Board index FlightGear Development

Bounty: RAH-66 Comanche

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Bounty: RAH-66 Comanche

Postby sgofferj » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:15 pm

I decided to start a separate thread for the bounty away from the aircraft request thread to make it more visible.

Bounty/RAH-66 Comanche in the Flightgear Wiki

Use this thread to discuss details of the specific bounty. If you want to add up to the bounty, please contact the maintainer and edit the respective Wiki page.
FG 3.1 GIT / Opensuse 12.3 / Phenom II X4 / GForce GTX560
Stefan's little Flightgear corner | The Finnish Weather Center | Wolves in Finland

Working on: EFTP
COM: IAX2:home.gofferje.net/stefan (MO-FR 0700-2000 UTC, SA+SU 0900-2000 UTC)
sgofferj

Callsign: OH-SW
Version: 3.1 GIT

Re: Bounty: RAH-66 Comanche

Postby HHS » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:49 pm

As I do know FGFS somehow I do think that won't work like that...

What do you mean with "publicly available data"?
Is buying an engineering book containing usefull datas "publicly available"?

How do you will check that "The aircraft must have a unique and realistic flight dynamics model based on publicly available data. Data that is not available publicly can be replaced by educated guesses as long as those stay realistic" ??

Who are the "other contributors", who will decide if the result will be accepted and the bounty will be paid?

I hope you are aware of that making an helicopter with an unique and realistic flight dynamic, full 3d-cockpit etc. is a very long task.
It needed some years until we got all needed datas for the Bo105 to create a sophisticated and realistic fdm.
And for the Ec135 I'm waiting for an engineering book which contains some more usefull datas then I already have here on my plate waiting and already used on my system here.

Good helicopters need time, for bad ones there is a known french author waiting for you....
Up, up and away
HHS

Version: GIT

Postby sgofferj » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:43 pm

HHS wrote in Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:49 pm:What do you mean with "publicly available data"?
Is buying an engineering book containing usefull datas "publicly available"?

Publicly available data is data which can be accessed publicly, e.g. through the internet, books, magazines, etc., as opposed to "classified" data.

How do you will check that "The aircraft must have a unique and realistic flight dynamics model based on publicly available data. Data that is not available publicly can be replaced by educated guesses as long as those stay realistic" ??

I am surely not checking every bit of the FDM, besides other reasons, because I don't have any expertise in this area. If I would, I would start the project myself. But during the development process and especially during the 2 weeks "probation" there will surely be a lot of communication with the developer and where he/she gets/got the data will surely be part of this. Besides other reasons also, because I have (at least used to have) some contacts at Boeing Vertol which *might* be able to provide some material in a compressed form.

Who are the "other contributors", who will decide if the result will be accepted and the bounty will be paid?

Bounty contributors are people which contribute to the bounty (i.e. also put up some money for it). For this bounty there are no other contributors yet (I'm obviously yet the only one in the list), but I hope, there will be more people joining.
Please see also the bounty page.

I hope you are aware of that making an helicopter with an unique and realistic flight dynamic, full 3d-cockpit etc. is a very long task.
It needed some years until we got all needed datas for the Bo105 to create a sophisticated and realistic fdm.

I am. I do not expect that some developer creates an RAH-66 within 2 weeks for US$20 altogether. The idea is that first people add up to the bounty and then a developer starts working and it takes as long as it takes to fulfill the task.
Stefan's little Flightgear corner | The Finnish Weather Center | Wolves in Finland

sgofferj

Postby sgofferj » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:55 pm

I'm happy to announce that a developer has actually taken on the challenge and promised a first working example soon.
Now it's the time for the people who also would like to see a good Comanche to think if they'd like to add a few $ to the bounty :).

sgofferj

Postby sgofferj » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:27 am

A second developer who is well known for his excellent FG-Helos has emailed me and announced that he is also already working on an RAH-66 but outside of the bounty offer.

sgofferj

Postby pjedvaj » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:27 pm

I'm not sure is this the right place for bounty development progress. FDM rotors are still heavily based on OH-1, unfinished model is used for nasal tests:

Retired
pjedvaj

Postby sgofferj » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:48 pm

That's some nice progress for just a few days!
I guess, the 3D model is still the low-poly version?

sgofferj

Postby sgofferj » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:17 pm

Just to be fair - some pics from the other developer who would like to stay anonymous for now.

sgofferj

Postby longfly » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:31 pm

Did I get this right:
Two competing developers trying to create the best possible heli, and the best win the bounty. So at the end we have the some heli twice :|

Wouldn't it be better trying to find a way they can work on the same one? Maybe splitting it into FDM, model, cockpit, ... (but they you also need to split the bounty)

Only a thought
Best regards and great work so far, Longfly
longfly

Version: always new

Postby LesterBoffo » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:00 pm

I guess I'm not understanding what this 'bounty' is all about, seems to introduce a money incentive to developers of a basically open source and free simulator.

I'm doing my Lama because it pleases me to do so.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby mr_no » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:11 pm

OMG! It's the clash of the developers.
OK, then... This what I've created so far... It's WIP. :mrgreen: :P

NOTICE how the tail is twisted?
Mosquito-XE JT-5B-autogyro Extra-300s STOL-Ch701
mr_no

Postby sgofferj » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:33 pm

LesterBoffo wrote in Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:00 pm:I guess I'm not understanding what this 'bounty' is all about, seems to introduce a money incentive to developers of a basically open source and free simulator.

I'm doing my Lama because it pleases me to do so.

For the discussions about the bounty system, please go here. An explanation of the idea is in the corresponding Wiki article.

sgofferj

Postby sgofferj » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:37 pm

longfly wrote in Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:31 pm:Did I get this right:
Two competing developers trying to create the best possible heli, and the best win the bounty. So at the end we have the some heli twice :|

Wouldn't it be better trying to find a way they can work on the same one? Maybe splitting it into FDM, model, cockpit, ... (but they you also need to split the bounty)

Only a thought
Best regards and great work so far, Longfly

No, 2 developers are trying to create the best possible Comanche. One for fun and the challenge and the other for fun, the challenge and to support the bounty system. If they want to work independently, we can't force them to work together, can we now?

sgofferj

Postby pjedvaj » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:28 pm

First rule on forums: read before post... Money from the bounty will be donated to FlightGear (buying FG on DVD).

Final model progress:
Retired
pjedvaj

Postby mr_no » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:33 pm

I like this heli. Good work.
Nice looking, but a few things I can notice are:

1.THE TAIL IS TWISTED, rotor to the right, vertical stab. to left.
2.That thing on the rotor top is big and ugly. Use the smaller option like on the pic above, please.
3. The cockpit walls are too thin.
Mosquito-XE JT-5B-autogyro Extra-300s STOL-Ch701
mr_no

Next

Return to Development