Board index FlightGear Development New features

Hotspots, Joysticks, VR Headsets, Touchpads ..

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Hotspots, Joysticks, VR Headsets, Touchpads ..

Postby polly » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:30 pm

Is it possible to have a callback 'tell' an item ( instrument, control, etc) to expose its 'clickable' bright yellow outline, a sort of item-specific Ctrl-C ? Is it possible for the Ctrl-C function to identify, when a specific highlighted area is (say ) double clicked, the underlying function within the model that the clickable would execute ?
Every time I've done a joystick configuration it's so tedious to delve into each separate model to find how the intended stick function must be coded to get the right result. How much easier would it be to have a configuration utility that would let me select a button/axis, identify via Ctrl-C what item to activate, then choose: Left-Click / Middle click / Double right click .. etc .. in other words associate the joystick action with a mouse-in-cockpit action rather than, say, fds.LNAV.mode.0" ( which would be nonsense for any other model although the associated action is common across many models ) .. I hope I get the idea across.
I just was reviewing CES 2012 ' s goodies, we'll soon be having to support many new inut devices !
polly

Re: Hotspots, Joysticks, VR Headsets, Touchpads ..

Postby Hooray » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:38 pm

good idea, I think that should be possible. But not without modifying the C++ source code, basically you could expose everything as properties, so that Nasal could be used for configuration purposes.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby polly » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:48 pm

Thanks.
Gosh, does that mean, when Ctrl-C is active that C++ does all the geometry and highlighting without calling back to the model ? .. which would suggest there's a specific syntax somewhere in the model's ( non C++ ) nasal / xml whatever that has already uniquely identified (to C++ code ) the set of all possible actions. How does C++ code tell the model .. "mouse click at X, Y " .. could I have xml joystick code do the same from my joystick configuration file somehow ?
polly

Postby Hooray » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:44 pm

Ah, okay - I think you are probably referring to the "pick animation", just do a forum/mailing list search to learn more:
http://www.mail-archive.com/search?q=pi ... eforge.net
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to New features