Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

joystick

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

joystick

Postby Sebulba » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:58 am

Hi there, i would like to ask you people who play flight gear under linux for a good compatible joystick. i don't want to buy something that won't work so...if you have anything to suggest for sure please do. also i buy things from here http://www.e-shop.gr/search_per.phtml?c ... 2=JOYSTICK since i live in Greece and i'd love it if you'd take a look and tell me if any of those will work
Sebulba

Re: joystick

Postby Sebulba » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:56 pm

C'mon guys! I started a poll asking what is the operation system you choose to run flight gear and linux came first. No one of you uses a joystick? Give me a suggestion! I am particulary interested in this one: http://www.e-shop.gr/show_per.phtml?id= ... H-ATTACK-3

anyone using it? is it compatible?
Sebulba

Postby simbabeat » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:07 am

Ahhh yes that joystick there you posted is compatible with flightgear. It has a built in .xml. I have a very similar one, the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. It is wonderful.
simbabeat

Postby mfranz » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:26 am

Any USB joystick will work. If you don't have pedals, then you should get a joystick with twist axis. Lots of buttons are an advantage. Joysticks using Hall-Sensors instead of potentiometers are preferable, but expensive. Mine is a relatively cheap "Saitek Cyborg Gold 3D USB", and I'm quite happy with it, though I wouldn't mind having one of the "good" Saiteks. :-)
mfranz

Postby ChocBoy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:33 am

I have a Saitek Cyborg X and it works great! Has a twist axis, TONS of buttons
Account locked by self soon. Taking a break from FG. If you want to contact me, email me. Please don't hesitate. Anything, email.
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Callsign: ChocBoy

Postby glazmax » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:23 am

I highly recommend the Saitek Aviator (AV8R), as it has a twist axis and the calibration is just fine after a year of usage. I previously had a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, but was disappointed as it lost precision pretty quickly and was unusable after 15-18 months.

Fly on,
glazmax
XXX pilot of the caribbean - bones and porters XXX
glazmax

Callsign: jettoo/OE-JTO
Version: cvs

Postby ChocBoy » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:36 am

I'm telling you, the Cyborg X is the way to go. I will post my joystick xml here so you don't have to do any xml creating. Here's a link to it:

http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-PS38-Cyborg-X-Stick/dp/B001EYU1VO

40 bucks! And you don't have to get any rudder pedals. Plus, you have two throttles, a total of 11 buttons, a scroll wheel, and a nice little up-down-left-right selector that I use for looking around. You can also use it as an auxilary joystick- a "joystick within a joystic". Or for trim. And the whole joystick is highly adjustable.
Account locked by self soon. Taking a break from FG. If you want to contact me, email me. Please don't hesitate. Anything, email.
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Callsign: ChocBoy

Postby Sebulba » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:17 pm

Just to update everybody i bought Logitech attack 3 and just plugged its usb cable and started flight gear 2.0.0 on ubuntu 9.10 and it worked perfectly all the keys work the flaps the gears the throttle everything and i did no configuration at all. just plugged it and played!
Sebulba

Postby simbabeat » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:47 pm

And then if you wanted the buttons to be different it is as easy as pie!
simbabeat

Postby glazmax » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:19 am

Sebulba wrote:Just to update everybody i bought Logitech attack 3 and just plugged its usb cable and started flight gear 2.0.0 on ubuntu 9.10 and it worked perfectly all the keys work the flaps the gears the throttle everything and i did no configuration at all. just plugged it and played!

Congrats. So you have some months before you have to begin to think what joystick to buy next .. :wink:

Fly on,
glazmax
XXX pilot of the caribbean - bones and porters XXX
glazmax

Callsign: jettoo/OE-JTO
Version: cvs

Return to Hardware