Board index FlightGear Support Installation Mac

Flightgear not working on Mac OS Lion

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Mac.

Re: Flightgear not working on Mac OS Lion

Postby tat » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:52 pm

HanselVB wrote in Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:47 am:First of all, good news, it works!!! :D :D :D
And secondly, ssjiwa, I think you didn't do it right:
ssjiwa wrote in Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:06 am:Extracted Flightgear. Deleted RubyCocoa Folder within frameworks. Inserted extracted folder GUIUpdater into contents folder. Started Flightgear. Nothing happens. :!:

Am I doing something wrong?

can you please provide step by step on where and how to insert GUIUpdater folder?

Regards.

It looks like you didn't put every file inside the GUIUpdater folder into it's rightful place.
Simply placing the GUIUpdater folder into the contents folder won't work.

By the way Tat, the design of the buttons on the main menu when FlightGear starts up have changed a little because of OS X Lion. There's not much difference but doesn't look bad :wink:

Thanks for the report. I really appreciate it!

The contents, at least I assume it, means the files and folders "inside" the GUIUpdater. There are Info.plist and Resources inside GUIUpdater folder, so copying these two into FlightGear.app/Contents folder will get the job done.
My explanation was very unclear and that confused ssjiwa. I should have written it in a clearer way.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that it works!

About the button, I'll take a look at it after I update my Mac OS.
I don't have much time updating it right now.
But I'll catch up soon!

Anyway, thanks again for all the reports, email, and helps on this.

Tat
Tat Nishioka
FlightGear Mac OS X Project
http://macflightgear.sourceforge.net
tat

Callsign: tat

Postby ssjiwa » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:48 pm

HanselVB wrote in Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:47 am:First of all, good news, it works!!! :D :D :D
And secondly, ssjiwa, I think you didn't do it right:
ssjiwa wrote in Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:06 am:Extracted Flightgear. Deleted RubyCocoa Folder within frameworks. Inserted extracted folder GUIUpdater into contents folder. Started Flightgear. Nothing happens. :!:

Am I doing something wrong?

can you please provide step by step on where and how to insert GUIUpdater folder?

Regards.

It looks like you didn't put every file inside the GUIUpdater folder into it's rightful place.
Simply placing the GUIUpdater folder into the contents folder won't work.

By the way Tat, the design of the buttons on the main menu when FlightGear starts up have changed a little because of OS X Lion. There's not much difference but doesn't look bad :wink:

Can you please help and tell me where I put the individual contents of GUIUpdate - which folders?
ssjiwa

Postby ssjiwa » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:56 pm

Thank you very much for providing a solution. The patch now works after I put the contents into the right directory.

:D
ssjiwa

Postby enhering » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:05 pm

Thanks, Tat! The update worked! Please tell me if I can help in development in some way. I would be glad to.
enhering

Postby Arths » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:36 pm

Hey guys :D

I just switched from Windows (FS 2004) to Mac OS X and I would like to use your great simulator.

Unfortunately I installed the provided patch but when I click on Start Flight on the GUI Launcher, nothing happens.

I mean really nothing, the GUI stays open and there is no crash message at all. Any help ? :?

Arths

Postby tat » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:38 pm

OK guys, I released a new package that solves this issue.
Go to the page below and get 2.0.0-r288 for Lion.
http://macflightgear.sourceforge.net/home/downloads/

Tat
Tat Nishioka
tat

Postby Arths » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:01 pm

tat wrote in Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:38 pm:OK guys, I released a new package that solves this issue.
Go to the page below and get 2.0.0-r288 for Lion.
http://macflightgear.sourceforge.net/home/downloads/

Tat

Fixed my issue, thanks you're awesome :D
Arths

Postby Mcayon » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:55 pm

Before Lion came, I had the GIT-snapshot... and that didn't work after I got Lion... so I got the "LionOnly"-version... and it's basically downgraded now because it was just Flightgear 2.0.0... will there be a GIT-snapshot for Lion anytime soon?

P.S. Sorry if I confused you a bit...
Mcayon

Callsign: SE-SJE
Version: GIT

Postby VicMar » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:22 pm

Mcayon wrote in Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:55 pm:Before Lion came, I had the GIT-snapshot... and that didn't work after I got Lion... so I got the "LionOnly"-version... and it's basically downgraded now because it was just Flightgear 2.0.0... will there be a GIT-snapshot for Lion anytime soon?
No. Its not just version 2. Its 2.0.0-r288 for Lion.

Tat has done this as a one off to help you Lion users.

I think you are being a bit ungracious asking for more whilst he is working on the Mac version of the new release (2.4.0).

I think a thank you would be more appropriate.

Slightly annoyed.
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Mcayon » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:37 pm

Oh... I'm very sorry! I really didn't mean to be ungracious... :oops: Won't happen again. Excuse me... :oops:
Mcayon

Callsign: SE-SJE
Version: GIT

Postby VicMar » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:56 pm

Hi Mcayon,

I'm sorry too, for being quick to jump on you, but it wrankles a bit when those who do a heck of a lot of work, especially for us Mac users, don't get the thanks they deserve.

Tat is our main man, followed pretty closely by Gral. If you get the chance, volunteer to help them with their development. That way it becomes obvious what they do for us.

Cheers,
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby someguy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:37 am

VicMar wrote in Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:56 pm:If you get the chance, volunteer to help them with their development. That way it becomes obvious what they do for us.

This is absolutely true. Plus, by offering constructive feedback--both the bad and the good--in addition to paying back the developers and putting your own stamp on the release, you'll be paying forward the next generation of Mac FG users. It's a good feeling.

All you need to do is say what works and what doesn't, providing as much detail about failures as you can, preferably console messages and step-by-step instructions to reproduce them. As far as I can tell, Tat and the other developers are in it for the warm fuzzies, so it's hard to say thanks too often.

Thanks, Tat! :)
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby tat » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:50 am

H guys,

Thanks for your words. I'm very encouraged.
Now 2.4.0 is released and it works with Leopards and Lion.
I really want to thank all suggestions and complaints since these requirements greatly helped me improve the quality and compatibility of FG-Mac.

As Vic and someguy said, contributions to FG is very welcome and helpful.
From developer's viewpoint, sharing with all of us what it works and what it doesn't is a great contribution.
I've fixed many bugs and weird behaviors by many helps from users like you guys.

I also want to thank Gral on his work. I like his launcher since it seems cross-platform and it has fancy airport viewer. That's neat!! Maybe I should talk with him how to improve both usability and functionability of the launcher.

Anyway, I really appreciate your reports.

Best regards,

Tat
Tat Nishioka
tat

Previous

Return to Mac