Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Wiki account...

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Wiki account...

Postby mattt » Sat May 22, 2010 1:52 pm

Soooo... I see that someone is *still* using my name for wiki edits, specifically the newsletter stuff.

It'd be nice to be able to have my *own* voice on there, let alone not have someone speaking utter crap on my behalf.

It's been a couple of months now since I was told this was being looked into. Any chance of a resolution?

Or should I just pick an arbitrary username with which to create an account and use that? Note: It *will* be the name of an existing forum user ;-)

I look forward to some resolution in regard to this matter.

Cheers,
Mattt.
FG CVS on: E7400 @ ~3.2ghz, Asus P5e, 4gb RAM, 512mb 8400GS, MS FF Pro, Logitech Illum KB, 2 x 19" LCDs
Favourite aircraft: 737-900ER, 777-200ER, 787, A380, F-14b, F-18, C172p
FGCom usually at 122.75mhz
FGVAS: http://fgvas.mattts.net
mattt

Callsign: Mattt

Re: Wiki account...

Postby Gijs » Sat May 22, 2010 2:02 pm

Is there a reason to post this in public? I'll send you a PM to update you on the matt(t)er.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby ChocBoy » Sun May 23, 2010 1:56 pm

Gijs wrote:Is there a reason to post this in public? I'll send you a PM to update you on the matt(t)er.

I think it's fine. He's entitled to be upset over this; I would, too, if someone was continually tarnishing MY username (although by the looks of it, I've already done it myself).

But I thought any activity on this account ceased with that one newsletter...was it March? Anyway, I'm afraid, Matt, that you can't evict someone of a username just because it's yours on another site. What if this guy is named Matt? He might want it. But you can't say, "give up yer wiki account, its' mine now, arrrrrr!" (sorry, I couldn't resist the pirate joke).
Account locked by self soon. Taking a break from FG. If you want to contact me, email me. Please don't hesitate. Anything, email.
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Callsign: ChocBoy

Postby mattt » Sun May 23, 2010 2:15 pm

ChocBoy wrote:I'm afraid, Matt, that you can't evict someone of a username just because it's yours on another site. What if this guy is named Matt? He might want it. But you can't say, "give up yer wiki account, its' mine now, arrrrrr!" (sorry, I couldn't resist the pirate joke).

Ordinarily, I would be in total agreement.

Thing is, though, that in this particular instance the subject matter I'm apparently submitting is largely to do with the... errr... friction and such that's been transpiring in the forum. As such, that makes it a very fair call to connect that Mattt to this one (me).

Ironically, I'm rather of the opinion that those matters should not even be mentioned in a publication that exists partly to further the good image of this project.

Aside from that, the individual responsible exhibits terrible spelling and grammar skills which I'd really rather not be associated with. The individual should also, at the very least, spell "my" writings in an Australian way (hint: we don't use 'z' in words ending in 'ise' ;-)).

I'm sure the individual in question would be less than pleased if I was to do the same to him (I'm pretty certain I know who it is but, of course, am without any actual evidence as yet), as would almost anyone here.

Cheers,
Mattt.
FG CVS on: E7400 @ ~3.2ghz, Asus P5e, 4gb RAM, 512mb 8400GS, MS FF Pro, Logitech Illum KB, 2 x 19" LCDs
mattt

Postby ChocBoy » Sun May 23, 2010 2:40 pm

They didn't only attack you. They blasted Atlas as well.....and in the May newsletter, it looks like they made a note on flame wars? :| :| :| :| :|
Account locked by self soon. Taking a break from FG. If you want to contact me, email me. Please don't hesitate. Anything, email.
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Postby mattt » Sun May 23, 2010 2:51 pm

ChocBoy wrote:They didn't only attack you. They blasted Atlas as well.....and in the May newsletter, it looks like they made a note on flame wars? :| :| :| :| :|

Yup. That's what I'm getting at. Except "they" looks like me. I certainly wouldn't attack AVA. Never had any problem with it, and never wished it anything but success - to the extent that I've twice offered assistance.

And, as I said above, I certainly wouldn't be mentioning the "flame wars", etc. I don't even condone them being mentioned in the newsletter, irrespective of the contributor. Personally, given an account on the wiki, I'd be deleting those entries every time they were submitted :-)

Cheers,
Mattt.
mattt

Postby ChocBoy » Sun May 23, 2010 2:54 pm

mattt wrote:ance.

And, as I said above, I certainly wouldn't be mentioning the "flame wars", etc. I don't even condone them being mentioned in the newsletter, irrespective of the contributor. Personally, given an account on the wiki, I'd be deleting those entries every time they were submitted :-)

Cheers,
Mattt.

It seems that the mods and other users have kept it up....they feel that it serves as a warning to future trolls. Which to me, I can't understand. The newsletter is supposed to be about the progress and breakthroughs of FG, not its setbacks. Although, I suppose if you want to be unbiased, you have to include the bad stuff, too.
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Postby mattt » Sun May 23, 2010 2:59 pm

ChocBoy wrote:
mattt wrote:Although, I suppose if you want to be unbiased, you have to include the bad stuff, too.

Notwithstanding the fact that I may be wrong, I don't think the newsletter is meant as any kind of "internal" document. Thus, it's meant to be biased - *for* FlightGear. Any mention of unpleasantness within the community belies that bias.

Cheers,
Mattt.
mattt

Postby ChocBoy » Sun May 23, 2010 3:08 pm

mattt wrote:
Notwithstanding the fact that I may be wrong, I don't think the newsletter is meant as any kind of "internal" document. Thus, it's meant to be biased - *for* FlightGear. Any mention of unpleasantness within the community belies that bias.

Yes, "you" (don't worry, I know it wasn't) flamed me off when I mentioned covering up the bad things.

But either way, we shouldn't even have the word "war" in the newsletter. It SHOULD make FG seem like a utopia.
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Postby Gijs » Sun May 23, 2010 4:36 pm

ChocBoy wrote:It seems that the mods and other users have kept it up....they feel that it serves as a warning to future trolls.

You forget that I do check newsletters before they are "published". Don't forget that the May edition is not published (it is only meant to be read by those that are willing to contribute to the letter). That's the downside of working on a newsletter in public (but that doesn't weight up against all benefits).

When it is published, the article is locked so no-one but me and the wiki admin can make edits.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby ChocBoy » Sun May 23, 2010 5:14 pm

Gijs wrote:
ChocBoy wrote:It seems that the mods and other users have kept it up....they feel that it serves as a warning to future trolls.

You forget that I do check newsletters before they are "published". Don't forget that the May edition is not published (it is only meant to be read by those that are willing to contribute to the letter). That's the downside of working on a newsletter in public (but that doesn't weight up against all benefits).

When it is published, the article is locked so no-one but me and the wiki admin can make edits.

Are you going to leave the flame war report in?

P.S. I suggest you take it out, but that's just my opinion.
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Postby mattt » Sun May 23, 2010 10:10 pm

Gijs wrote:You forget that I do check newsletters before they are "published".

Of course I don't :-)

Gijs wrote:Don't forget that the May edition is not published (it is only meant to be read by those that are willing to contribute to the letter). That's the downside of working on a newsletter in public

I can presently think of another...

Gijs wrote:When it is published, the article is locked so no-one but me and the wiki admin can make edits.

By which you evidently mean that no-one but yourself can (or, at least, does) make edits, since I'm led to believe the wiki admin has been difficult to pin down for at least the last two-odd months :p

Cheers,
Mattt.
mattt

Postby simbabeat » Mon May 24, 2010 3:26 am

Note: It *will* be the name of an existing forum user

joke right?
simbabeat

Postby mattt » Mon May 24, 2010 5:49 am

simbabeat wrote:
Note: It *will* be the name of an existing forum user

joke right?

Why? Do you think it'd be poor form?

Cheers,
Mattt.
mattt

Postby ChocBoy » Mon May 24, 2010 10:26 pm

mattt wrote:Note: It *will* be the name of an existing forum user

Why? Do you think it'd be poor form?

Cheers,
Mattt.

I'd certainly say so! Just because we have one jerk here who randomly chose to abuse your username doesn't mean you have to abuse another random guy's. First of all, we can't prove that this guy/gal is purposely impersonating you. It's no crime to have the same username as someone on a different site. Second of all, there's no proof on who it is. I would reccomend you focus your efforts on identifying the perpetrator, and not start spraying bullets into a crowd of suspects hoping you hit the guilty guy.

But then again, this is entirely up to you....
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Next

Return to The FlightGear project