Board index FlightGear Support Installation Mac

FlightGear 2.0.0 for Mac not starting

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Mac.

FlightGear 2.0.0 for Mac not starting

Postby MateoDelvado » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:15 pm

Hi all,

I try to get flightgear 2.0.0 running on my iMac. I get the starting screen where i can choose a plane type and an airport, and I can click 'start flight'. Then it appears to be starting, the big black screen with an image in the middle appears, at the bottom it gives some messages about what it's doing, a map appears at the left, but after it says below 'initializing subsystems', it just goes back to the small starting screen - and nothing happens after that. Unless the plane was so fast it flew out of the stratosphere without me noticing, I suppose this is not as it should be. What to do?

I'm on an Imac i5, 2.88, quadcore, running OS x 10.6.4, with a Radeon HD 5750.

Any help appreciated a lot!

Thanks,

Mateo
MateoDelvado

Re: FlightGear 2.0.0 for Mac not starting

Postby simbabeat » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:31 pm

Well, I'm going to be really blunt about it. It's not going to work. I tried many times and I filed bug reports and started forum topics and no one seemed to care or know what to do. I sent emails to Tat, the maintainer of the mac binaries, and I did not receive responses. I looked into it myself, and there were no error messages anywhere, including from mac osx's output, so I could not determine the problem. 1.9.1 worked on the same computer perfectly. So what I eventually did, but not because 2.0 wouldn't work, was completely delete Mac OS X off my iMac and have an Ubuntu-only computer. I know this doesn't help you at all... Sorry.

Cheers
simbabeat

Postby someguy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:50 am

I can't tell you why you're having this problem, Mateo, but 2.0 works on my new i3 iMac, and it worked on my old white Intel iMac (though not very well due to the wimpy video).

Does it happen with any aircraft, or just certain ones? Have you tried unchecking Atlas, fgcom, and multiplayer, and starting into the default San Francisco International in the Cessna 172P?
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby simbabeat » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:10 am

I might add though, the recent GIT binary did seem to work in my similar situation. You might try that :)

Cheers
simbabeat

Postby someguy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:00 am

FWIW, the git build crashes on me, quite a lot. It even caused the only kernel panic I've ever had. The new shaders sure are purty though.
someguy

Postby tat » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:44 am

I made a quick fix on "unknown exception" error.
Please read this thread and give it a try.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9000#p93940

Hope this helps you,

Tat
Tat Nishioka
FlightGear Mac OS X Project
http://macflightgear.sourceforge.net
tat

Callsign: tat

Postby Typist » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:01 am

Hi,

I have the same problem. Upon launching FlightGear, after "initializing subsystems" I get "The application fgfs quit unexpectedly" Have tried this many times, always same error.

I tried reinstalling fgfs as suggested at the following link, and this fails too, with error "invalid file or unknown destination".

Please read this thread and give it a try.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9000#p93940

I'm on a PPC G5 iMac, OSX 10.4.11, and am trying to install Flightgear 2.0.0 (276)

Thanks for any assistance.
Typist

Postby someguy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:32 am

With hardware that old, you might be happier with version 1.9.1. I had a white Intel iMac, and its X1600 video wasn't up to running 2.0 at enjoyable frame rates. But 1.9.1 was fine.
someguy

Postby simbabeat » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:02 am

someguy wrote:With hardware that old, you might be happier with version 1.9.1. I had a white Intel iMac, and its X1600 video wasn't up to running 2.0 at enjoyable frame rates. But 1.9.1 was fine.

Yup Yup. And if you absolutely needto run 2.0 on it, use the fix above and if you are really serious 2.0, use linux on the same comp. You will get better fps in linux.

Cheers
simbabeat

Suddenly FlightGear does not work any more

Postby Leif Ohlsson » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:36 pm

I've been having a lot of pleasure with the OSX build of Flight Gear on my MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, system 10.4.11. Many thanks for that, Tat!

However, after fiddling with the keyboard.xml file a while it no longer worked. I discovered the faults in the lines I had added, and it worked fine again.

Then it did not work at all, did not launch. The console now says:

2010-09-30 14:15:38.138 FlightGear[281] Could not find image named 'NSActionTemplate'.
Starting fgfs.sh with --airport=LPFL --browser-app=open --aircraft=dhc6 --visibility=5000 --disable-hud --enable-real-weather-fetch --disable-clock-freeze --disable-ai-models --disable-ai-modelsv --geometry=1440x900 --enable-fullscreen --timeofday=afternoon --units-meters
shell: current dir: /Applications/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources
/Applications/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/FlightGearController.rb:47:in `initialize': Ruby threads cannot be used in RubyCocoa without patches to the Ruby interpreter
Exiting fgfs.sh

This is on a fresh copy of Flight Gear, reinstalled & unaltered. Have I destroyed my computer completely? Please note that the fault appears on a freshly installed, unaltered FGFS. And I have also tried your quick fix, a new "fgfs", no luck.

The problem is here, isn't it:
/Applications/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/FlightGearController.rb:47:in `initialize': Ruby threads cannot be used in RubyCocoa without patches to the Ruby interpreter

I should say I know that Ruby is a programming language, but not more than that, so I'm really stumbling in the dark here.

Leif
Leif Ohlsson

Callsign: SE-LOH
Version: 2

Problem solved

Postby Leif Ohlsson » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:46 pm

I am very happy to say the problem is solved. How - I don't know. Just that I managed to clean out enough of the old installation that whatever was causing the problem also went away. And it was not the files I had changed - they work just fine now.

I should say that the final clean-up that seemed to do the trick was finding the folder "fgfs" which I didn't know existed. I just sort of desperately tried the advice in the Read me file which tells you how to find a log of what's happened with Flight Gear. And I quote:

Q: Where can I find a log file?
A: You can find it at $HOME/.fgfs/log.txt. Select "Go" >> "Go to folder" from Finder's menu and type "~/.fgfs".
Then you can find log.txt there. You can also open the log file by pressing "view log" button on the GUI launcher.

Didn't know I could do that in Finder! When the folder appeared, I just trashed it as the last thing of the old installation I could find, and installed a fresh copy. There must still have been something left, since Flight Gear tried to open at my last location. But never mind, it worked.

Now I have restored everything, including my modified jostick.xml file and keyboard.xml file, plus my updated Twin Otter (extra fuel capacity to be able to cross the Atlantic by way of Greenland in the north, and the Azores in the south). I will try to tell you what I've learned about the flying bit in another section of the forum. Now I'll just check more thoroughly that the new version works as it should.
Leif Ohlsson

Callsign: SE-LOH
Version: 2

Postby AJC » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:06 am

Yes i remember having a similar problem and had to delete everything and download a new copy. However, I recently restarted my computer and now the screen will stick on 'Initializing Subsystems' for around two minutes before loading. Hmm....
AJC

Callsign: TSA004

Return to Mac