Board index Other Hangar talk

What defines a good RC simulator?

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

What defines a good RC simulator?

Postby jimjim » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:32 pm

Hi!

Since im not a RC pilot I would like to ask you what defines a good RC simulator? (both air and heli)
jimjim

Re: What defines a good RC simulator?

Postby curt » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:07 pm

Environments
Flight dynamics
3d models of the aircraft
Animations
Support for view tricks that help RC pilots fly better without seeing the world through their peripheral vision and work around the problem that a monitor has much less resolution/fidelity than most people's eyes.
Support for RC transmitters (flying with the real controls is as important for learning as just about anything else.)
curt
Administrator

Postby StuartC » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:08 pm

Ive flown models for years.
I have yet to find an RC sim that I can actually fly on. They all just feel unnatural to me.
StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Postby curt » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:35 pm

Stuart, I wouldn't disagree with you, but just to throw my personal opinion out there next to yours -- I actually see some good value in RC simulators for basic training and practice. I think (although I'm not really a heli-pilot) especially for helicopters -- the cost of crossing your thumbs the wrong way with an expensive heli can be $100's or maybe even $1000's -- and the sim can give you a lot of practice time before you go out and do it for real.

I always have trouble with lining up the landing or just getting completely out of position because you don't have the peripheral vision or sense of where you are at relative to the field when you see everything through a 20" display. That said, lining up a good landing in real life RC flying can take a couple tries too. :-)
curt
Administrator

Postby jimjim » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:18 pm

Thanks for the answers! Im investigating what I can use to develop a R/C simulator for a dome theatre, and open source is always good :).
Have you tryed any of those few R/C models for flightgear? How was it?
jimjim

Postby LesterBoffo » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:55 am

Instead of asking why don't you try out the Rascal 110? It's in the aircraft download page. The problem with using FG as an RC sim is that the "pilot's" position on the field is in the so called tower view. This can be a up to a mile away from some of the bigger airfield's spawning spots. I'm pretty sure that a knowledgable person could fix a closer tower point for a specific field if they knew what to change in the airport's specific scenery files. But I'm not privy to such information.

There are several freeware R/C sims out there right now, some of which have easily editable image and flight modelling , but are not "open source". Coming from FlightGear you may find them a bit claustrophobic because of their limited scenery space and (or) choices.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Return to Hangar talk