Board index Other Hangar talk

Fly! Legacy, the free and opensource flight simulator is out

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Fly! Legacy, the free and opensource flight simulator is out

Postby Stéphane » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:42 pm

On behalf of the Fly.Simvol team, I have the huge pleasure to announce that after several years of development and hard work, the 1st public version of Fly! Legacy (0.3.3 alpha), the free and opensource flight simulator, is now available for download on Fly.Simvol (http://fly.simvol.org/indexus.php).
If you are interested, you can also download the source code of the software on this address:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/flylegacy/

This software has been mainly developed by Chris Wallace, Jean Sabatier, Laurent Claudet, Luc Lion, Didier Rigault, Frank Dhont (other people also took part in this project) and it is currently in development stage (alpha version).
The work was huge because the first step of the development consisted in reproducing a software which has the same behavior than the original simulator, and which used its databases.
After that, came the second step which was to make the new simulator compatible with all the third party add-on developed throughout the years by the passionnate users. This makes it possible to use sceneries, aircraft and plugins available on the different websites.

Thus, the core software is centered on the Cessna 172 (from TRI) which was set to work as well as possible. Other aircraft can be easily adapted and we hope that a strong cooperation from the community to help us in this task.
Today, the software is operational, but the intial project evolved: the idea is now to make the software independant from Fly! II, in order to allow a majority of users to take part in this project. For this purpose, the migration to SQL databases was made possible.

It is therefore important to keep in mind that bugs may remain and that some features have not yet been developed. This is why we need a maximum of volunteers to help us complete this task.
Currently, some essential data (7-8 files) from Fly! II are still required, but we are working to remove those last dependencies.

Those tempted by the project can help us using various skills: C++ development, 3D objects designing, user interface, and so on... If you are interested, then you can contact us or post a message on our forum (http://forum.simvol.org).

Note that Fly.Simvol is now present on:
- Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/FlySimvol/143471495687327)
- Twitter (http://twitter.com/FlySimvol)
- Ustream (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/fly-simvol)
- YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/FlySimvol)
We invite you to show your support to the project by following us on these different websites.

In any case, we strongly encourage you to post your comments, critics and bug reports on the Fly.Simvol forum (http://forum.simvol.org).
Let the adventure begin and have a good flight !
Stéphane

Re: Fly! Legacy, the free and opensource flight simulator is out

Postby Ozgur » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:28 pm

Umm...Excuse me if i am little stupid to understand the idea...You say it is free and opensource... But then at the download page i faced the following message;

CAUTION: to be able to install Fly! Legacy, you must have an original copy of Fly! II.

So, as far as my small brain can handle, Fly! Legacy has dependent paid libraries. Am i wrong? But it looks promising...Why not employ with FlightGear libraries to remove the dependencies as you've mentioned...
N499H
Ozgur

Callsign: N499H, TR-49

Postby mike4lin » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:27 pm

As mentioned those dependencies will be removed soon. The goal is to be able to use all Fly!2 addons someday.

Now I've installed and all is fine but I cannot move camera, change plane etc. There's no menu in this alpha?

Thanks for the work. Another great alternative to FG, hopefully someday also on Linux etc.

Here you still can get some cheap Fly!2:

priceminister.com/offer/buy/927851/Fly-2-Jeu-Pc.html

www.2xmoinscher.com/jeux/Fly!-2-d4521.html
mike4lin

Postby Stéphane » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:30 pm

Ozgur wrote:So, as far as my small brain can handle, Fly! Legacy has dependent paid libraries. Am i wrong? But it looks promising...Why not employ with FlightGear libraries to remove the dependencies as you've mentioned...

Indeed, currently the main default of Fly! Legacy is that an original copy of Fly! II is still needed. Nevertheless, the team is working hard to remove the last dependencies.
On the other hand, we are opened for proposals of the Flight Gear community to see if we can integrate some Flight Gear libraries into Fly! Legacy in order to make this last one 100% independant from Fly! II.

But for those who would like to take part in this projet, an original copy of Fly! II will be provided.
Currently, we need C++ developers as well as 3D designers and people to review the UI.
If you are interested or if you want to discuss with the developers of the project to see how some Flight Gear libraries could be integrated into Fly! Legacy, the simplest thing is to contact the main developers:
Jean Sabatier (jean.sabatier@pixup.com) and Laurent Claudet (laurent.claudet@agriculture.gouv.fr)

Of course, in a future final version 1.0, the software will be available for Windows, Linux and MAC, and will be 100% independant.

For Mike4Lin:
_ to display the menu: Space key
_ to change the cameras: C
_ to move the cameras (around the plane for example): Ctrl + "arrows" (Up, Down, Left or Right)
Stéphane

Postby Gijs » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:34 pm

I am sure some of our developers would be interested in helping you out, but we do require something in return I suppose. Why would we work on other sims when we can improve our own in the same time, after all?

Fly!'s graphics look pretty slick, but watching the videos I wonder what kind of FDM and pilots you use...
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Hooray » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:19 pm

I used to own a copy of Fly!, and I think I might still be able to find the CD, but I agree it would be better to be able to run this without requiring the CD ...
I do remember Fly! really was a great simulator, and I have always been fascinated by the idea to recreate it as an open source project to ensure that Fly! lives on.
It is great to see that this project has finally progressed this far.

Personally, I am more interested in cross platform software these days (I usually run windows software in a VM), i.e. I am more likely to contribute to multi platform software, myself.
But to be honest, I think a collaboration between FlightGear and the Fly! legacy project could be a good thing for both projects.
I am more familiar with FlightGear obviously, but FlightGear really has a lot to offer to other simulator projects, especially flight simulators.
There is so much data and code that could be useful to other projects...

I think this is important to keep in mind, particularly because FlightGear has now also serious "competition" on the Linux platform, too - XPlane.

I am convinced that open source projects that are in any way related should cooperate to the highest possible degree to make best use of all resources, without duplicating work and efforts.

For a FlightGear <-> Fly!Legacy collaboration that could probably mean to share/exchange data for scenery, airports, navigation data, textures or to turn certain code into standalone modules/programs that can be used by both projects. This does already work fairly well, just consider Robin Peel's DB.

However, it is clear that this will require some groundwork first, such as finding suitable licensing schemes, data/file formats, protocols or components that can be refactored.

It would really be a great project to identify the various strengths and weaknesses of both, FlightGear and Fly!Legacy.
Hopefully, to come up with a plan for a joint effort to allow both projects to collaborate.

Absent that, I really don't see how existing FlightGear developers or contributors might start to engage in contributing to Fly!, be it in addition to or instead of FlightGear.

But if there should be a -legal and technical- basis for reusing certain components of FlightGear and Fly, for the sake of both projects, I don't see any problems - and even think that this could be a good thing for both projects.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Re: Fly! Legacy, the free and opensource flight simulator is

Postby Stéphane » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:04 pm

Since my last message, the situation changes a lot. Indeed, we have published a new version 0.6.5.1 which brings important new features, as the Cessna 172 HD, the virtual pilot, a more realistic flight model but also, Fly! Legacy is now totally independent, it is not necessary anymore to have Fly! II.
http://fly.simvol.org/indexus.php
Stéphane

Postby El Flauta » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:38 am

The screenshots shows a very nice C172 cockpit & panel, congratulations.
I see very realistic textures for the terrain, too. What is its source? are they GPL too?
Vive FlightGear! Have you a Ñ on your keyboard? Spain-LatinAmerica FlightGear community!
--
PZL M18B Dromader
CASA C-101 Aviojet
Cessna 337G Skymaster
El Flauta

Callsign: CC-FLT
Version: 3

Postby Stéphane » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:20 pm

El Flauta wrote in Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:38 am:The screenshots shows a very nice C172 cockpit & panel, congratulations.
I see very realistic textures for the terrain, too. What is its source? are they GPL too?

For info, the 2 sceneries (of the French Alps) included in Fly! Legacy are actually two Fly! II sceneries released in 2005-2006. They were created from public black and white satellite pictures and then colorized. I don't know if they were under GPL license.
We planned to upgrade these sceneries with more detailled pictures but it's not in our priorities list yet.
Stéphane

Postby Gijs » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:26 pm

Well, I guess you do know what license they're under?
Anyway, like I said before, it looks very very nice. Mix it with FlightGear and we could almost stop dreaming :)
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby mike4lin » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:23 am

A masterpiece when it can run Fly!2 stuff. Now it crashed after copying the Fly!2 PC12, maybe because I'm exploring it with WINE on Linux? Also it would be handy
to get all fgfs keys into without hassling nor changes. Coming along nicely, thanks.
mike4lin

Postby VicMar » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:29 am

Will there be a Mac version any time soon?
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Stéphane » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:40 pm

mike4lin wrote in Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:23 am:A masterpiece when it can run Fly!2 stuff. Now it crashed after copying the Fly!2 PC12, maybe because I'm exploring it with WINE on Linux? Also it would be handy
to get all fgfs keys into without hassling nor changes. Coming along nicely, thanks.

The crash is normal, the Fly! II aircraft are not compatible with Fly! Legacy. In Fly! Legacy, only the 2D sceneries are compatible and the airports (but it seems to have a bug in the public version).
For the keys and buttons, we could propose the same as FlightGear, I'll discuss about it with the developers.

VicMar wrote in Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:29 am:Will there be a Mac version any time soon?

Not anytime soon but it is planned on the long term. Actually, we lack developers and it's not sure that the current devepers will have the time and the skills to do it.
Stéphane

Postby VicMar » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:05 pm

Stéphane said,
Not anytime soon but it is planned on the long term.
At the back of the queue again. :cry:

Cheers,
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Sweetgrapes » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:32 am

Just had a look at the screenshots and my impressions are:

The aircraft and the landscape are very good, probably better than in FlighGear.
Also the weather looks good. But the scenery objects and the airports look a lot like they are v 0.1 or something. They scenery objects(for the example I´ll use the Golden Gate Bridge, there was a screenshot of it) are quite square and the textures are not very good too. And the runway textures are poorish too. But overall from the screenshots at least it looks quite promising. Might as well give it a try.
"A bird can`t damage an engine, but an engine can damage a bird."
Sweetgrapes

Callsign: Wingtip or MIA0049

Next

Return to Hangar talk