Board index FlightGear Support Installation

FG 2.10 and FGo! and FgLaunch Control-Ubuntu 12.04-Config?

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

FG 2.10 and FGo! and FgLaunch Control-Ubuntu 12.04-Config?

Postby emarkay » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:41 am

Is there a naming convention for the program directories/folders? I created ".fgfs_terrasync" and ".fgfs_scenery" in my Home directory- Apparently not working? (I get a lot of submerged planes.)

So, what are the updated/recommended default locations for the files (especially when using the GUI programs)?
Seems to be a mismatch case issue in filenames (see other post) and also, is there more than one possible location - usr/share/games or usr/games?

I then also downloaded and unpacked some 2.10 scenery... I see there are now "Airports", "Models", "Objects" and "Terrain" folders in my Home directory now; autocreated, apparently?

The unifying 2.10 Linux question is - What directories does one need to create, what are the default/recommended locations, and where to place any downloaded files (that don't autolocate/create appropriate directories) once and for all? (eg: scenery, root, aircraft, terrasync, atlas...) There are some conflicting Wiki entries when compared to some posts here regarding this.

Thanks!
Ubuntu 12.04.x LTS & Windows XP-SP3 (for MS FlightSim only):
Dell Precision 390, Pentium D 3.40G, 4G RAM, NVIDIA GT360, 2M VRAM (Main)
Dell Dimension E520, Pentium D 2.80G, 3G RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT, 1M VRAM
emarkay

Version: 2.10

Re: FG 2.10 and FGo! and FgLaunch Control-Ubuntu 12.04-Confi

Postby chris_blues » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:42 pm

emarkay wrote in Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:41 am:Is there a naming convention for the program directories/folders? I created ".fgfs_terrasync" and ".fgfs_scenery" in my Home directory- Apparently not working? (I get a lot of submerged planes.)

Usually there's no need to create any .dirs in home. These get created by the progs themselves. I have some dirs without . on my disks:
/home/myname/scenery
in there is
/home/myname/scenery/custom-scenery
/home/myname/scenery/terrasync
/home/myname/scenery/scenery-v2.10
To extract the world scenery, I very much recommend fgadmin, to do it properly! Not sure, but you should find it in the same location as fgfs.
Now you'll need to tell FG where to find that scenery. This should look sth like this: (you could put this into FGo's settings for scenery as well, but without the --fg_scenery= )
Code: Select all
--fg_scenery=/home/myname/scenery/custom-scenery:/home/myname/scenery/terrasync:/home/myname/scenery/scenery-v2.10

Beware, that the order of the dirs is exactly the order in which FG looks for data! So it's not very constructive to put the terrasync-folder after world scenery! FG will never display terrasync data in that case.

emarkay wrote in Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:41 am:So, what are the updated/recommended default locations for the files (especially when using the GUI programs)?
Seems to be a mismatch case issue in filenames (see other post) and also, is there more than one possible location - usr/share/games or usr/games?

IIRC Ubuntu always puts FGs data into /usr/share/games/flightgear/. But you shouldn't care about this, only when telling FGo where to look for the data. (see below)

emarkay wrote in Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:41 am:I then also downloaded and unpacked some 2.10 scenery... I see there are now "Airports", "Models", "Objects" and "Terrain" folders in my Home directory now; autocreated, apparently?

See above; fgadmin does this very nicely! If you want to make this by hand, you will have to take care to move every of that 4 folders into your scenery folder, before unpacking the next package and so on. Quite time consuming...

emarkay wrote in Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:41 am:The unifying 2.10 Linux question is - What directories does one need to create, what are the default/recommended locations, and where to place any downloaded files (that don't autolocate/create appropriate directories) once and for all? (eg: scenery, root, aircraft, terrasync, atlas...) There are some conflicting Wiki entries when compared to some posts here regarding this.!

I would recommend, to create a /home/yourname/scenery folder. Next, if you plan to add more planes and stuff add /home/yourname/fgdata . To get all the fancy stuff, planes and so on, I would do a git clone of fgdata there:
Possible, that you don't have git installed, in which case you do first: "sudo apt-get install git"
Code: Select all
$> cd /home/yourname/fgdata
$> git clone git://gitorious.org/fg/fgdata.git

The last command will take a whole lot of time and will download a whole lot of data! Hundreds of planes and stuff... So let it work it's way through. Sometimes the server hangs up on you. Don't worry and do the same "git clone..." again!
Next, you tell FG --fg_root=/home/yourname/fgdata (or do this in FGo's settings)

Personally, I've become a fan of the git versions! Look in the wiki for "scripted compilation"! Very easy and very nice to have all the latest versions for all components. But I guess, thats a question of taste, since from time to time, it happens that sth is not working properly or not working at all...

Good luck!
chris
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Callsign: chris_blues
Version: GIT

Return to Installation