Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

EDDF-Triangle

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Re: EDDF-Triangle

Postby D-ECHO » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:43 pm

For reference, also see this and the following posts: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33344&start=90#p369358
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Postby LH-1701 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:59 pm

Hi,

a few days ago i was flying EGBB-EDDF with nearly full ATC coverage, and i heard this idiot on nearly every ATC channel.

What you can do to avoid this person will use your ID on mumble: You can register your ID on mumble, so only you can use it.

AS D-ECHO said, disclosing private infos on internet is highly restricted and so can be really problematic.
Also the IP address would only be useful to block him for one session. Usually the provider changes a client's IP address min. once in 24hrs and on every re-login to internet.

What all of you can do when he's there: just mute him and ignore him.

reguards,

tobias.
#ISupportJomo
LH-1701

Callsign: LH-1701
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby LH-1701 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:14 am

Hi,

really interesting what VOLADOR did in yesterday's movie:

http://www.emmerich-j.de/EDDF/Films/202 ... 05-218.mp4

(direct at beginning).

I'd suggest to generally open the taxiways N and L for departures and arrivals, this would avoid unneccessary taxiing and save time and fuel ;) Next time i'd like to request to land directly on N ;)

Hmmm...would it be possible to install an ILS for these taxiways ;) ?

reguards and a nice week,

Tobias, GEC-1701
#ISupportJomo
LH-1701

Callsign: LH-1701
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby jomo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:39 am

Changing to new MUMBLE
You all may have heard that "flightgear-radio.autosoft.fr" will not be supported much longer -
so let us try to use the new one "radio-mumble.flightgear.fr"

I did try with 2 PC's --> it seems to work.

But for changing the server I ran into problems finding out where to place what to change. So I try to help:

1) Start mumble as usual
2) On the first page "Mumble Server Connect" select "EDIT" or "Add New"
- into Address type "radio-mumble.flightgear.fr"
- leave port as is (or use "64738")
- username: Type the same username as used till now -- or use your FlightGear username
- Label is same as in Address: "radio-mumble.flightgear.fr" (no idea what it is used for)
3) Then hit "Connect" as usual --> and you have the same selection-structure as before

Let's try it --> I hope it works for all
jomo / ATCjomo + EDDFjo + EDDFjo1 + EDDFjo2
ATC at EDDF Fr,Sa,Su,We from 20:00 to 24:00 CET/MEZ., see http://www.emmerich-j.de
jomo

Callsign: jomo EDDFjo1+2

Postby J Maverick 16 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:32 pm

Hi Jomo, this evening a group of around 4 pilots of OPRF will fly to you from LIPA with estimated arrival around 1915z. All will be using Mumble.
To facilitate the movie and such, here are the links for the planes used:
- https://github.com/JMaverick16/Airbus_A330
- https://github.com/JMaverick16/KC-137R
See you this evening!
Regards, Mav
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, A330, C-32J, MH-60)
Flying with Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack + MFD Cougar
Aviation media on IG at: @j_maverick16.aviation
J Maverick 16

Callsign: J-Mav16
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby jomo » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:00 pm

J Maverick 16 wrote in Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:32 pm:Hi Jomo, this evening a group of around 4 pilots of OPRF will fly to you from LIPA with estimated arrival around 1915z. All will be using Mumble.
To facilitate the movie and such, here are the links for the planes used:
- https://github.com/JMaverick16/Airbus_A330
- https://github.com/JMaverick16/KC-137R
Hi Maverik
OK - I downloaded just now those 2 model-libs (and canceled the old ones).

Would be a nice try checking if all models are seen in movie (we had some problems with models after the newest FGFS release.

I assume all of those can land as well on 25L as also on 25R - would make it easier!
Hope to see you soon
ATC at EDDF Fr,Sa,Su,We from 20:00 to 24:00 CET/MEZ., see http://www.emmerich-j.de
jomo

Postby jomo » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:23 am

Regarding "aircraft-model" not visible in the ATC-films
i.e. visible as a radar-target on radar -- BUT NOT as as a model-view in the films!!!

I did some testing today and found out (e.g. with MD-11) that I cannot load that model due to:

----------------- The ERROR Msg is:
The selected aircraft requires FlightGear version 2019.2.0 to work correctly. Some features may not work as expected, or the aircraft may not load at all.
----------------
That FGFS-version is not not yet available for my system (Linux/Ubuntu) - so sorry: I cannot visualize those planes that depend on 2019.2.0) - you may use an older model or another one -- or do not care to see your fantastic looking model in the films

THUS: If You want to see your model in the movies - you should not use those models depending on 2019.2.0.

Sorry -- but that is life
jomo

Postby J Maverick 16 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:51 pm

Hi all, since the long-standing issues with having plane models visible over Multiplayer during EDDF ATC sessions have been constant, and the fact that the problem can be solved user-side until a proper solution is found, I decided with Jomo to write up a short and easy guide about how to prevent the display of the infamous blue-yellow glider in the movies.

First obvious step is to get connected to an MP server of choice (although 01 is the most used and reliable) from the Multiplayer settings:

From there, you will see the dialog which besides the usual Callsign and Server has the "Compatibility" drop-down menu from which you can select two options:

- Visible to all
    - Visible to only 2017+

Visible to all is the "legacy" MP protocol, while 2017+ is the newer, more reliable one.
You can find more info about the MP protocol on the Wiki: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Multiplayer_protocol.
At first glance you might think that 2017+ is the one you should use, but unfortunately, it won't work with the Orcam (the OpenRadar tool for watching planes inside FG) therefore it will only display the blue-yellow for Jomo or whoever uses it.

To avoid this, you can simply switch back to Visible to all if you used 2017+ when flying to/from Frankfurt and this avoid the issue.

If you are connected already, you can just toggle that option in the MP dialog and quickly disconnect/reconnect to make it effective. It's a very quick and easy solution to a rather big problem and doesn't require any tech skill or knowledge.

That said, I hope you found this helpful and that next time you fly around EDDF you remember this trick :wink:.
Kind regards, Mav
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, A330, C-32J, MH-60)
Flying with Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack + MFD Cougar
Aviation media on IG at: @j_maverick16.aviation
J Maverick 16

Callsign: J-Mav16
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby jomo » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:40 am

Multiplayer option "Visible to All"
Can anybody tell me what the advantage between "Visible to All" versus "Visible to only 2017+" is? What are the additional "goodies" for pilots with a newer FGFS-version - if they block-out all the others - e.g. during any FGFS-event?
jomo

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:43 pm

"visible to all" uses old protocol format where not all properties can be sent and some tricks (abusing unused properties) are used to send others...

"visible to 2017+" uses the new protocol format that allows for transferring more properties and also sends only those that actually update...

that's the two main things i can think of at the moment...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby WoodSTokk » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:18 pm

J Maverick 16 wrote in Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:51 pm:At first glance you might think that 2017+ is the one you should use, but unfortunately, it won't work with the Orcam (the OpenRadar tool for watching planes inside FG) therefore it will only display the blue-yellow for Jomo or whoever uses it.

Correction. ORCAM is simply a FG-Client and does understand the new protocol.
The problem is located in OpenRadar.

Open Radar receive packages of both protocols. In fact, OpenRadar can also send packages of both protocols at the same time to the MP server.
You can see this as pilot with the pilotlist open. In the line of the OpenRadar client the 'ver' (version) number jumps between 1 and 2 all the time.

How is ORCAM working? To minimize the traffic on the MP server, ORCAM starts FG and set the server-address (for MP) to 'localhost'.
OpenRadar forward received MP packages to localhost for ORCAM. So ORCAM (simply FG) connects to localhost and receive MP packages from OpenRadar.

Exactly there is the problem!
OpenRadar comunicate over protocol 1 and 2 with the MP server.
But local it forwards only protocol 1!
I dont understand Java, so it was not possible for me to find the bug (i have tried it moths ago).
But i found a workaround:
Instead of connecting ORCAM to localhost, connect it to the real MP server.
In this way, ORCAM receive all MP packages while OpenRadar control the view of ORCAM as before.

EDIT:
there is the discussion from the past --> https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=36120
I think the developer have too less time to fix it.
Is there a Java geek that can fix it?
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby jomo » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:32 am

WoodSTokk wrote in Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:18 pm:
J Maverick 16 wrote in Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:51 pm:But i found a workaround:
Instead of connecting ORCAM to local-host, connect it to the real MP server.
In this way, ORCAM receive all MP packages while OpenRadar control the view of ORCAM as before.

Thank you guys very much in trying to help.

I tried your proposal - but ran into problems!
I have two independent PCs here and used
PC1 for a A320 parked at EDDF.
PC2 for OpenRadar plus ORCAM

But could not get the complete services!
I still can operate the ORCAM from OR - but it only transfers the from-Viewing-Point in ORCOM - It does not find the target-Plane - neither as model-view nor the position! I also cannot manual zoom into it - seems ORCAM just does not know which plane I want to look at.

I will do some more trying during tonight's session
Any more ideas are very welcome
jomo

Postby jomo » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:13 am

No Sound no Fun
I am deeply sorry: We yesterday had a wonderful session with lots of targets that all were using mumble. It worked great - BUT: I wanted to check it this morning: Wonderful - but NO sound !!! I checked - and found: In the VOKOSCREEN settings the active-sign for sound was gone!
Did anybody notice before that there was no sound in the movies?
I would like to find out when that stupid operator (or the technique) mad that error!
jomo

Postby jomo » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:03 am

[Models seen in our films -- or NOT !!
We yesterday had a very nice session with a lot of traffic - 6 showed up at the same time! If you check the movie
http://www.emmerich-j.de/EDDF/Films/202 ... 805-95.mp4 starting at about film-minute 35 you might get a very good impression for using mumble!. If all that needed talking would have to be done in typing this handling would not have been possible. So pleas: All of you consider using mumble!! (see e.g. http://www.emmerich-j.de/mumble/mumble.html ).

The bigger problem was again visualizing the models! There is no problem seeing the models as targets on the radar-screen -- but showing the model body was only possible for 3 models! The problems are new models from different libraries --->>> because I can only show models that are inside my local library - and that never can be all the worldwide available models in all formal or privet libraries. Right now my local libraries contain 203 models in 12.5 GB disks-pace! I guess that cannot grow + grow + grow. So I will not add every plane that will show up at EDDF! But I will install those models that are
a) contained in the FlightGear library (then available in the next session)
b) or new models tested/suggested by the designers (but pls limit it)

So
1) If you do not want to be overlooked/forgotten during busy times ---> Use mumble! If it is busy I might not constatnt ly look at the written messages - the voice I always hear!
2) if you want to make sure your model is shown in the movies pls use one from inside the FGFS-library when you start your session with the "launcher.run --> Browse --> Aircraft".
jomo

Postby Johan G » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:34 pm

Slightly off topic about AI models

jomo wrote in Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:03 am:[...] I can only show models that are inside my local library - and that never can be all the worldwide available models in all formal or privet libraries. Right now my local libraries contain 203 models in 12.5 GB disks-pace! I guess that cannot grow + grow + grow. So I will not add every plane that will show up at EDDF! But I will install those models that are
a) contained in the FlightGear library (then available in the next session)
b) or new models tested/suggested by the designers (but pls limit it)

A long time ago some aircraft developers included an AI model with their aircraft. This, like most other AI models, would be very lightweight. The mechanism for these is still there even if it is not used as much, if at all. :(

In essence the model to be shown over Multiplayer is contained in the property "/sim/model/path" as a string with the path to the AC model or more commonly the the XML file with the animations, typically something like "Aircraft/<Aircraft>/Models/<Aircraft>.xml". This is sent over Multiplayer and the receiving FlightGear session first will look for the AI model "AI/Aircraft/<Aircraft>/Models/<Aircraft>.xml" or "...ac". If that fails it will look for the full model "Aircraft/<Aircraft>/Models/<Aircraft>.xml". If that too fails it will use the default AI model, which is the infamous yellow and blue glider.[1]

This is unfortunately not all that well known among the aircraft developers and was for a long time as far as I understand it barely or not documented.
____
[1] See also Howto:Animate models#File name of main model and animation XML file and Aircraft-set.xml#Not used for loading multiplayer aircraft on the FlightGear wiki.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

PreviousNext

Return to Multiplayer events