Board index FlightGear Development New features

Flightgear iPhone app?

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Flightgear iPhone app?

Postby asdfasdf » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:24 am

Maybe someone already brought this up, but has anyone tried making FG working on the iphone? Its possible now with tools such as Xcode. I think it would be interesting to try FG with a touch screen and fly around with your fingers. Its just a stupid suggestion by me :P
asdfasdf

Re: Flightgear iPhone app?

Postby flameout » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:46 am

I know it was brought up a while ago.

I think the consensus was that it was possible, but not worth the effort. They are simply too limited compared to modern PCs, even low-powered ones.

Sometime in the future, however, I would say it's possible.

I hope to see this one day (although I don't have an iPhone or any other fancy phone.)
Also known as Johnathan Van Why.
flameout

Callsign: MSJF
Version: GIT

Postby hovkid » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:12 pm

You would imagine that this would be very limited, obviously due to Iphone specs,

But Xplane have an Iphone app

http://www.x-plane.com/index_mobile.html
Fav Airliner - MD81 - Fav Fighter - F4J76 - Fav Light Aircraft - DHC2
hovkid

Callsign: GB-TYER or AA-124

Postby Liam » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:46 pm

Im going to say its not worth the effort too, I mean theres alot which needs doing to the PC version so far ;), Although maybe after the release of 1.9.2 I might change my opinion on that, But currently the best planes on FG have very high specs and a big framerate, on the iPhone I would imagine only very few planes would be worth flying, and certainly not very good ones.
Liam

Callsign: Liam
Version: GIT

Postby martin » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:01 pm

Liam wrote:[...]
But currently the best planes on FG have very high specs and a big framerate, on the iPhone I would imagine only very few planes would be worth flying, and certainly not very good ones.

To my understanding the iPhone app doesn't render the aircraft fuselage at all, just a reduced HUD.
What's really funny about the iPhone app is the 2D panel mode, displaying something like a highly reduced set of aircraft instruments as an 'external' panel while being connected via wireless network to X-Plane running on a different machine.
To be honest, for this very purpose, I think it'll be much easier simply to connect another display to the respective PeeCee and display your instrument panel there. Nevertheless, the iPhone app is a funny gadget (and nothing more!) and the predominant 'value' of this app lies in making Austin Meyer a rich man,

Martin.
FlightGear Scenery Release Manager
martin

Postby asdfasdf » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:53 am

Yeah, I understand what you guys are saying. I was thinking for it to be more like a game, but I guess the effort would be better spent improving the pc version of Flightgear
asdfasdf

Postby teh warlock » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:00 pm

i have the xplane ipod touch app and i must say.... it blows if we could make a fg app for the iphone/ipod touch with better graphics than that sh**y little x-plane app and make it free do u know how much publicity fg would get???? :!: :!: :!: :!: holy mother of god! :!: :!: :P :P :P :P
remember this: when in doubt ask skyop.
teh warlock

IRC name: tehwarlock
Version: git

Postby hovkid » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:37 pm

Thats a good point about the publicity that an app would give FG, however about the graphics, I don't know what specs an iPhone has butit is obviously very limited, so maybe the graphics can't be improved, or any better than the XPlane app.

Hovkid
Fav Airliner - MD81 - Fav Fighter - F4J76 - Fav Light Aircraft - DHC2
hovkid

Callsign: GB-TYER or AA-124

Postby teh warlock » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:07 pm

Liam wrote:Im going to say its not worth the effort too, I mean theres alot which needs doing to the PC version so far ;), Although maybe after the release of 1.9.2 I might change my opinion on that, But currently the best planes on FG have very high specs and a big framerate, on the iPhone I would imagine only very few planes would be worth flying, and certainly not very good ones.

i just was browsing through this and decided to post something again.... if you can delete the extra goodies such as HIGH detailed models, HIGH detailed textures and things like that it would cut those high specs down i am trying to make an iphone app so im not sure if ill pursue this as my friend is a developer for the iphone and from his personal experience porting 3d into iphone and ipod touch and or ipad is a helluva job and requires ALOT of patience
remember this: when in doubt ask skyop.
teh warlock

IRC name: tehwarlock
Version: git

Postby Runninground » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:13 pm

How about, instead of making an app which is basically FG on an ipod, but have an app that use can use as a joy stick for people who don't have a joy stick. I think XPlane have one, and you tilt the iphone and it controls the plane on the computer. I have no programming knowledge, but surely it would just involve sending the information from the tilt sensors in the iphone/ipod over wifi to the computer, which uses it to control the plane? I'm sure many people would download it if they have FG but no joystick, because it would be cheaper, and if people download the app then it would make them have to download it on the computer too?
Runninground

Postby Gijs » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Runninground » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:37 pm

Wow thats good. Just i don't have an android phone. :(
Runninground

Postby mike4lin » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:59 pm

I have X-Plane running on my HTC Desire HD, but hey it's so dull I didn't fire it up more than 2-3 times.
mike4lin

Return to New features