Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

Joystick configuration

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

Joystick configuration

Postby bassmannate » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:27 pm

I can't seem to get my joystick settings to take effect. My Logitech Extreme 3d Pro works but I can't get button bindings to change at all. I've tried fgjs, I've tried changing the xml files directly and still can't change the bindings.
bassmannate

Re: Joystick configuration

Postby MD-Terp » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:03 am

bassmannate wrote:I've tried changing the xml files directly

WHICH xml files?

As has been stated many times elsewhere on the forum, there are two files you need to be aware of when manually adjusting joystick bindings:
(1) data/input/joysticks.xml: which directs FG to which bindings file you wish to use;
(2) data/input/joysticks/{brand name}/{blah}.xml: the bindings themselves.

You didn't specify which OS you are on; but particularly if you are on Windows, chances are that the current configuration is kicking you into a generic "default" bindings file (again, search this forum if you want the full explanation). Edit the first of two above (and make sure to remove the <!-- --> tags around the statement you wish to have an actual effect) to direct FG to load the bindings file you want to use; otherwise, no amount of editing on that second file will have any effect.

Sorry for my terse tone -- I really do wish to welcome you to our community. However, please be mindful that many of these problems have been addressed many, many times, and the answers you seek might already be here without someone having to type them all over again!
Cheers,
-Rob.

"Retired" from FlightGear involvement as of July 2010.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Callsign: N531MD, AVA0025

Postby bassmannate » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:07 am

Sorry for the long gap in reply. I just moved to a new house and just got internet back today.

Well, I'm in Ubuntu Linux. I didn't have a joysticks.xml file in my data/input directory so I copied the one from data to data/Input. Still no dice. I've made sure that it's pointing to the file I need in data/Input/Joysticks/Logitech

When I pull up the joystick information window in flightgear, it shows the correct buttons assigned to the correct functions but they still don't work.
bassmannate

Postby bassmannate » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:19 am

Just did a little more messing around. It appears that my extreme-3d-pro.xml file didn't have the right name tagged in it. So, I added Logitech Logitech Extreme 3D name as js_demo shows it to be and now it recognizes it.
bassmannate

Postby MD-Terp » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:50 pm

bassmannate wrote:I didn't have a joysticks.xml file in my data/input directory so I copied the one from data

My bad. joysticks.xml is indeed in /data, not /data/Input.

Glad you found a working solution.
Cheers,
-Rob.

"Retired" from FlightGear involvement as of July 2010.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Callsign: N531MD, AVA0025

Return to Hardware