Board index FlightGear Support

Installation - Initial startup help... (On FreeBSD)

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Installation - Initial startup help... (On FreeBSD)

Postby strben » Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

I have installed FlightGear via FreeBSD Ports System (Compiled). but cannot get it to successfully start.

A graphic with a picture of a plane appears for a short time. In the xterm (konsole) window I get the error listed below. I am running under KDE.

When I first ran FGFS there was (and continues to be...) apparently no initialization of my home directory. No directory created called "~/.fgfs". I created this directory manually and touched a file called autosave.xml. The file is of course empty.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Code: Select all
OPERATING SYSTEM:
%uname -a
FreeBSD wstation4 6.1-RELEASE-p11 FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p11 #3: Wed Dec 20 18:51:13 PST 2006     root@PCBSD.localhost:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PCBSDv1.3  i386
%

FLIGHTGEAR RELATED SOFTWARE INSTALLED:
%pkg_info | grep flight
FlightGear-0.9.10   The FlightGear flight simulator
flightgear-aircrafts-20060812 Additional aircrafts for the FlightGear flight simulator
%

ERROR I RECEIVE AT STARTUP:
%fgfs
Error reading properties:
no element found
 at /home/strben/.fgfs/autosave.xml,
line 1, column 0
 (reported by SimGear XML Parser)
Assertion failed: (a != NULL), function __indirect_glTexCoordPointer, file indir         ect_vertex_array.c, line 1359.
Abort
%

Ben (Newbe)
Thanks in advance for your support...
strben

Postby Harald » Wed May 30, 2007 7:36 am

run glxinfo, look the line that says direct rendering
glxinfo | grep direct

check your config, you don't have direct rendering enabled (update your video drivers)

HJ.
Harald

Version: Git

Postby strben » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:35 pm

Code: Select all
%glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: No
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
%

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I will see about correcting this.

Ben

( Status: http://forums.pcbsd.org/viewtopic.php?p=56194 )
Thanks in advance for your support...
strben

Return to Support