Board index FlightGear Support Installation Mac

FlightGear crash on mac

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Mac.

Re: FlightGear crash on mac

Postby VicMar » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:49 pm

OK, I have looked at your reports and can honestly say I am staggered. I have never seen anything like them.

By now you will have realised I am not the greatest expert around. However, there are plenty of very knowledgeable Mac folks here, but often not at the weekends, so don't give up yet.

The sort of thing I can help with is when you are making obvious mistakes. I just try to keep queries like yours ticking over till the experts are about.

If I am getting anything from your reports, it is that you are trying to get FG to run from the command line. Is that correct?

If yes, is there a reason you are not using the Mac Launcher?

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby catsfive » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:15 pm

Hi there, no, I'm using the Mac launcher. I don't know why the reports flabbergast you... they make perfect sense to me! :lol: Teasing, of course.

I was just looking for a little divertissement on a Saturday night with no plans. This looks like a pretty complicated program. I'm sure I could get it to work by turning off the Bluetooth. But can I even "fly around" with just a keyboard and a mouse? I really just wanted to buzz a few buildings or trees. So no big deal, and thank you so much for your kind help.

C5
catsfive

Postby VicMar » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:39 am

Without the help of an expert, I would suggest you throw away the FG version you already have, then download a fresh one from the Mac OSX page: http://macflightgear.sourceforge.net/home/downloads/

I suggest this because as far as I know, the Mac downloads have always worked straight from the box (figuratively speaking).

It is always possible that you didn't get a completely clean download. It can take a while, and it is tempting to continue using your computer before it is finished (always possible to mess things up), but I have always done any new version download overnight, so I can leave my Mac to get on with it.

That way the installation is so straightforward that PC users get jealous :wink: Personally, I don't download anything else until I have made sure it works. I also don't download any scenery, but use the tick box on the front page of the launcher which allows the scenery to be loaded on the fly. This is only a chore when you want to launch from an airport where you have not yet flown close enough to pick up the scenery. In that case when you launch you will find you are sitting on top of water. You just have to wait for a minute, then cease FG and start again - this time the scenery should be there (maybe you have to do this twice sometimes).

If you have already reached the stage where you are not too fussed if it won't work, a fresh download is worth a try. As you can see, I have not given up on you yet. :)

Cheers,
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby tat » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:05 pm

catsfive wrote in Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:48 am:Hi, I am a new "user" but I'm not sure for how long. I can confirm that FG 2.0 will not start (Macbook i7 8GB RAM) with Bluetooth enabled. Is there some sort of fix available?

Did you try this?
http://macflightgear.sourceforge.net/a- ... -available

Tat
Tat Nishioka
FlightGear Mac OS X Project
http://macflightgear.sourceforge.net
tat

Callsign: tat

Postby catsfive » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:55 pm

Oh, thank you, I will!

Thanks to the both of you for replying.