Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

ATI Radeon HD 4200

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

ATI Radeon HD 4200

Postby DistantRain » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:09 am

This is a built in Graphics card for many cpu's auto built nowadays it seems on the motherboard. But my question is, would this card - by itself - work well for Flightgear? My OS would probably become Ubuntu 10.04. I'll probably use the proprietory driver, as I have been with my Nvidia card on this dying cpu. Another question is, how much fps could you squeeze out from this card, say by activating some 3d clouds? Other functions aren't exactly something I'd care for though but it'll be nice if it works. :)
I am a proud head CEO of Distantrain. Founder, and Co-producer of Distantrain.
Senior Commander in Chief
Please PM him with any questions regarding Distantrain.
DistantRain

Callsign: Distantrain
Version: GIT

Re: ATI Radeon HD 4200

Postby Jester » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:06 pm

3D clouds kill it pretty much :) Otherwise, I get comfortable 25+ fps at 1024x768 and shaders enabled, but with massive stuttering.
Word of warning: ati binary driver fglrx is broken since a couple of versions, last known good is 10.4.
Jester

Callsign: BA996,Rescue1
IRC name: Jester01

Postby DistantRain » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:24 pm

That's a pretty good news. 25+ fps at 1024x768. What happens if you increase the screen resolution to say 1280x1024? Would you get fps of like 5<? It sounds nice though that it's still playable, even with 3d clouds. I saw in your screenshots (from Transgear events I dug up) and you were getting 15-25 fps. :) That's not bad. I was anticipating like 5-10 fps at most or even slightly bad for Radeon compared to Nvidia, according to some people? But anyways, I might go buy this PC today so thanks for letting me know. :D
DistantRain

Postby Jester » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:28 pm

I said "massive stuttering" did you miss that? Or that 3d clouds totally kill it? I still have the fps at 1280x1024 but right now I wouldn't call it playable.

Note, in TGA I fly with a different machine, with an nVidia 8600M-GT at 1800x1120. Yeah, my laptop beats the desktop :mrgreen:
Jester

Callsign: BA996,Rescue1
IRC name: Jester01

Postby DistantRain » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:37 am

No, I read you Jester. But even from your writing, it could appear to have written that it is still somewhat playable from the decent fps you get from 1024x768, thus I came to conclude 3d clouds wouldn't be too bad, even if it "kills it." If you have played Flightgear in Transgear event with the same on board chip, which I had assumed you did, then it would only further my point. However, you never mentioned any of that and wrote those comments. Either way, thank you for your comments. :D
DistantRain

Return to Hardware