Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

Saitek Pro Flight Yoke with Three-Lever Throttle (PZ44)

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

Postby praveen_nair » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:50 pm

Hello Flying Friends,

I am now ready to invest in a good yoke and pedals. I am looking to invest in the following yoke and rudder pedals. Would you please confirm if these are compatible and working with FlightGear? I would appreciate your feedback very much as accurate as possible. I dont want my sons start crying (3 and 4 years) if I get them so excited when the yoke & pedal receives at home and we spend hours toghether and gets upset if it dont work. If I dont receive any update from you friends, my only option will be to burn the candle alone by myself in the middle of the night when my sons are in deep sleep :)

I am looking to buys:
Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals (PZ35)

Appreciate your great help and advice.

With Best Regards,

Praveen Nair
praveen_nair

Re: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke with Three-Lever Throttle (PZ44)

Postby sim » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:11 pm

Hi Praveen, Don't be surprised if the Saitek equip does not work the minute you unpack it and plug in! Saitek reps ideally should test their stuff out on Flightgear before selling it and place nice little xml files in the Flightgear joysticks folder ready for your use.........I wish!
In practice I doubt any of the manufactures have the good sense to do that. Reality is you probably will have to do most of the work yourself including delving into xml files for both yoke and pedals and re-writing scripts to suit your own preferences.
Forum members will help if you ask. Not many of us have both yoke and pedals. Most have joystick with twist axis for operating rudder. Many just fly by keyboard and mouse.
Sounds like both your sons are lucky to have a Dad prepared to work so hard for them!
sim

Callsign: Fly4Fun
Version: 0.9.10 up

Postby Tuxklok » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:39 pm

Looking in 'fgdata/Input/Joysticks/Saitek', I see the following files that seem to be for the devices you mention. I have no way to confirm for sure though, or know how well they work out of the box.

• Pro-Flight-Quadrant.xml
  • Pro-Flight-Rudder-Pedals.xml
  • Pro-Flight-Yoke.xml
The Austria Scenery Project - more info
fg-scenery-tools - gitorious | videos
fgcomgui - Open source, cross platform, gui front end for fgcom. more info

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Callsign: Tuxklok / N1292P

Postby Mac_The_Freak » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:00 am

I use both Yoke and Pedals and they should work out of the box on Windows and Linux.
The Yoke comes with one Three-Lever Throttle Quadrant which works as expected but if you intend to add some additional Throttle Quadrants you will have to adjust the xml-files in order to control multiple engines separately.
Mac_The_Freak

Version: GIT

Postby Champion1 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:37 pm

Reality is you probably will have to do most of the work yourself including delving into xml files for both yoke and pedals and re-writing scripts to suit your own preferences.????

== http://www.solitaire-champ.com/ ==
Last edited by Champion1 on Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Champion1

Postby Ovazor » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:24 pm

I use Saitek Yoke, pedals and quadrant, and have not needed to edit any .xmls. The in-simulation joystick config tool was enough for my needs.
Flying the Dakota
Ovazor

Callsign: OH-OVA
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby sim » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:21 pm

The in-simulation joystick config tool was enough for my needs

Whatever suits you best Ovazor. Rewritng xml files is my preference so I can fly straight away and do all sorts of things you simply can't do using the GUI joystick config.
Some will delight in how well refining your own joystick works.
Appreciate not everone has the time or patience to rewrite xml stuff of course. :wink:
sim

Callsign: Fly4Fun
Version: 0.9.10 up

Postby Ovazor » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:54 pm

My intention was to answer the intitial question that yes, the Saitek yoke and throttle works with FG.

I rather thing that answers along the lines of "you'll have to rewrite the .xml s and scripts" will only scare less IT-oriented people away.

I might add that I use Fedora Linux, I cannot vouch for other systems
Last edited by Gijs on Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please edit your post if you have more to add shortly after posting
Flying the Dakota
Ovazor

Callsign: OH-OVA
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby hamzaalloush » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:18 am

Off-topic:

Saitek yoke sucks out of the box, i removed the roll spring and centering pitch arm completely, that eleminated the detent and centering mechanism, then i used rubberbands between the shaft bearing posts and that made it better.

Still, the stock IO controller has a hardcoded software deadzone, people are replacing this controller to get full range of motion.

What a waste of my time, all this modification to make it close to what the CH Products yoke could feel.

OTOH, now i use pitch and roll axis without linearity (power=1) after this mod.
hamzaalloush

Return to Hardware