea why that was added - but it means that if you have a new model that may not be visible to others!! So pls always set this option to: "visible to all" -- otherwise many people will not be able to see you!! Again: Do not ask me for what that option is needed - because I believe all users should be able to see everybody --- is there anybody who just wants to see new models!?!?

So Please: Whenever You want to participate in the EDDF-Triangle pls do after starting :
1. Inside the cockpit open the top menu on the screen
2. Open "Multiplayer Settings"
3. Make sure for Compatibility is chosen: "Visible to all"

So we all may have the pleasure to see all about your pilot-skills with that beautiful model!
jomo / ATCjomo + EDDFjo1 + EDDFjo2
ATC at EDDF Fr,Sa,Su,We from 20:00 to 24:00 CET/MEZ., see http://www.emmerich-j.de
jomo

Callsign: jomo jomoATC

Postby Johan G » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:46 pm

Johan G wrote in Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:34 pm:Slightly off topic about AI models
[...]
This is unfortunately not all that well known among the aircraft developers [...]

jomo wrote in Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:07 am:Thank you very much for that info.
But it seems to me that is not really a solution for our OpenRadar/Or-Cam sessions at EDDF [...]

Pls do not suggest I should coordinate all users and designers of FGFS-models and/or enforcing [...]

I just wanted to mention that there is a slightly forgotten mechanism that could be more known. I would expect it to take many years before half of the aircraft in the FGAddon repository would have an AI model, even if everyone would be made aware of it.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Previous

Return to Multiplayer events