Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

Missions for flightgear

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Missions for flightgear

Postby jaques.flightgear » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:25 pm

Hi folks,

I only flew MS flight simulator in demo version long time ago but one thing I remember is the ability to choose a mission.

I think this could be quite a challenge for fg pilots, too after they got to know the basics of flying and navigating. On the fg homepage one can find in the menue "places to fly" but this is only a hint for an interesting region or airport in general. I would appreciate a complete mission with descrption of the airport where you take off, description of departure procedure, important en route navaids, STARs and description of destination airport. Additionally this could be fun to find somebody else to fly with at another place but the bay area. I also could imagine to add links to URLs of interesting places on your trip. Maybe one of us gets the chance to make the simulated trip in real life! Another idea is to add links to youtube-flims about special approaches to your choosen airport. This way you get the chance to learn about another edge of the world.

The last weeks for example I explored the region between Las Vegas and the Denver. I met places with a/c where I was on a holiday 10 years ago. Interesting to meet some of the places from another angle of view.
Very challenging was my mission from KTEX (Telluride) to KASE (Aspen) and then to KDEN (Denver Intl). You should try "roaring fork visual approach" to KASE (search for in youtube and on http://www.airnav.com (approches to KASE)) A real adventure in the aerostar or another medium a/c!

What do you think abot this idea?

Cheers

Jaques
Last edited by jaques.flightgear on Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaques.flightgear

Callsign: D-EVIL
Version: 2020.4.0

Re: Missions for flightgear

Postby redneck » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:27 pm

This has already been discussed. The solution found was to use the tutorial system to make interactive missions. No one seems to have done that yet.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby jaques.flightgear » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:28 pm

You mean a toutorial that can be started from an aircraft?
jaques.flightgear

Callsign: D-EVIL
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby redneck » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:10 am

Yes. There's a way to make those. If you learn how to make those, you can use that system to make interactive missions just like in FSX.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby Fahim Dalvi » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:34 am

Hi,

Or you could use Nasal. Just like the Air-racing script. You can then have checkpoints and scoring :)

Fahim
Fahim Dalvi

Callsign: Fahim
Version: 2020.3.11

Postby Gijs » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:50 am

jaques.flightgear wrote:You mean a toutorial that can be started from an aircraft?

http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Tutorials
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Thorsten » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:41 am

I'm not sure why you'd want to have 'missions'. For VFR, you can simply go - I flew from Munich to Kabul on VFR rules with just a couple of maps, because I was curious if I could do it with the terrain detail level of Flightgear. It's not like a military mission where you need the AI to place at least a target object into the scenery or so. And as to where the scenery is nice... usually where people have put lots of effort.

For IFR flight, just prepare your flight as you would do for the real thing - look up navaids and procedures (often they are available online, http://www.airnav.com for example is the resource for the US) - this works just fine, I've made approaches in blizzard conditions to airports where I've never been before and found the runway just fine. There is no need for Flightgear to provide the same info, it's so realistic you can use the real info.

More philosophically - it's a simulation. The whole point of it is that I can do (within limits) whatever I want within my simulated environment - so now that freedom gets so scary that we need missions to have the computer tell us what we should do because we don't want to decide that ourselves? :D
Thorsten

Postby HHS » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:37 pm

Thorsten wrote:...
More philosophically - it's a simulation. The whole point of it is that I can do (within limits) whatever I want within my simulated environment - so now that freedom gets so scary that we need missions to have the computer tell us what we should do because we don't want to decide that ourselves? :D

Well, yes and no.

"Missions" , this name come from MSFS, where you have to complete tasks like rescuing from oilplatform, landing at bad weather etc...
On the one side it gives me a high Game character, on the other side it can be usefull to learn.

The SenecaII and the HansaJet uses our Tutorial system for the checklists.
The C172p for educating how to fly properly.

"Missions" aka Tutorials should be better used to show and educate things to users.
Up, up and away
HHS

Version: GIT

Postby MaverickAlex » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:20 pm

You could always join http://www.atlasvirtualairlines.com

The routes are planned for you and secional charts are shown in the Pilot Brief. It even calculates your fuel requirement.
http://www.atlasvirtualairlines.com
Modeller of: TNCM TBPB MDPP TFFF TJSJ FMEE TKPK TFFG TQPF KLAX KATL EGNJ EGGW APACHE, EUROFIGHTER, HP VICTOR, DHC8
FGcom 122.75
creator Terragear GUI
MaverickAlex

Postby Arthur Maiden » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:48 am

/\ Plugging away huh Mav?

anyways, the missions in MSFS was one of the things that drew me into it, the lack of keyboard support and decent control was one of the things that turned me away, so if you could have both, that is perfectly fine by me, apart from my favourite "mission" isnt posible in FGFS... no oil rig or moving boats...
FGUK - A FlightGear community in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland
Callsign: G-PHEN
AVA Callsign: AVA0016 - RETIRED
The development of the S92 has infected my Avatar...
Arthur Maiden

Postby stuart » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:28 pm

Arthur Maiden wrote:... apart from my favourite "mission" isnt posible in FGFS... no oil rig or moving boats...

We have support for both:
- We already have oil-rig models, and you can use the tutorial system to place a model wherever you wish
- We also have boats that can be controlled either using the AI system or using Nasal.

So, I don't think there is any technical reason why you couldn't create a mission using the tutorial system using both elements.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby Arthur Maiden » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:45 pm

apart from me being a complete and utter useless sod at nasal? :o
and i was on about a boat model that moves, maybe by using the same system as the hot-air baloons but just dont float? the heli has to hover over the said vessel for about a minute without moving about too much. now all i need to do is find some code-help on the wiki, if there is any...
Arthur Maiden

Postby stuart » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:51 pm

Arthur Maiden wrote:apart from me being a complete and utter useless sod at nasal? :o

Actually, you might not need any Nasal.

Arthur Maiden wrote:and i was on about a boat model that moves, maybe by using the same system as the hot-air baloons but just dont float? the heli has to hover over the said vessel for about a minute without moving about too much. now all i need to do is find some code-help on the wiki, if there is any...

I assume the idea is that the user has to pilot the helicopter and hover over the boat?

That should be easy enough. You can create an AI scenario with the boat - have a look at docs/AI_doc.html for help. You can either set a speed and rudder value (so it goes in a circle), or you can create a "flight plan" for the boat with waypoints. - have a look at AI/vinson_demo.xml for ideas, and in particular the cruise ship at the bottom of the file.

Once you've got your AI scenario set up, you can create a tutorial around it. There's documentation of the tutorial system in docs/README.tutorials. Relating the aircraft position to the boat position might need a bit of Nasal - there are some simple functions in geo.nas to get the position relative to a lat/lon.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby Arthur Maiden » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:03 pm

hmmm, i might just do that, anyone interesed in a download when its finished?
oh and PS can the little boat be landed on? or do i have to change that value too?
Arthur Maiden

Return to Multiplayer events