Board index FlightGear Support Tools OpenRadar

OpenRadar: Prototype available for download

OpenRadar is a standalone radar screen which connects to the FlightGear multiplayer servers. It is currently being developed.

OpenRadar: Prototype available for download

Postby wagnerw » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:51 pm

OpenRadar (http://wiki.flightgear.org/OpenRadar) the standalone ATC application has reached a state where we want to invite others to test...

Main Features:
  • map displays landmass, airports, runways, navaids, ILS cones
  • dynamic map zoom with adapting detail level
  • contacts managed with flight strips (notes can be taken)
  • runway management and detail data
  • METAR retrieval, information displayed and used for runway selection
  • MP Chat support for filters (frequency and selected contact)
  • FgCom integration (up to 4 frequencies)

Please help us to improve OpenRadar and give it a try!
wagnerw

Callsign: D-W794

Re: OpenRadar: Prototype available for download

Postby Gijs » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:11 pm

Great to finally see a test version!

I get the following error when I click OpenRadar.jar:
Java Virtual Machine Launcher wrote:Could not find the main class: de.knewcleus.openradar.OpenRadar.
Program will exit.

I can then only click "OK" and that closes the program (well, it never really opened anything).
When I launch it from commandline, I get:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: de/knewcleus/openradar/OpenRadar : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassCond(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
Could not find the main class: de.knewcleus.openradar.OpenRadar. Program will exit.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby wagnerw » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:31 pm

Your Java version is probably too old. I have used Version 1.7 to compile it. You seem to have an older version installed. So Java complaints that the byte code is too new for you.
I think about compile it for JDK 1.6 and publish it again, but try to update in meantime!
wagnerw

Postby Gijs » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:41 pm

Ah, I have 1.6.0_29b11, will update ;-)
Gijs

Postby Gijs » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:42 pm

It works great with 1.7.0_09-b05! Basic functions work as far as I can see. Downloading the shapefiles works nicely, I can send and receive MP chats, I can see MP aircraft, I can choose runways etc. Will do some more thorough testing next week, but this looks very promising! ;-)

Thanks for all the hard work!
Gijs

Postby sa7k » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:32 pm

Works fine in Debian GNU/linux too with openjdk-7. Congratulations wagnerw, it's looking awesome for a first release:!:
sa7k

Callsign: LV-EPM
IRC name: sa7k
Version: git

Postby wagnerw » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:16 am

I will publish an updated prototype version soon, reflecting the value feedback I have got so far.

The first release should contain a first message composer, I think, at least for the most important messages, like METAR/airport status, radar contact... So I let it get riper, while I publish a preview prototype from time to time. So you have the chance to give feedback and influence the first release.

Wolfram
wagnerw

Postby Omega » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:37 am

I had the chance to test it last night, here is what I've noticed so far:

- Altitude indication is incorrect, it showed about 700 ft when the pilot actually reported about 2300.

- Altitude should be displayed by 3 digits ONLY i.e "xx" and not "FLxxxx". The first digit should represent the TENS of thousands, the second digit should represent the THOUSANDS, the third digit represents the HUNDREDS in ft.
i.e: "230" = 23,000 ft
"058" = 5,800 ft

- Magnetic headings should be shown, and not true (it does show true at the moment)

These are the main things that should get fixed.
Now here are some other stuff that occurred just to me, I'm not sure if these problems really occur for everyone else.

- I can't receive voice through FGcom, sending voice does work though. (Delta server)

- My messages over in multiplayer chat are not visible to others; Although I can see their messages.

Now a few suggestions from my point of view/feedback:

The targets have way too large "lines" that represent their direction of flight/where they're pointing, I suggest cutting that to about a half or so.
Also, keep in mind that radars in the U.S airspace (issued by FAA), usually do not have this kind of targets at all (except for Center/Enroute positions) , they just show up as different letters with a trail to show if they are tracked, tracked by another controller or no tracked at all.

This can give you a general idea of what we're talking about: http://www1.metacraft.com/VRC/docs/doc. ... adar_modes

Then secondly, the ILS centerlines look too bulky, in real radars they can be represented by just a simple line or a line with distance markings (like those found in euroscope):

I hope this helps :) .
The engine is the heart of an aeroplane, but the pilot is its soul.
Omega

Callsign: Star,EHAA_CT,MIA0176
IRC name: Omega
Version: GIT

Postby sa7k » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:02 am

Omega wrote in Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:37 am:I had the chance to test it last night, here is what I've noticed so far:

- Altitude indication is incorrect, it showed about 700 ft when the pilot actually reported about 2300.

Maybe this has to do with 2300 feet being 700 meters.
sa7k

Callsign: LV-EPM
IRC name: sa7k
Version: git

Postby Omega » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:59 am

sa7k wrote in Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:02 am:Maybe this has to do with 2300 feet being 700 meters.

If that's the case then the altitude indication should be changed immediately to ft :wink: .
Omega

Postby jomo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:27 pm

I just love it !!! - cannot wait to really test it in our EDDF-events.
Of course the status is still shaky -- but much better than I would have expected!
During my first tests on my UBUNTU system i did not run into any system-problems. But of course
(for this stage of the game) I found many items that may be improved - but right now I see only 4
major points
, that prevent me from test/using it in "real life ATC-work" right away.

My list seems to be to big for this Forum-System - so pls find my detailed findings under http://www.emmerich-j.de/OpenRadar-Review.pdf.

wagnerw: I know that is a lot on first sight - but again: I only see 4 critical! And that is not much for
such a big design, CONGRATULATIONS and thanks. And I would like to participate (at least for
Testing - i do not plan to learn Java) - for now I offer to work my findings into your
http://wiki.flightgear.org/OpenRadarFeatureWishlist.
thanks for that phantastic work
joe
jomo / ATCjomo + EDDFjo + EDDFjo1 + EDDFjo2
ATC at EDDF Fr,Sa,Su,We from 20:00 to 24:00 CET/MEZ., see http://www.emmerich-j.de
jomo

Callsign: jomo EDDFjo1+2

Postby wagnerw » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:09 am

At first thanks for testing everyone. And thanks for your feedback.
I will release a much improved prototype soon.

=> Yes, I had the wrong units. ISO instead of miles, feed and stones. There where more problems with the speed: It was given in relation to the aircraft, so my METAR wind compensation to calculate airspeed was wrong too. This is fixed in the upcoming version.

- Altitude should be displayed by 3 digits ONLY i.e "xx" and not "FLxxxx". The first digit should represent the TENS of thousands, the second digit should represent the THOUSANDS, the third digit represents the HUNDREDS in ft.
i.e: "230" = 23,000 ft
"058" = 5,800 ft
=> adapted, I have added the vertical speed in hundreds of fpm to the radar screen and to the flight strips and location and distance of the radar contact to the flight strip. This should be reviewed. Is propably not available in reality, but useful if you need to see if he lands or starts. Maybe I change to something more realistic, as proposed below.

- Magnetic headings should be shown, and not true (it does show true at the moment)
=> Where can I get the magnetic variation from? Does FG has a file for that?

These are the main things that should get fixed.
Now here are some other stuff that occurred just to me, I'm not sure if these problems really occur for everyone else.
- I can't receive voice through FGcom, sending voice does work though. (Delta server)
=> I can, although if I run many things over my network or on my computer to the same time, I hear it distorted. Try to start it manually using the test frequency 911 (argument -f911) (see fgcom wiki page)

- My messages over in multiplayer chat are not visible to others; Although I can see their messages.
=> This might have to do, that I sent the messages only once and they are sent via UDP protocol. I have changed this to send them for 3 seconds, minimum 10 times. I hope this fixed this issue.

Now a few suggestions from my point of view/feedback:

The targets have way too large "lines" that represent their direction of flight/where they're pointing, I suggest cutting that to about a half or so.
Also, keep in mind that radars in the U.S airspace (issued by FAA), usually do not have this kind of targets at all (except for Center/Enroute positions) , they just show up as different letters with a trail to show if they are tracked, tracked by another controller or no tracked at all.
Yes the lines are too long... They pointed to the projected place, where plane would be in 60 seconds, if it would fly straight. I have changed ot to 30 seconds.

This can give you a general idea of what we're talking about: http://www1.metacraft.com/VRC/docs/doc. ... adar_modes
=> Good page!

Then secondly, the ILS centerlines look too bulky, in real radars they can be represented by just a simple line or a line with distance markings (like those found in euroscope):
=> This is painting the object "only". I have simply drawn, what MP map shows. I like your proposal better
wagnerw

Postby wagnerw » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:37 pm

I have got a question to the image you posted:

What is the reference unit of it. The space between the small distance markers, is it a mile/5000 feet?

Do you think the large wings on the sides are required? It is no problem to paint them, but they occupy a lot of space...

And: What about the marker beacons? Is there a symbol or do you want them to stay as they are, maybe adapted in size to the ILS symbol?

W.
wagnerw

Postby Omega » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:34 pm

Take a look at this:

http://www.wikiflusi.de/wikiflusi/index.php?oldid=2233

If you (for any reason) can't make a GUI which will help the user to manipulate these centerlines, you can of course make up your own default values.

These values are the most realistic and effective you can get:
These are also the default values for Euroscope.

I also have a few more suggestions,
first, it is conflict alerts!
Whenever planes get to about 5nm distance from each other, while they are at 1000ft or less separation, a conflict alert will be sounded and the targets and tags of the conflicting planes will be painted red.
Now, the real minimums are 3nm and 1000 ft, It would be better if the alerts pop up at 5nm just as a warning that the aircraft are coming close together!
http://www1.metacraft.com/VRC/docs/doc. ... ict_alerts

Secondly, In the most recent version of openradar, at the bottom there is the chatbox and on top of that there is the textbox.
Now, this is kinda awkward because most of the times in any other Instant Messaging type of program, the textbox appears at the bottom and the log window/chatbox on top of it :) .

Then at last: http://www1.metacraft.com/VRC/docs/doc. ... eful_tools
These are just for some inspiration to make ATC easier. I like the separation rings and the timer but also the ruler would be nice :D ,
Omega

Postby wagnerw » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:59 am

Thank you! I have implemented a new ILS painting following your example. I have used much lower values, because your example is named 4 miles...
The property dialogue would be useful, but for now, I want to skip it... there are so many more important things still to be implemented...
At least we have the ruler feature (right top, called "Selection To Pointer"), it shows the magnetic heading wind compensated...
Separation rings are easy to paint, I will add them when I rework the data block on display.
Alerts are on my personal wishlist.
Next steps are the chat input and other required features like the data block.

The chat input has been placed there by purpose. My thought was, that the ATC is centering his work around the radar display, everything needed all the time must be close to it: The Status panel to the right top and the chat input directly below the screen. Imagine the text input pressed against the lower edge of the window. I think it is better so. (?)

Maybe I publish a new test prototype this weekend...
wagnerw

Next

Return to OpenRadar