Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Scooters and Motorcycles for FlightGear

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Scooters and Motorcycles for FlightGear

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:11 am

Thought I'd share this, as of today I've ported my Flying Model Simulator Vespa Scooter into FlightGear.

It's working well, I've done some small FDM tuning adjustments, more animation fine tuning is needed.

It uses a YAsim FDM which makes for some interesting handling on wet surfaces and non road terrain. :lol:

I'm also working on another bike.

These bikes are being prepped for the upcoming Isle of Man Scooter Tour I've posted a thread about in Multiplayer Events.

http://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22114

Links to bikes and the Isle of Man terrain..http://www.mediafire.com/download/kqo15189t9od76w/Ducati-SS50.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/download/20z3rcheqeharza/EGNS.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/download/oihaho3cuq6t9l2/Vespa-GS125.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/download/m6zsgruv99bjg85/Ducati-SS50.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1fhza587i5a4ho9/Yamaha-YG1.zip
Last edited by LesterBoffo on Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Re: Scooters and Motorcycles for FlightGear

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:24 pm

12 minute video of the work I've done so far. This is starting at the NorthEast end of the Isle of Man TT course grandstands and parking area of the start/finish in Douglas, and finishing up at the corner of A1 and A3 at Ballacraine. I'm also making the special scenery items for Isle of Man.

LesterBoffo

Postby psadro_gm » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:03 pm

Nice! Note: at 4:38 - I'm working on a better road smoothing algorithm that should reduce these asphalt 'walls', Roads along a slope should be flatter.
Now we can have multi-player scooter races.
8.50 airport parser, textured roads and streams...
psadro_gm

IRC name: psadro_*
Version: git

Postby Michat » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:08 pm

That's a BIG LOL.

Excellent job LesBof congratulations.
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:24 pm

Wow psadro thanks, Is there a chance of there being some sort of gradient averaging so the roads have fills and cuts instead of just draping across the heightmap? I guess that would up the terrain triangle count immensely though. :?

:lol: Yeah I put up some tires to warn about the sudden 80 degree rotation shift in the road surfaces there at Union Mills. The big problem is they new items I'm making for this course are 'hot', so if you hit them you need to reset. The ride dynamics are a bit fudged, more to do with weights and sneaky use of aerodynamics. Since there's no feedback it's not like we can actually counter-steer. But it would be nice to get some semblance of wheel gyroscopic influence, but for now it works well, and the bike sticks to sloping roads as long as your controls are smooth. Pretty much like riding a real moto.

Thanks Michat I thought you would like this You should tell Vstrom about this, he'd love it.
LesterBoffo

Postby Johan G » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:25 pm

For the engine sound have a look at this sound file at Freesound.org. I can almost smell those blue exhaust gases. :wink: :lol:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:53 pm

Yeah it would work if he didn't vary the RPM so much. Since this FDM doesn't have gears it sort of sounds like a twist and go anyway.
LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:43 pm

I've got a bit of a solution for the YAsim wheels getting mired in rough/forest tiles. I've pasted the YAsim glider aero/winch tow function to the Vespa so you can place the winch 50 meters away and use it to tow yourself out. Or, you can connect in aerotow mode to another MP vehicle, and have it yank you out of the weeds. Tried it out in MP and it works well.

I've also started finishing up the race course scenery items, several regional type houses, hotels, and roadhouses, banners and pennants, pedestrian bridge, bleachers and the announcers tower at the start finish. The objects use imagery from Speed Dreams 2.0, so they are GPL compatible. I will release a scenery package with the adjusted .stgs and 3D files for the scenery Objects and Models.
LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:45 pm

A few days ago Detlef offered to customize his walker figure so she could ride the scooter, I agreed and also sent some images and 3D files his way so the rider has protective gear. In the mean time I've made a static rider figure.

The bike is ready to play with for those of you wanting to try out a FG motorscooter.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/oihaho3cuq6t9l2/Vespa-GS125.zip
LesterBoffo

Postby Hooray » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:54 pm

you may want to add a note about your work to the upcoming newsletter (see my signature), you can also embed your screen shots and the youtube video there.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby LesterBoffo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:08 pm

Hooray wrote in Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:54 pm:you may want to add a note about your work to the upcoming newsletter (see my signature), you can also embed your screen shots and the youtube video there.

Yeah I'm still struggling with editing your Wiki. Seems getting actual images into the wiki page along with a Youtube link has stymied me again, and I'm finding zip about how to do it. I seem to remember that it involves a Wiki file uploader. it's never easy to find the information on how to do it though.
LesterBoffo

Postby Gijs » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:13 pm

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Help:Upload, which can be found by clicking "Help" in the sidebar. Please let me know how we could make that clearer, or even better, improve whatever you feel needs to be improved ;-)
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Hooray » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:18 pm

For the youtube video, you'll just need the youtube link (the last part of it, video ID) and use some wiki markup to embed it - see some other newsletters or articles with working examples and just copy/paste and customize things, I think there's even a dedicated button for it, but it's basically this:

Which is then used like this:
Code: Select all
{{#ev:youtube|fwdnYUCNmGw}}

Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby LesterBoffo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:33 pm

well the other problem is Wiki is being glacially slow right now, and doesn't seem to clear the images sent to the uploader, it took almost ten minutes to process 3 images and it dropped the first one
LesterBoffo

Postby Gijs » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:41 pm

Simon (the wiki admin) is making some changes to the server to hopefully prevent an issue from reappearing. Might be wise to wait a day or two; there's several weeks till the newletter deadline anyway.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Next

Return to Aircraft