Board index FlightGear Development New features

Request for Multi-Display feature  Topic is solved

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Request for Multi-Display feature

Postby wildfalcon » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:13 pm

Hi,

In not too distant a future would it be possible to see each of the 'View' windows in a separate display? For example I have 4 displays and would like them configured as follows:

Left Display: [View from left window] Middle 2 displays: [HUD view] [Map View] Right display:[View from right window - good for tracking runways]

Of course the followup to that would be to make those auto-customizable. Have one set at takeoff- one set at approach and one when cruising or tracking a VOR. All 4 displays would change simultaneously according to the status of the plane.
wildfalcon

IRC name: Wildfalcon
Version: 2

Re: Request for Multi-Display feature  

Postby Zan » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:23 pm

We already have support for multiple views, so at least the left-center-right thing could be done. I'm not sure of the map though, but I guess it is possible too (you can define on which screen the GUI is).

See for example http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:_Configure_camera_view_windows

Hopefuly this helps for the start :)
Zan

Postby wildfalcon » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:53 am

Thank you. That worked!
wildfalcon

Postby Hooray » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:43 am

Also, if you find anything missing/not working - please consider using the issue tracker to post bug reports or feature requests here: http://flightgear-bugs.googlecode.com/
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby georgep » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:28 am

Zan wrote in Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:23 pm:We already have support for multiple views, so at least the left-center-right thing could be done. I'm not sure of the map though, but I guess it is possible too (you can define on which screen the GUI is).

See for example http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:_Configure_camera_view_windows

Hello,

I have one more question. There is information available about how configure camera view windows. It would not be impossible to open and edit the XML-file even if not "knowing" XML.

How could someone know what are the FG:s current available/defined views in FG and what are theirs names to put in the configuration file (XML or whatever). Are the available views depending on the a/c model? In this case would it work to setup in FG all favorite windows and when one toggle to another a/c model FG shows all configurated windows (without krasching) possible some of them empty (blank) due to inexistent information in the a/c model. It is in this way it works?

Tkank you!

George
georgep

Postby Zan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:21 pm

georgep wrote in Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:28 am:How could someone know what are the FG:s current available/defined views in FG and what are theirs names to put in the configuration file (XML or whatever). Are the available views depending on the a/c model? In this case would it work to setup in FG all favorite windows and when one toggle to another a/c model FG shows all configurated windows (without krasching) possible some of them empty (blank) due to inexistent information in the a/c model. It is in this way it works?

Do you mean views like cockpit view, helicopter view, tower view etc?

If so, they are defined somewhere in the code I think, aircraft can define their own views and so on. But only one view can be active at a time. So no matter how many windows and cameras you define in preferences.xml, they all are relative to the current view in FG (i.e. cockpit, tower...). I think it is possible to define a "static" view, but most likely that is not of use, it is only used on some panels I think.

HTH, Zan
Zan

Postby georgep » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:28 pm

OK, due to the topic title, I supposed it would be possible to show "each of the 'View' windows in a separate display".

But if you mean only one "View" is possible to be displayed, what is the point with multi-display?

Probably I am still confused about the FG terms.
georgep

Postby Zan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:49 pm

georgep wrote in Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:28 pm:OK, due to the topic title, I supposed it would be possible to show "each of the 'View' windows in a separate display".

Well you can define different looking directions on different monitors/windows, like on monitor showing panels, one showing to the left, one to the right.

But if you mean only one "View" is possible to be displayed, what is the point with multi-display?

It is intended so that when sitting on the cockpit, you see scenery all around you if you have multiple monitors. But you cannot have one monitor/window showing cockpit view and one showing tower view for example. Not at the moment, but there are plans to support that...

Zan
Zan

Postby georgep » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:15 am

By the way, could you point out what are all available 'views' in FG? Are they dependent on the a/c model.

I guess 'view from cockpit' is the cockpit self (including displays and a/c controls) and the OTW (view Over The Window).
Tour view is anohter. Is there an external view of the current flying aircraft seen from outside (?). I suppose all that could be documented in the FG manual but I am confused where.
georgep

Postby sgofferj » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:34 pm

But as far as I understand, you can run multiple instances of FG with different views on the same machine as slaves i.e. they don't run the FDM and thus shouldn't eat too much CPU. Or run a slave instance on another machine. That makes the whole thing a bit more flexible.
FG 3.1 GIT / Opensuse 12.3 / Phenom II X4 / GForce GTX560
Stefan's little Flightgear corner | The Finnish Weather Center | Wolves in Finland

Working on: EFTP
COM: IAX2:home.gofferje.net/stefan (MO-FR 0700-2000 UTC, SA+SU 0900-2000 UTC)
sgofferj

Callsign: OH-SW
Version: 3.1 GIT

Postby wildfalcon » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:02 pm

How would you run multiple instances without running the FDM?
wildfalcon

Postby sgofferj » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:26 pm

FG 3.1 GIT / Opensuse 12.3 / Phenom II X4 / GForce GTX560
Stefan's little Flightgear corner | The Finnish Weather Center | Wolves in Finland

Working on: EFTP
COM: IAX2:home.gofferje.net/stefan (MO-FR 0700-2000 UTC, SA+SU 0900-2000 UTC)
sgofferj

Callsign: OH-SW
Version: 3.1 GIT

Postby Hooray » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:02 pm

wildfalcon wrote in Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:02 pm:How would you run multiple instances without running the FDM?

Please, also see:

Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to New features