Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

FG Flying Club MAYDAY 1

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

FG Flying Club MAYDAY 1

Postby Trennor_ » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:20 am

Slated for Saturday 2 April 2011, 14:00 UTC, North America

Eastern Manitoba has experienced historic snow falls, coupled with heavy rains late in the fall of last year. The Red and Assiniboine Rivers are at historic highs. People are stranded. Food, water, clothing all need to be flown in, casualties flown out of stricken areas. This is a call for all STOL & Helicopter FlightGear pilots to come to their rescue.

Muster is 14:00 UTC, Saturday, April 02, 2011 (North America) at CYAV, Winnipeg/St.Andrews.

Rules of the game: may be found here along with the airport charts you will need to complete your assignments.

C'mon out . . . this promises to be our most exciting event yet! :o
trennor - Just Another Armchair Pilot

Thanks to all who have helped in the past. One day I'll return the favour.
Trennor_

Callsign: C-TREN, CHT0004
IRC name: trennor
Version: 2016.3.1

Re: FG Flying Club MAYDAY 1

Postby redneck » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:28 am

This looks like it will be a lot of fun. Actually better than the idea I PM'd you about. Unfortunately, I won't make it.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby F-VEBR » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:36 am

I might try to hang around :roll:

For the moment, (as i got what seems to be a great plane) and in order to celebrate the transition from Snowbirds to 431 Air Demonstration Squadron (March 31-April 1 1978) :D , i'll fly around Moose jaw - Winnipeg with the Fouga today and tomorrow around 10.15 Utc ...
A good pilot is an alive pilot. -> Building the On This Day in Aviation History <-
F-VEBR

Callsign: F-VEBR
Version: 2_8_0_5

Postby Groucho » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:08 am

Trennor_ wrote in Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:20 am:C'mon out . . . this promises to be our most exciting event yet! :o

This is exciting and I try my best to be there. I don´t care about winning points as long as it is pure fun.
Communication is via fgcom? Because in-flight with a helicopter there will not be any chance to type anything.

Spectators are welcome? Maybe with a press helicopter? 8)
Helis: EC130, Bo105, UH-1, R22
Twins/Jets: Aerostar, CRJ-200
Groucho

Callsign: D-HARP
Version: GIT

Postby Mcayon » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:32 am

This sounds very promising... If I understand correctly, does this mean I can use the Aerostar 700?
Mcayon

Callsign: SE-SJE

Postby Groucho » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:22 am

Mcayon wrote in Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:32 am:This sounds very promising... If I understand correctly, does this mean I can use the Aerostar 700?

Nope ;)
He said "STOL" capability meaning concrete runways will not be available in the target area. Helicopters and amphibious aircraft are required- eg. Otters make promising candidates as well as the V22 is propably also a very good option. For the sake of realism the plane should be capable of carrying goods and supplies so planes like attack helicopters (AH1, Tiger, et al), gyrocopters and gliders are blocking the area without contributing to the missions ;)
Groucho

Postby Trennor_ » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:22 pm

Groucho wrote in Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:22 am:
Mcayon wrote in Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:32 am:This sounds very promising... If I understand correctly, does this mean I can use the Aerostar 700?

Nope ;)
He said "STOL" capability meaning concrete runways will not be available in the target area. Helicopters and amphibious aircraft are required- eg. Otters make promising candidates as well as the V22 is propably also a very good option. For the sake of realism the plane should be capable of carrying goods and supplies so planes like attack helicopters (AH1, Tiger, et al), gyrocopters and gliders are blocking the area without contributing to the missions ;)

Groucho makes a good point. The only paved runways are at CYAV, the rest of the target mission areas are "unknown." Don't forget the Beaver too . . .
Remember too, landing on a flooded river might not be such a good idea, as there are often debris in those fast-flowing waters which can puncture a pontoon or float, and then where are you? And the current will likely be a little strong for your engine to pull all that weight through the water. I would suggest an Aero, which is, after all, an executive business aircraft, might not be a good choice for this exercise. However, I'm not going to dictate what people use; they are your points on the line. If your aircraft pick is appropriate, you'll get points. If it isn't . . . .

Trennor_

Postby Trennor_ » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:26 pm

Groucho wrote in Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:08 am:
Trennor_ wrote in Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:20 am:C'mon out . . . this promises to be our most exciting event yet! :o

This is exciting and I try my best to be there. I don´t care about winning points as long as it is pure fun.
Communication is via fgcom? Because in-flight with a helicopter there will not be any chance to type anything.

Spectators are welcome? Maybe with a press helicopter? 8)

Groucho, I would prefer that all aircraft be dedicated directly to the mission, as you stated it in a later post of yours. While an event like this IRL would likely involve press aircraft, you're going to be dealing with an inexperienced ATC (me) and I don't need any more distractions than necessary. Any press aircraft is going to get low priority for clearances --- you'll be at the end of the line as my priority will be to get rescue aircraft on their way first.

Trennor_

Postby Trennor_ » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:27 pm

F-VEBR wrote in Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:36 am:I might try to hang around :roll:

For the moment, (as i got what seems to be a great plane) and in order to celebrate the transition from Snowbirds to 431 Air Demonstration Squadron (March 31-April 1 1978) :D , i'll fly around Moose jaw - Winnipeg with the Fouga today and tomorrow around 10.15 Utc ...

Off topic post.

Trennor_

Postby Groucho » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Trennor_ wrote in Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:26 pm:Spectators are welcome? Maybe with a press helicopter? 8)

Groucho, I would prefer that all aircraft be dedicated directly to the mission, as you stated it in a later post of yours. While an event like this IRL would likely involve press aircraft, you're going to be dealing with an inexperienced ATC (me) and I don't need any more distractions than necessary. Any press aircraft is going to get low priority for clearances --- you'll be at the end of the line as my priority will be to get rescue aircraft on their way first.[/quote]

I respect that point that distraction might occur, however you will not be able to prevent that people might fly in that area which are not part of missions but would like to watch the show in their favorite aircraft (from a non-intrusive and safe distance, hopefully). So be prepared for spectators.
The reason why I was asking: Depending on what is going on at home I might not be able to take a mission due to real life distraction but would like to benefit at least visually from the event which looks pretty promising.
Anyway, let´s hope the best.

Regarding aircrafts, are aircrafts available in GIT only allowed or will we be restricted to what is available in 2.0 ? The EC130 is the perfect tool for the job and I´d love to bring it with me.
How about the fgcom question?
And btw, can you please specify which scenery tiles people will have to install beforehand?
Groucho

Postby Mcayon » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:05 pm

Groucho wrote in Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:22 am:

Nope ;)

Ok... BTW, do the airport have any buildings and stuff in FG? It was only the runways there when I looked around earlier....
Mcayon

Callsign: SE-SJE

Postby Trennor_ » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:29 pm

Groucho wrote: Regarding aircrafts, are aircrafts available in GIT only allowed or will we be restricted to what is available in 2.0 ? The EC130 is the perfect tool for the job and I´d love to bring it with me.
How about the fgcom question?
And btw, can you please specify which scenery tiles people will have to install beforehand?

You can bring whatever aircraft you want which is suitable to the mission and is not going create problems for others.

FGCOM? No. FGFC is not an FGCOM entity, because most FGFC members and guests are not FGCOM-compliant. We will not be using FGCOM on this one either.

I think this might be the correct tile to download but I'm not 100% sure; I've never really figured out that download site.

Macayon wrote: . . . do the airport(s) have any buildings and stuff in FG? It was only the runways there when I looked around earlier....

No, neither CYAV nor Selkirk are modeled with buildings in FG. We have the runways and basic infrastructure, that's all. This is a very basic scenario; it is about flying.

Trennor_

Postby Johan G » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:49 pm

Groucho wrote in Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:08 am:Spectators are welcome? Maybe with a press helicopter? 8)

Groucho wrote in Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:39 pm:The reason why I was asking: Depending on what is going on at home I might not be able to take a mission due to real life distraction but would like to benefit at least visually from the event which looks pretty promising.

I would also very much like to see some screen shots and hopefully even some YouTube videos, as I probably can not attend at all, which is too bad as this looks like very much fun. :(

That said, I do have full understanding for the following: :wink:
Trennor_ wrote in Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:26 pm:While an event like this IRL would likely involve press aircraft, you're going to be dealing with an inexperienced ATC (me) and I don't need any more distractions than necessary. Any press aircraft is going to get low priority for clearances...

Most important though: Have a lot of fun guys! :D
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Pat70 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:24 am

Hi guys,

NIce idea, not sure to be there in time ....so busy recently and i have to reparir my joystick..
but if i can i will be there flying an heli (if i still remember how it flys :mrgreen: ), and my choice will go to EC135 or EC130
Cheers
Pat
Pat (Pat 70 on the forum...) sometimes as Pat2 on the Laptop
Member of the FG Rotor Flying Club http://fgrc.tk/
Pat70

Callsign: Pat
Version: 2

Postby harrison » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Hello all

Would someone recommend an airplane to me please. I was thinking a C172p or a 182 but someone else said something about a twin otter or something like that.

Thanks

Harrison
harrison

Callsign: harr
IRC name: harrison
Version: Next

Next

Return to Multiplayer events