Board index FlightGear Support Compiling

strange colours and flashing objects when compiling from git

Building FlightGear from source, and in the need for help?

strange colours and flashing objects when compiling from git

Postby mucm » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:04 pm

Hey folks,

I'm getting colours that look like a "normal-map" colour scheme without the colours being used in the next step of rendering. This doesn't happen if I'm looking mostly frontwards, but as I look more towards the rear, the realistic looking colours fade to (what I call) normal-map, sort of photo-negative, colours.

I'm also getting occasional frames where some parts of objects (I think some fraction of all polygons) disappear (maybe several times per second). This is most noticeable with the dashboard, but the airport hangar in the distance disappears too.

Are these due to known mistakes I might have made when compiling? or wrong versions of dependencies?

First some background on my previous tries at compiling is here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15262#p150025

GNU/Linux Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit, video card is on-board (from lspci: VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82Q963/Q965 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02))

I'm no longer trying to use the Ubuntu "checkinstall" command to install the results of my compilings in a system-wide way and keep track of where the files are. I've used the package manager to UN-install those previous attempts, as well as UN-installing libplib1, libplib-dev, libopenscenegraph65, libopenscenegraph-dev, and of course simgear2.0.0, simgear-dev, and flightgear* and fgfs*. I've also checked with a "find" command that there are no leftovers on the whole system.

I'm getting the source for the different packages and dependencies into ~/flightsim (i.e. ~/flightsim/plib, ~/flightsim/OpenSceneGraph, ~/flightsim/simgear, ~/flightsim/flightgear and I'm using prefix=~/flightgear (not ~/flightsim/flightgear) with all of them.

I notice in my command line output (below) it mentions "FRAGMENT glCompileShader "" FAILED", which from googling seems related to OpenSceneGraph. I've gotten what seems to be the latest release (using "svn checkout http://www.openscenegraph.org/svn/osg/O ... raph-3.0.1 OpenSceneGraph"), but maybe I actually need a bleeding-edge version of that? or to actually backtrack to an older one (2.9.10 if this wiki page is considered up to date: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Building_Flightgear_-_Debian)?

I will retrace my steps and make detailed command-by-command notes for a follow-up post, but if anyone has pointers on what type of mistakes can cause either or both of the above symptoms, I'd appreciate hearing about them.

Code: Select all
mmuc@software2:~/flightgear/bin$ ./fgfs
KI266 dme indicator #0 initialized
loading scenario 'nimitz_demo'
ALSA lib pcm.c:2212:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2212:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2212:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:957:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports only playback stream
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1018:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started
Image "/home/mmuc/flightgear/lib/FlightGear/Textures/Water/waves-ver10-nm.dds"
uses compressed textures which cannot be supported on some systems.
Please decompress this texture for improved portability.
Image "/home/mmuc/flightgear/lib/FlightGear/Textures/Water/water_sine_nmap.dds"
Image "/home/mmuc/flightgear/lib/FlightGear/Textures/Water/sea_foam.dds"
Image "/home/mmuc/flightgear/lib/FlightGear/Textures/Water/perlin-noise-nm.dds"
creating 3D noise texture... DONE
Failed to load model: Texture file not found: 'Textures/UnitedAirlines'
   from:/home/mmuc/flightgear/lib/FlightGear/AI/Aircraft/A320/A320-fb-UnitedAirlines.xml
   from:/home/mmuc/flightgear/lib/FlightGear/AI/Aircraft/A320/A320-fb-UnitedAirlines.xml
   from:/home/mmuc/flightgear/lib/FlightGear/AI/Aircraft/757/757-UnitedAirlines.xml
Failed to load model: Texture file not found: 'Textures/UnitedAlirlines'
   from:/home/mmuc/flightgear/lib/FlightGear/AI/Aircraft/Embraer-Legacy/Embraer-Legacy-UnitedAirlines.xml
   from:/home/mmuc/flightgear/lib/FlightGear/AI/Aircraft/757/757-UnitedAirlines.xml
   from:/home/mmuc/flightgear/lib/FlightGear/AI/Aircraft/Embraer-Legacy/Embraer-Legacy-UnitedAirlines.xml
Initializing Nasal Electrical System
FRAGMENT glCompileShader "" FAILED
FRAGMENT Shader "" infolog:
0:9(12): warning: extension `GL_ATI_shader_texture_lod' unsupported in fragment shader
0:10(12): warning: extension `GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod' unsupported in fragment shader
0:0(0): error: no matching function for call to `texture2DLod(sampler2D, vec2, float)'
0:63(41): error: type mismatch
0:0(0): error: no matching function for call to `texture2DLod(sampler2D, vec2, float)'
0:113(47): error: type mismatch
0:114(47): error: type mismatch

glLinkProgram "" FAILED
Program "" infolog:
linking with uncompiled shader
power up
   from:/home/mmuc/flightgear/lib/FlightGear/AI/Aircraft/777/777-UnitedAirlines.xml
   from:/home/mmuc/flightgear/lib/FlightGear/AI/Aircraft/747-400/747-400-UnitedAirlines.xml
   from:/home/mmuc/flightgear/lib/FlightGear/AI/Aircraft/777/777-UnitedAirlines.xml
   from:/home/mmuc/flightgear/lib/FlightGear/AI/Aircraft/767/767-UnitedAirlines.xml
   from:/home/mmuc/flightgear/lib/FlightGear/AI/Aircraft/767/767-UnitedAirlines.xml
^C
Last edited by Gijs on Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix images
mucm

Re: strange colours and flashing objects when compiling from

Postby xquiet » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:26 pm

I'm experiencing the same problems. I'm using the package provided by Mageia 2 Beta 1 (latest source code release, the tarball available at http://ftp.linux.kiev.ua/pub/fgfs/Source/).
The same happens compiling the same sources on Mageia 1 (after the upgrade of openscenegraph to version 3.0.1 - the one available on Mageia 2).
If needed I can provide more details.
Regards,
xquiet

Re: strange colours and flashing objects when compiling from

Postby mucm » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:06 am

I'm not so sure now, if this is really git related, it is maybe just that the experimental shader defaults to being on in more recent versions.

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=15232&p=152051#p152051

Short answer is command line option: --prop:/sim/rendering/shader-experimental=false

If the experimental shader is supposed to be a bit more finished that this, then I guess I have a combination of maybe video card and/or X video driver, combined with my compiling from source methods. In that case, the command line option is just a work-around, not a fix.
mucm

Return to Compiling