Board index FlightGear Support Interfacing

More than one plane

Connecting two computers, using generic protocol, connecting with Matlab?

More than one plane

Postby noether » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:10 pm

Hi guys,

this is my first post here. I write a simulator in C++ and I am employing FlightGear only as a 3D display. Right now I only have one plane,
just sending via UDP to FG the 3D position and attitude and everything is working fine.

But my simulator aims to coordination and formation flight, so I have more than one plane, and I would like to visualize them in FlightGear.

Do you know how can I do that? as there is Multiplayer capability, this should be possible right? Everything is externally driven, so I only
will send to FG the position and attitude of the planes.

Thank you very much.
noether

Re: More than one plane

Postby Hooray » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:05 am

Yes, it's possible to do this. Like you said, you could either use the multiplayer system or the AI system.
We've had a number of discussions on this. You might want to do a forum/wiki or a mailing list search.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby noether » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:25 am

Hooray wrote in Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:05 am:Yes, it's possible to do this. Like you said, you could either use the multiplayer system or the AI system.
We've had a number of discussions on this. You might want to do a forum/wiki or a mailing list search.

Thanks for your quick response, I was looking for a protocol description or just a tutorial of how to do that. I guess the wiki is not clear enough.

If I am not wrong, what I have to do is:
Own simulator (generate information) -> FG Server (gather information)-> FG Client (display information)

Is there documentation about how to interface in a raw way with the server? and is it possible to have a client for only visualizing the planes in the server?

Thanks in advance.
noether

Postby Hooray » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:32 pm

I was looking for a protocol description or just a tutorial of how to do that. I guess the wiki is not clear enough.

Like I said, please do a search (forum, wiki, mailing list).
Once you have done that, you'll find a plethora of related resources - such as for example: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Multiplayer_protocol

I have myself written rather detailed responses on exactly this topic a number of times.
Most of which can be found easily using keywords like "AI", "MULTIPLAYER", "FGMS", "FEED", "TRAFFIC" etc.

For example, you could do a search for XDR (which is only used in the MP component): search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=xdr

And there's more stuff to be found:
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=fgms+feed
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=traffic+feed
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby noether » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:58 pm

Hooray wrote in Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:32 pm:
I was looking for a protocol description or just a tutorial of how to do that. I guess the wiki is not clear enough.

Like I said, please do a search (forum, wiki, mailing list).
Once you have done that, you'll find a plethora of related resources - such as for example: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Multiplayer_protocol

I have myself written rather detailed responses on exactly this topic a number of times.
Most of which can be found easily using keywords like "AI", "MULTIPLAYER", "FGMS", "FEED", "TRAFFIC" etc.

For example, you could do a search for XDR (which is only used in the MP component): http://flightgear.org/forums/search.php ... ywords=xdr

And there's more stuff to be found:
http://flightgear.org/forums/search.php ... =fgms+feed
http://flightgear.org/forums/search.php ... affic+feed

Thank you very much for your useful links. Trust me, I have been searching, but maybe without the proper keywords/topics :P
noether

Postby Hooray » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:42 pm

Honestly, it doesn't get any more obvious than searching for "multiplayer protocol", does it? :lol:

Also, when you go to the wiki and start typing your term into the search box (upper right hand corner), it will even autocomplete the text you are typing and show suggestions for searches.

These are probably the most relevant responses:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=13510&hilit=xdr#p136501
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=13510&hilit=xdr#p136584
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=13510&hilit=xdr#p136598
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=13510&hilit=xdr#p136642

Most of these pointers could (and should) probably be directly added to the wiki, as a reference for people who are doing similar things.
Last edited by Hooray on Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Return to Interfacing