Board index FlightGear Support Tools Atlas

Atlas doesn't read position from FG

Atlas is an addon that lets FlightGear users display a real-time "moving-map" of their flight.

Atlas doesn't read position from FG

Postby miho » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:19 pm

Hi,

I successfully installed FG 1.9.1 and Atlas on my notebook on Windows 7 and both are running fine with the Bay Area scenery. I see a map of the area but it looks a bit odd. The ILS markers e.g. don't align with the runways at the airports. I am not sure if that is a known issue or a feature. I tried attaching a screenshot but some quota prevented me from it....

However, my main issue is that Atlas is not updating the aircrafts position. I asked Fg to send it to port 5500 on my local machine and verified that it does so using Commview. Still, no joy from Atlas.

How can I check what's wrong? Anything I have missed from the instructions?
Thanks,
Mike
miho

Re: Atlas doesn't read position from FG

Postby miho » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:39 pm

Looks like I found the solution. The firewall need applying the rules, again. I had switched it off with no success earlier but must have changed something else in the meantime.

Still, the odd position of the ILs markers remains.

Thanks,
Mike
miho

Postby bschack » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:10 am

miho wrote:I successfully installed FG 1.9.1 and Atlas on my notebook on Windows 7 and both are running fine with the Bay Area scenery. I see a map of the area but it looks a bit odd. The ILS markers e.g. don't align with the runways at the airports. I am not sure if that is a known issue or a feature. I tried attaching a screenshot but some quota prevented me from it....

This might be an old bug. Do you know which version of Atlas you're running? If you don't know the version, could you describe how it looks in a bit more detail? By "ILS marker", do you mean the ILS "beam", or the inner/middle/outer markers?

Brian
bschack

Postby miho » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:10 pm

Hi Brian,

yes, the ILS beams were offset and it was an old version issue. I installed another one from a website I found mentioned in another thread. That solved the offset beam issue but re-introduced the lack of connection with FG. I checked the firewall again, but that didn't make a difference. I am a bit lost and frustrated. I installed some other scenery manually and also played with terrasync at the same time. Turned it off again but that wasn't the issue, either.

I'll investiagte further later...
Mike
miho

Postby bschack » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:55 pm

miho wrote:yes, the ILS beams were offset and it was an old version issue. I installed another one from a website I found mentioned in another thread. That solved the offset beam issue but re-introduced the lack of connection with FG. I checked the firewall again, but that didn't make a difference. I am a bit lost and frustrated. I installed some other scenery manually and also played with terrasync at the same time. Turned it off again but that wasn't the issue, either.

I'll investiagte further later...
Mike

If you aren't having any success, then I suggest you post the command-line options you used (both for FlightGear and Atlas) here - it might help to have other eyeballs looking at the problem.

Brian
bschack

Postby miho » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:07 pm

Here are my command lines:
The output from the FGrun command line window:

C:\Program Files (x86)\FlightGear\bin\Win32\fgfs.exe
--fg-root=C:\Program Files (x86)\FlightGear\data
--fg-scenery=C:\Program Files (x86)\FlightGear\data\Scenery;C:\Program Files (x86)\FlightGear\scenery;C:\Program Files (x86)\FlightGear\terrasync
--airport=KSFO
--aircraft=c172p-2dpanel
--control=keyboard
--disable-random-objects
--prop:/sim/rendering/random-vegetation=false
--enable-auto-coordination
--enable-horizon-effect
--enable-enhanced-lighting
--disable-ai-models
--fog-fastest
--geometry=800x600
--bpp=24
--timeofday=noon
--ai-scenario=aircraft_demo
--atlas=socket,out,5,localhost,5500,udp

the command line I am using for starting Atlas:

c:\Program Files (x86)\FlightGear\bin\Win32>atlas.exe "--fg-root=C:\Program Files (x86)\FlightGear\Data" "--path=C:\Program Files (x86)\FlightGear\data\Atlas" --udp=5500

I have tried it with and without the --udp=5500 option. It did make a difference in the older Atlas version but not this 1.0.0 any more. I did also check the UDP packets from FG and they are fine. I can see them on the loopback interface. I also tried another socket on both FG and Atlas, 5505. No joy, either. Is there a way of getting Atlas to output more debugging info?

Any help appreciated,
Mike
miho

Postby miho » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:32 am

Just had a look at the notes of the latest pre-built Atlas binary and it seems it has been built for win32. Has anyone tried that on Win 7, yet? Or am I the first one and it just might need another build?

Thanks,
Mike
miho

Postby bschack » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:07 am

miho wrote:Here are my command lines:
The output from the FGrun command line window:

C:\Program Files (x86)\FlightGear\bin\Win32\fgfs.exe
[...]
--atlas=socket,out,5,localhost,5500,udp

the command line I am using for starting Atlas:

c:\Program Files (x86)\FlightGear\bin\Win32>atlas.exe "--fg-root=C:\Program Files (x86)\FlightGear\Data" "--path=C:\Program Files (x86)\FlightGear\data\Atlas" --udp=5500

I have tried it with and without the --udp=5500 option. It did make a difference in the older Atlas version but not this 1.0.0 any more. I did also check the UDP packets from FG and they are fine. I can see them on the loopback interface. I also tried another socket on both FG and Atlas, 5505. No joy, either. Is there a way of getting Atlas to output more debugging info?

It looks fine to me. I just did a quick test here and Atlas successfully communicated with FG. As for debugging info, unfortunately, there's nothing in Atlas right now to do that.

I assume that Atlas and FlightGear are running on the same machine? I don't think this will help, but can you give me an example of one UDP packet - I just want to see what FlightGear is sending to Atlas.

Brian
bschack

Postby miho » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:34 am

Hi Brian,

I haven't got a UDP packet handy but noticed that the old Atlas (IIRC downloaded as 0-3-0)version works fine while the new one (reports version 1.0.0) does not. One suspicion of mine is still the firewall but why would the new version be treated differently?

This is the same with Fg1.9.1 and 2.0.0.

Any help appreciated,
Mike
miho

Postby bschack » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:16 am

miho wrote:I haven't got a UDP packet handy but noticed that the old Atlas (IIRC downloaded as 0-3-0)version works fine while the new one (reports version 1.0.0) does not. One suspicion of mine is still the firewall but why would the new version be treated differently?

You're right - it shouldn't. Nothing comes to mind at the moment. The code for communicating has changed a bit, but not in a fundamental way that would prevent communication altogether.

Another possibility is to try the CVS version, but that would require compiling Atlas, which can be tricky because of all the libraries it relies on. Finally, you could try getting a newer version. You can find a pretty up-to-date version here:

http://geoffair.net/fg/fgfs-049.htm

Brian
bschack

Return to Atlas