Board index FlightGear Support Installation Mac

Installing and using GIT and FlightGear on Mac OS 10.5.8

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Mac.

Installing and using GIT and FlightGear on Mac OS 10.5.8

Postby Mcayon » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:40 pm

Hey, It's been a long time since I was here... mainly cause I've been very busy and I havn't had time to play FlightGear :(

Anyway; I want to use GIT and FG on my Mac OS 10.5.8... and right now I'm only interested in flying the planes, not devolping them... and I havn't found the answers on my current questions:

1. Do I only need GIT and FG if I just want to fly the planes?
2. I usually don't code when I'm using my computer, so I'm not good at it... do I have to be that when installing and using GIT & FG?
3. When I've installed GIT & FG and want to install new planes and scenery, can I do it the same way as when I only had FG?

I think that's the only questions I have right now... FYI, I HAVE read the wiki and I HAVE looked around the forum.

Thank You
Mcayon

Callsign: SE-SJE
Version: GIT

Re: Installing and using GIT and FlightGear on Mac OS 10.5.8

Postby VicMar » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:39 am

Hi Mcayon,
There is a snapshot version of GIT for Macs on the FG for Mac download page:
http://macflightgear.sourceforge.net/home/

Do I only need GIT and FG if I just want to fly the planes?
Personally, I have 3 versions of FG and use them all frequently. There is no reason why you can't put another version in a place like a folder on your desktop. This would leave your current version in your Applications folder, and both will be usable.
usually don't code when I'm using my computer, so I'm not good at it... do I have to be that when installing and using GIT & FG?

The download is self installing, so you don't need to do any coding, just follow the procedure.
When I've installed GIT & FG and want to install new planes and scenery, can I do it the same way as when I only had FG?
Most of the aircraft on the main download page will fly with the Git version. There is a way to get the latest development versions, but you have to remember the snapshot version was made by Tat back in August 2010, so some of the more up to date developments on aircraft will not be usable with the snapshot.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Mcayon » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:03 pm

Thank You! It works great!

So, if I want the more up to date version of FG and GIT later on, it's more advanced to install?
Mcayon

Postby VicMar » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:15 pm

Yes. There is quite a procedure to go through. You have to know how to get and process the various parts of the overall system. I think Gral is in the process of writing some instructions on how it is done, though currently I think that is limited to OS 10.6.

Keep a look out on the forums in the installations section. The alternative is to wait for the next stable release. It is expected fairly soon and will be announced all over the forum.

Cheers,
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby gral » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:49 pm

VicMar wrote in Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:15 pm:Yes. There is quite a procedure to go through. You have to know how to get and process the various parts of the overall system.

See first post in this forum, link to the wiki how-to. It is probably something for advanced users, but this is what you get when you start to work with development snapshots. Maybe the tutorial sounds complicated first, but it makes also fun to see your lazy double click mac starts really working :wink:

VicMar wrote in Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:15 pm:I think Gral is in the process of writing some instructions on how it is done, though currently I think that is limited to OS 10.6.

For installing FGX with pre-built FlightGear 2.2.0 (yes, restricted to OSX 10.6 for the next days, but 10.5.8 version is on the way) you don’t need much instructions, you copy the program after download to your Applications folder and take the next flight, that’s it, almost :wink:

Cheers, gral
gral

Callsign: HB-GRAL

Postby Mcayon » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:26 am

Great news, gral! I'm looking forward to it :)

Cheers
Mc
Mcayon

Return to Mac