Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

WW2 warbird meeting

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

WW2 warbird meeting

Postby Sweetgrapes » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:29 pm

In a couple of weeks, the Supermarine Spitfire will have it`s 75th aniversary of it`s first flight. The exact date is 5th of March.
So I thought that we should celebrate this by making a WW2 warbird meeting. The planes should be WW2 fighters like the Spitfire, Hurricane, P51 Mustang, BF 109, FW 190, the Zero and the list goes on. I haven`t thought the location of it, but it should be a special place for instance an ex RAF base. I haven´t thought the date also yet, because if anyone is interested in it, then the date and the time should be set so that everyone is happy with it. What do you think of the idea?
Last edited by Sweetgrapes on Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"A bird can`t damage an engine, but an engine can damage a bird."
Sweetgrapes

Callsign: Wingtip or MIA0049

Re: WW2 warbird meeting

Postby Johan G » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:39 am

A very good reason to try out some tail-draggers :wink: .
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby hvengel » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:02 pm

I think there is interest but people do need some lead time to plan their schedules. So please nail down a place and time soon. Also pick a time that allows for people from around the world to participate. If it is at a good time for me I will be there in my P51D. By the way I am UTC - 8. Also please post your schedule in UTC so that there are no mix ups about the time.
hvengel
Retired

Postby redneck » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:31 pm

You got my interest. I'll show up in the F4U if I can make it.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby F-VEBR » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:40 pm

If i can... obviously it will be with THE SPIT !
A good pilot is an alive pilot. -> Building the On This Day in Aviation History <-
F-VEBR

Callsign: F-VEBR
Version: 2_8_0_5

Postby hardy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:57 pm

you have my interrest I just need a place and time and if I can make it I'l be in a zero.

cheers :)
taking over the Salt Lake City Fly in for now
hardy

Postby Sweetgrapes » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:58 pm

I will do a little research and tell the location tomorrow. As for the aircraft, I will test some and say my word.
Sweetgrapes

Postby F-VEBR » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:12 pm

Location ? ... Biggin hill.... Cambridge... ....... ..... Duxford with the OFMC which could also be a tribute to Ray and Mark Hanna
A good pilot is an alive pilot. -> Building the On This Day in Aviation History <-
F-VEBR

Postby Sweetgrapes » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:25 pm

The location is Southampton aka EGHI, because that`s where the Spitfire did it`s first flight. The date is still 5th of March.
The time is 15:00 UTC. NOTE: the date might change. As for the event, I thought that we should do a formation flight over the channel to Lille or further.
The planes that departure earlier will either circle aroud the airport or will fly slower so that the others could catch up. And to make it a bit more interesting, we should keep very close, up to about 100 ft from each other.
Sweetgrapes

Postby redneck » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:28 pm

I hope you realize how hard it is to actually do this, with it being kinda complicated to simply turn your head, and even communicate! We need FGCom to pull this off, and some real good pilots. Chasing is easy, formations aren't the same as chasing. They're much harder.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Re: WW2 warbird meeting in Southampton 5th of March 15:00 UT

Postby ZekeAce » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:20 pm

I like that Idea. If anybody has Bombable V3, then we could do some WWII Era dogfighting...

This just hit me: We are all talking about single engine Warbirds, but what if we had somebody fly a Lancaster or a B-17F? That would be an entertaining formation!

If I can make it, I will take my Ki-84. (I still need to get my Zeke's damage fixed)
ZekeAce

Callsign: ZekeAce, Nimitz7
Version: 2.6

Postby redneck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:41 am

I may or may not have bombable by then. Last time I tried it, it gave me problems. Now that I have a new computer, and a new version of FG, I can't use any of Dave Culp's planes. They just don't install or crash the sim. So, I'll have to try out a newer git snapshot, and risk overwriting my entire FG installation.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby Pat70 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:59 am

Hi,

AS far as i could find time, i will enjoy to be in....in a Spit, a zero or a F4U corsair ? dunno yet
but anyway..thats a great idea.
And about crossing the chanel, from southsampton it seems more funny and easy to go to Normandy (sounds better to me, and not only coz i am living there :mrgreen: )
Cheers
Pat (Pat 70 on the forum...) sometimes as Pat2 on the Laptop
Member of the FG Rotor Flying Club http://fgrc.tk/
Pat70

Callsign: Pat
Version: 2

Postby F-VEBR » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:07 pm

Hey pat ... instead of Hopping ... why won't we train a bit for formation ???
F-VEBR

Postby Pat70 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:32 pm

Hi F-VEBR

Yeah, you re right, always better acting than hoping....but right now as you might have noticed i am a bit too busy by work and travel (3-4 hours a day for the job !) and i dunno if i will have opportunity to catch you for some good formation flight before 25 of february.
Anyway if i can i will try to log in each time it will be possible. I am OK for the SPIT and the F4U or the ZERO (P51 is a bit hard for me...i kill the motor each time :) )
and we already did a bit of formation flight together isnt it ? eventually after 25 /02 i could put a zero on the lap top with AP (Heading, Alt, and speed) so that we come on each side of it . That could be a good training.
Anyway, i will do my best to show up during the week , mostly in afternoon, around 16 or 17:00 UTC (15-16H00 French time :mrgreen: ).
i will try to catch you.
Cheers
Cya
Pat
Pat (Pat 70 on the forum...) sometimes as Pat2 on the Laptop
Member of the FG Rotor Flying Club http://fgrc.tk/
Pat70

Callsign: Pat
Version: 2

Next

Return to Multiplayer events