Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

Wednesday evening session discussion thread.

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Re: Wednesday evening session discussion thread.

Postby Woosh » Thu May 25, 2023 7:55 pm

As I can see, things to happen mostly depend up on planning.

"one person to volunteer to keep it updated - nobody has regular time to commit to that"

I have possibility to do it and I am ready for.

W
Woosh

Postby Woosh » Thu May 25, 2023 7:58 pm

Gijs wrote in Thu May 25, 2023 6:54 pm:Would it help to create a separate subforum, where you all can create a topic per event?

I do not know, I struggle a bit to visualise it with sufficient clarity.

But it is probably worth a try

Anyone, second thoughts?

Woosh
Woosh

Postby Woosh » Thu May 25, 2023 8:05 pm

MariuszXC wrote in Thu May 25, 2023 6:41 pm: ... to be honest, there isn't that much happening in the Multiplayer section besides our Wednesday event ...

You surely would benefit having as information that every and each Sunday evening we have in the triangle LFKB LIMJ LIMM and now LIBP, ATC evening session, attending a few good pilots,
We currently are on the bottom of the cycle but attendance oscillate in between a pair of pilots to sometime more than a dozen of flights with flight plans, which definitely is more than "not that much".

Please, Mariusx my words are not meant to make you feel bad but only to amend the information in your possession and available to build your saying.

:-)

Woosh
Woosh

Postby MariuszXC » Thu May 25, 2023 8:28 pm

Woosh, I think we have a little misunderstanding here.
I did *not* write, that there is not much else happening in FG multiplayer space. That would be very untrue, as can be seen everyday on MPmap server :-)
I wrote specifically about Multiplayer section of the Forum, where we don't get many postings outside of Wednesday GA events.

Cheers, Mariusz
INOP
MariuszXC

Callsign: SP-MRM
Version: 2020.4

Postby Woosh » Fri May 26, 2023 1:40 am

@Mariusz

my bad
thank you to come back to rescue me

true, totally true.

I am preparing something from now ...months in the goal to try to change this a bit.
I have good expectations.

We will see
Happy us, we have the WE GA in the meanwhile...

W.
Woosh

Postby Woosh » Fri May 26, 2023 10:13 am

I can think about another reason why a separated calender/schedule tread might be important.

We have at this moment only 2 events in the "bag of future events".
When per chance we will have more and we are going to have concurrent talks about these, confusion sound hard to avoid.

Woosh
Woosh

Postby benih » Fri May 26, 2023 10:46 am

Hi, just out of curiosity: what exact problem are we wanting to solve here?
The two-threads-stuff worked good enough so far?
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX
Version: next

Postby Volador » Fri May 26, 2023 7:28 pm

Niels started an 'upcoming events' post, it's a great idea in theory but as he's got less time with his quest to win all the sailing trophies on offer until the end of summer, we can't update the post... it kinda shows the limitations of the forum , an integrated calendar of events with permissions to post would be great....
Last edited by Volador on Sat May 27, 2023 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Volador

Callsign: Volador, G-VLDR

Postby Ysop » Fri May 26, 2023 8:52 pm

Sorry to let you folks down a bit, but initial assessment of the other project needing an all-hands approach was right.
Quite on track, but it is work work work.

Of course I am reading here (just because it is FGFS! and my favorite Wednesday group), but it is difficult to keep track of the next events.
It is possible to add a posting to the "upcoming events" thread as an idea for an easy solution. Of course there are more sophisticated calenders.
Ysop

Version: 2020.3.18

Postby Woosh » Fri May 26, 2023 9:17 pm

Hi

Beni, it helps to slip for 1 mile the shoes of a newcomer to better understand the limit.

We already debate < 1 event at the same time.

Some people I have brought to the GA Wednesday events have queried:
- "so, at the end, which is the event coming up in 2 days?"

The the question have been somewhat recurrent.

OTOH The Operative Thread is also not fail safe.
We already one or two postponed and swapped events,
and we also had some confusion with the sequence letters... :)

So, I do not recollection who come with the idea of the calender, but it gas sound a good solution.
However it is not part of the phpBB features.

https://www.phpbb.com/about/features/

Coding a php calender plug-in might sound easy, if we overlook safety testing ... (what would make me feel quite uncomfortable to say the less).

Do you per chance see another one solution idea?

Woosh
Woosh

Postby Volador » Sat May 27, 2023 8:08 am

It was me who thought of the calendar but at its simplest its just a list, hmm, it could get quite long over time so maybe a calendar is the a solution. So far we have got into a pattern of discussion and seperate event thread and it has worked given the limitations of the forum but the system is only as good as its contributors.

For a newbie, reading the event thread should be enough. We encourage use of a 'template' which includes all the info, date, Information letter in the subject, invite to new participants, departure airport, meeting time, but importantly link back to the discussion thread etc to try keep the event thread clean and a request not to post questions on the event thread. Yes, we sould be more consistent but we don't always use the 'template' format because we have become familiar with the process or we're pushed for time etc.

On the up side, we do meet at a regular day and time for our mid-week GA session, folks only need to attend a couple of events to become familiar with the pattern. There is an unwritten expectation that after a few sessions participants make a contribution and it's ok if that takes a few weeks to make some connections with the group and gain some confidence, I can safely say we're all about welcoming and encouraging anyone who comes along and teaching or learning or just spending some fun time with them for the benefit (and fun!) for the whole group :)
Chris
Volador

Postby MariuszXC » Sun May 28, 2023 8:58 pm

Volador wrote in Sat May 27, 2023 8:08 am:[...] but the system is only as good as its contributors.[...]

This will be true regardless of the system we use now or might use in the future.

On the up side, we do meet at a regular day and time for our mid-week GA session,[...] we're all about welcoming and encouraging anyone who comes along and teaching or learning or just spending some fun time with them for the benefit (and fun!) for the whole group :)

Indeed, this social part and welcoming attitude is the most important benefit we have, just by participating.
The second is knowledge dissemination and learning from others.

So, what do we do this Wednesday?
INOP
MariuszXC

Postby Volador » Tue May 30, 2023 8:44 am

Carribean islands tour again? Get the summer spirit going?
Volador

Postby MariuszXC » Tue May 30, 2023 10:21 am

With music again? :)
I take it we try the GC tour at some later time?
INOP
MariuszXC

Postby Volador » Tue May 30, 2023 6:45 pm

GC? Gran Canaria? There's nothing stopping us touring some more in that part of the world
Volador

PreviousNext

Return to Multiplayer events