Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

eurofighter typhoon

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: eurofighter typhoon

Postby Algernon » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:17 pm

Flying today, and I don't have HDG or ALT hold functions on the AP... but TRK and TFR work fine... weird...
Algernon
FGUK - A FlightGear community in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland
Developer: Eurofighter EF2000 - English Electric Lightning - Handley Page Victor
Algernon

Callsign: G-ALGY
Version: 2019.1.1

Postby StuartC » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:33 pm

Dont you watch the news!?
They have run out of spares for the Typhoon. Obviously part of the autopilot broke and the ground crew couldnt fix it yet............
StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Postby Algernon » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:00 pm

Yes, and apparently only 8 out of forty-something RAF pilots are cleared to fly it on ground attack roles - if I was one of 'em, I think I'd know! ;) Still, at least we can make some more spares - unlike your fantasy TSR2 project, Uncle Sam didn't force us to destroy the tooling and burn the prototypes!! ;)

Incidentally, that's a poorly written news story, at least on BBCNews.com - it claims the Typhoon is built by BAE at Warton, whereas in fact only certain bits are manufactured there, and the RAF ones are assembled there. Anybody would think we'd done it all ourselves (like in the good old days) instead of collaborating with the other partner nations. The BBC has really gone downhill since I stopped working for them.

Actually, I think I've traced the fault - it's electrical, surprise surprise...

EDIT: Yes, it's fixed, it's an electrical problem. Don't know how it developed, but if anyone else is experiencing the same thing (HDG, ALT and Pitch Hold modes inoperative), the simple solution is to add this line to the -set.xml (it's typhoon-2-set.xml for the snapshot, which you'll remember is the only one the AP/FCS will work with):
Code: Select all
<systems>
  <electrical>
    <outputs>
      <FCS type="double">220</FCS>
    </outputs>
  </electrical>
</systems>

I'm planning to rebuild the electrical system in Nasal soon, but I'm making the AP/FCS non-voltage-dependent for now, and this will be reflected in my next update.
Algernon
Developer: Eurofighter EF2000 - English Electric Lightning - Handley Page Victor
Algernon

Postby almursi » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:37 pm

Algernon wrote in Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:59 am:... and TACAN - there is no NAV radio capability for ILS like you'd find in an airliner: effectively, it does not use civilian solutions. Also, it has ACTive and StandBY TACAN settings, which default FG Radio dialog does not have, and the radio comms is totally different. I therefore suggest a dedicated Typhoon Comms dialog, like the dedicated AP, with only realistic options...

AFAIK, TACAN is the same that a VOR or ILS, only change name reference (VOR by frecuency, TACAN by code), but in a lot of charts you have both for every VOR (i.e. TSJ and VSJ are the same, 113.0 or 77X at LELC). And, on the other hand, we not need be identical to the original :) in all the little details (Edited: I think it should always be something in between, from the real model and what we can do easily in FG). Regards.
almursi

Callsign: EC-ALM
Version: Git

Postby Algernon » Tue May 03, 2011 11:17 am

Just a little update - I have tried an experiment, transplanting Buckaroo's new (Feb 2011) electrical system into the Typhoon and am now converting some of the systems across to take power from it, with a view to eventually building in start-up capability (start the aircraft from cold). So far I've managed to get enough info from the avionics flight manual to realistically model which systems take power from the battery, and which require 110/200V across the primary bus to operate. Eventually, there will come a time where if you run out of fuel at 36,000 and can't run the engines or APU, you will lose all surface control and will have to part company with the aircraft!! :)

Whilst I agree that we shouldn't spend excessive time on trying to model something realistically if FG doesn't really support it, I am something of a stickler for realism and I get a real buzz out of making our aircraft work like the real one! I am especially pleased with the work I'm doing on the radio, although unfortunately the HUP in the cockpit (where the fuel and throttle displays are) will need to be slightly sorted out before I can do much more - the curse of SketchUp seems to be at work on that bit of the cockpit...
Algernon
Algernon

Postby xiii » Tue May 03, 2011 5:54 pm

Algernon wrote in Tue May 03, 2011 11:17 am:Whilst I agree that we shouldn't spend excessive time on trying to model something realistically if FG doesn't really support it

The main problem isn't that FG doesn't support this or this (if not, it will soon or latter), actually, the problem is that if you dive into high realism, then you won't have anymore time to check/enjoy other's work ;-)
But, anyway, wtf, when you like modeling systems, or crazy details, your are into that trouble, period... and welcome on board.

Alexis
If the engines are Pratt and Whitney, the seats best be Martin Baker
xiii

Postby Algernon » Wed May 04, 2011 11:57 am

You speak the truth, sir! ;) Yes, I must admit that I do get immersed in this one aircraft and very rarely fly/work on any others, but that's the way I am - and also, I'm fascinated by finding out just what FG is capable of modelling, as I keep finding nice ways of getting round problems which is extremely satisfying, and of course one has to constantly make sure you're not overburdening the sim too much and using up CPU cycles, which is challenging but very good for my scripting (which needs work!). It's pretty addictive!
Algernon
Algernon

Postby dacer » Mon May 16, 2011 8:57 am

Hi, I'm new using Typhoon model, and really there are a long time ago I don't "play" with flightgear simulator.

I think there is a lot of options I don't know. For example I don't know there is a radar I can use, and with CTRL+C I see a lot of buttons that I don't know how to use. It's there any update howto to of this aircraft?. Latest version of aircraft is in flightgear official page?.

Would be nice, if first post in this topic was update everytime with latest manual and latest files.

Thanks
dacer

Callsign: dacer
Version: GIT 2.7.0

Postby Algernon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:14 pm

Quick update on the Typhoon:

I've continued with some of the jobs I was working on, and started a new one - a realistic HUD with accurate layout and considerably more functionality than the overlaid FG native HUD it currently uses, actually built onto the HUD glass in the aircraft .ac model. As soon as I can get some help with texturing and stuff, I can make all the graphical stuff - at the moment, it's a hotchpotch between old and new HUDs, but it works pretty well thus far. The FCS can now handle thrust vectoring nozzles, ready for Tranche 3, although the command outputs are disabled by default as it's only half-working and not thoroughly tested. The aircraft is now aerial-refueling capable too - it's rather nice to tune into the tanker's TACAN beacon, hit the autopilot and let the aircraft fly you onto the tanker :)

What I'd really like to do is to get a functioning release of the aircraft to coincide with the release of V2.4 - this would be a special alpha edition, without -set.xml files for each FG version, which would only work on the latest FG. It would give fans of flying the aircraft the very latest release to be going on with (assuming they're running V2.4 or later), without looking so much like a work in progress. I reckon I could put this together pretty quickly - any objections?
Algernon
Algernon

Postby Algernon » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:54 am

I've tweaked the Typhoon a little more since the last update, some time ago - the avionics are still under work, but some major groundwork carried out by Aster - nice work too. The autopilot is still a bit uncertain on the pitch at high altitude or when heavy, still ironing that out. The most important thing to know is that it starts with its engines off - there is an autostart facility in the menu, under Typhoon (menus still need to be tidied a bit before a full release is made). If you don't start the APU and/or engines, the Flight Control System won't have power and will be offline, but you still have thrust (working on making this realistic as well) which can be misleading.

It's quite nice to start the engines with the canopy open (ctrl-d or cockpit button) - better sounds on the way.

Here it is. If anyone has the time and knowledge to do the GIT thing with it, I'd be very grateful.

Also, sorry I missed the previous request for some better documentation. The place to look is the FG wiki, where I'm gradually producing the Typhoon Flight Manual to explain using the navigational systems, avionics etc.
Algernon
Algernon

Postby DFaber » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:38 pm

Hi Algy,

great work, I really like it

Algernon wrote in Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:54 am: If anyone has the time and knowledge to do the GIT thing with it, I'd be very grateful.

I'm going to commit it, once I have sorted out some git issues and know which repository to push to. However, if someone beats me to it I won't complain.

Greetings
Detlef Faber
FlightGear Development:
http://flightgear-de.net

my 3D-Art:
https://www.sol2500.net
DFaber

Version: GIT

Postby Algernon » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:03 am

Thank you :) I have got a bit out of sync with the GIT version, and I wonder whether there is a way to create a new branch, keeping the current GIT one intact, in case I have missed or messed up anything in my chain of work. I'm fairly confident that my version is a decent platform to work from for a V2.4+ aircraft, but I think almursi would like to keep his work on V1 and 2 compatible aircraft intact. Aster was also contributing to the avionics and some other systems, and I am slowly integrating the stuff he gave me into my version, so that should all get in too.

I ended up staying up all night at the weekend and building the HSI page for the MFDs, really enjoyed that and am looking forward to showing it and getting some feedback :)
Algernon
Algernon

Postby dacer » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:56 am

A long time with no fly, and now come back and installed 1.5 version on a linux 2.4 FGFS.

A lot of new options, but I'm unable to change any frecuencies, like ILS. How must I do it?

Thanks, for replies, and thanks for your work

Edited:
seem some problems with flaps or FCS. Aircraft stall at 240kts !!!
dacer

Callsign: dacer
Version: GIT 2.7.0

Postby stuart » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:35 pm

Hi Guys,

I've just spotted a Nasal bug when there's a Typhoon in MP. I get the following error with the latest git:
Nasal parse error: parse error in /home/stuart/FlightGear/data/AI/Aircraft/eurofighter/Models/typhoon-ai.ac, line 7

The underlying problem is that the AI mode typhone-ai.xml (yes - there's a bug in the way we're reporting the Nasal error) contains the following <load> code:
    <load>
         var self = cmdarg();
         var pylon3L_in = self.getNode("sim/multiplay/generic/string[0]", 1);
         var pylon3L_out =
            var e = pylon3L_in.getValue();
            if (e != nil)
               emblem_out.setValue("sim/weight[2]/selected" ~ e ~ );

var livery_update = aircraft.livery_update.new("Aircraft/eurofighter/Models/Liveries", 10);
</load>

I think this has probably either got corrupted or is from a previous version, and everything except for the last line should be removed.

If one of the authors can confirm, I'll make the relevant commit.

Thanks,

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby DFaber » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:00 am

Hi Stuart,

stuart wrote in Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:35 pm:I think this has probably either got corrupted or is from a previous version, and everything except for the last line should be removed.

If one of the authors can confirm, I'll make the relevant commit.

This is a test code that accidentally slipped through . I'll remove it today. Thanks for reporting!

Greetings
Detlef Faber
FlightGear Development:
http://flightgear-de.net

my 3D-Art:
https://www.sol2500.net
DFaber

Version: GIT

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft