Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

What would enabling this option do...?

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

What would enabling this option do...?

Postby Vinura » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:46 am

I don't know much about OpenGL but I have read several posts regarding it and I was going through Catalyst Control Center when I say this;

What would enabling it do? Would enabling it make the urban effect work properly?

Thanks for any answers.

Cheers,
Vinura
Vinura

Version: GIT

Re: What would enabling this option do...?

Postby i4dnf » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:07 pm

That option helps with VSync (The option that reduces horisontal tearing when the card has to send a new frame to the monitor and it has not finished drawing it). With triple buffering VSync can happen at any frequency, thus improving framerates. Without triple buffering, VSync will progresively half the framerate with respect to the desired refresh rate (i.e 30, 15, 7 fps for a 60hz refresh rate), in order to keep frames in sync, basicaly keeping the same image for 2 cycles (or 4, or 8 ), until the GPU catches up.
So it's generaly a good idea to keep it on, if you have VSync on.
Same thing happens if the GPU renders the frames faster than the monitor displays it, thus frames above 60 will get lost.
Last edited by i4dnf on Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i4dnf
Retired

Callsign: YR-I4D

Postby Vinura » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:28 pm

So I should enable that option?

Also, what is VSync?

Is it built in to FlightGear or built-in to my computer or something?
Vinura

Postby i4dnf » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:40 pm

VSync is short for Vertical Sync. It's also an option you can enable somewhere in your video card settings. In short it makes sure the monitor doesn't display parts from different frames at the same time, like the upper half from a new frame and the lower half from the old one. This is not an issue for static images, but as soon as you start moving things in the image it might become visible.
More technical info here.
(it comes from the CRT era, but is still valable today)
i4dnf
Retired

Callsign: YR-I4D

Return to Graphics