Board index FlightGear Support

is flightgear ready for windows 7?

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

is flightgear ready for windows 7?

Postby 13th racing kid » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:19 pm

hey guys, in a few days windows seven is going to be released and is going to be shipped to my door, so will flight gear be compatible with it cause I don't wan't to install my new os only to find out fg won't run correctly. :?

or will they make a new version of fg for it :D.
13th racing kid

Re: is flightgear ready for windows 7?

Postby JcHnd » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:12 am

i hope so, i heard there's a new realease for next year... i guess it's gonna have an update for windows 7... would be cool cuz i will have it too soon :wink:
Live Your Life, The Way You Are!!! Image

My Liveries Site:
http://jchnd.blogspot.com/
JcHnd

Callsign: HR-JCL
Version: 2

Postby flameout » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:03 am

Although I am not sure if there's been any testing done on it yet, it may or may not. Hopefully, it will.

However, with no testing, we don't have any way to guarantee it will work on Windows 7. If 1.9.1 doesn't, however, then there will probably be a fix pretty soon in CVS. Thus, you could use CVS or wait until the next release.

I hope it runs fine.
Also known as Johnathan Van Why.
flameout

Callsign: MSJF
Version: GIT

Postby bnex10 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:00 am

I have Windows 7 Release Candidate, FG works great with it.

There is some minor adjustments you have to do. I believe you may have to run fgrun and fgfs as administrator.
Callsign: Ion
bnex10

Callsign: Ion
Version: Git

Postby MAKG » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:04 pm

bnex10 wrote:There is some minor adjustments you have to do. I believe you may have to run fgrun and fgfs as administrator.

That's not minor.

I would never consider running such a massively complex system as Administrator even if it were formally verified and complete (and that's impossible for a project this size).

If FG is a priority for you, that "minor" issue by itself is sufficient to prevent the upgrade.

IT "best practice" is to run user-space programs in user space, with as few permissions as possible. FG doesn't do anything related to the OS, so it should run as an emasculated user. FG "clients" provide several internet services. This makes them vectors for viruses and breakins. The only security you can have like that when running as Administrator is security by obscurity, which is considered incompetent.
MAKG

Postby YourDailyTsunami » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:12 pm

hi, I have problems with win7... I tried the cvs version as well as the normal version, but both freeze when I start the simulator. The error code readout is made up by weird numbers

I've never seen anything like this... and the forum search didn't help me out either -_-

edit: I'm running it as an administrator with all bells&whistles on a Win7 ultimate, the same computer was fine with Flightgear when it ran the (otherwise horrible) Vista Ultimate!
all the booze is free, airline goin' broke, here come the ladies with another jack'n'coke... :P
YourDailyTsunami

Callsign: Tsunami

Postby flameout » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:48 pm

Can you please check "Show Command Line" (or the equivalent in that language?)

Also, try deselecting all the AI Scenarios except bigstorm_demo, and deselect "AI models." Please report if these change the errors/stop them.

I hope this helps.
Also known as Johnathan Van Why.
flameout

Callsign: MSJF

Postby teh warlock » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:06 am

what are you doing with it? i have 7 ultimate and i never seen nothing like that in my life!!!
remember this: when in doubt ask skyop.
teh warlock

IRC name: tehwarlock
Version: git

Postby redneck » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:44 am

It looks like it's just taking a long time to load for you, with the log level increased to a higher level. First of all, I see airports being added, their coordinates, and, I think, comm radio frequencies that can be used there. Then, I think I see possibly some navaids in there as well. I know I got something like that when I tried to run FG on Windows XP and turned the log level up when I found that it had seemed to freeze at "loading scenery objects". I have no idea how to fix this, but it looks like it could run, after you wait a few hours (or perhaps days) for it to load.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby YourDailyTsunami » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:08 pm

thanx for the suggestions, I'll try them next week (I hope I don't have to let my computer run for days, that'd mean sleeping on the couch :? )
all the booze is free, airline goin' broke, here come the ladies with another jack'n'coke... :P
YourDailyTsunami

Callsign: Tsunami

Postby rick0808 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:29 pm

I just switched from a system running XP to a Windows Ultimate system. The XP system had a duo core processor and 1 gig of ram and ran Flight gear just fine. The new Windows 7 system has Two duo core processors for a total of 4 cores and 4 gig of ram, however Flightgear will not run properly on it. It freezes every other second which causes impossible delays.
Any ideas on getting Flightgear to work on Windows 7 Ultimate? :?
rick0808

Postby teh warlock » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:59 pm

i dunno i have windows 7 ultimaye... i switched fromhome premium to vista ultimate and now win 7 ultimate :) i have an amd 64 , nvidia geforce 6150 le..... it works perfect i dont know what all these bugs are for in win 7..... :? hopefully you work it out.. wait... explain your problems and i might be able to help you
remember this: when in doubt ask skyop.
teh warlock

IRC name: tehwarlock
Version: git

Postby rick0808 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:53 pm

I have
AMD Opteron 2.7gh processors (x4)
2.5 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 6800
495 MB Total Available Graphics Memory
256 MB Dedicated Video Memory
239 MB Shared System Memory

Running Windows 7 Ultimate

The problem is that the application doesn't run in real time. The video is not smooth, it goes for a second then freezes for a second then goes for a second then freezes and the key entries are delayed.
A check of the processors and memory show that neither are being taxed all that much while the program is running.
rick0808

Postby ot-666 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:27 pm

During several tests (primary goal to get runway lights working) on different machines i figured out that on all the win7 64bit setups FG (1.9.1 or cvs / last binary avalibale) will use mostly one core with 5% and the other with 70-100%. The same machine with a XP 32bit seems use both cores similarly with 50% load on each core (55+ frames).

Figured that in addition to that, the gpu load drops from 25-35% (XP running ATI ccc-9.6 drivers) to an average of 8-12% (win7-64bit) and is shifting most of the rendering load on the cpu (still getting around 25-30frames with drops to 12frames). Tried on a intel c2d-e8200 @ 3.2ghz / 8gig / ati hd3870. This behavior seems to be mostly the fault of the poorly done 64bit win7 openGL drivers from ati, but I still wonder why 1 core drops to just 5% load. Only during the startup of FG both cores will be used with nearly 100% load. This happens (ati-hd3870) with the 64bit driver versions from ccc-9.6 up to the latest ccc-9.11.

With the win7 / ati-9.11 drivers I gave glview315 a try and got those results:

OpenGL Extensions Viewer / Rendering Tests at 1680x1050 32bits 60Hz
1.1 - Passed - 3075
1.2 - Passed - 3167
1.3 - Passed - 3090
1.4 - Passed - 2970
1.5 - Passed - 2996
2.0 - Passed - 2914
2.1 - Passed - 186
3.0 - N/A - N/A

Since I’m not sure what kind of stuff is used by FG and I got no more nvidea card around to figure out if their 64bit drivers are any better I run out of ideas here and hope the problem got sorted out with the next ATI :evil: drivers or maybe the next FG :D version.

Would still be extremely nice, if someone with the proper knowledge, would mange to make a new windows cvs 64bit version avaliable.
The latest build on ftp://ftp.ihg.uni-duisburg.de/FlightGea ... 090817.zip is fom 16.08.2009 for 32bit windows.

Cheers, Oliver
ot-666

Callsign: ot-666
IRC name: ot666

Postby banjo » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:22 pm

Can anyone help this computer illiterate? I used to run Flight gear on Windows XP. I have just bought a new Acer laptop (Aspire 332) and have loaded the program. However, although the system loads, I cannot make the 4 and 6 numbers on the keypad stop the plane veering left on the runway after incresing throttle and there is none of the smooth action from XP. Any suggestions (please keep it simple!). Thanks folks.
banjo

Next

Return to Support