Board index FlightGear Support Installation Mac

Mac Optimization Questions  Topic is solved

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Mac.

Mac Optimization Questions

Postby Kaptain Krunch » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:12 pm

Been wanting to ask this for a while. A lot of you seem to be running FG on Macs and doing just fine, and mine has been buggy for a long time. At first, I just sort of wrote it off as a quirk of the program or something, but as I get more involved in using FG, the problems are getting annoying, and maybe it's time to be a little more proactive.
I am running FG 2.0.
My system is:
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB.
Video:
Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 128 MB
Running OSX 10.6.6

I tend to get good frame rates with most aircraft. Most of the time, anyway, even with detailed scenery. MP will kill the frame rate sometimes, but that is to be expected in some circumstances. The program will freeze and crash with frustrating regularilty, though. Also the graphics will go screwy for no reason fairly often, often fixing itself quickly, but sometimes not- wherein the model will vanish and be replaced/ partially replaced by strange geometric shapes, instrument textures will be mapped onto the terrain, lots of flickering, and other sorts of things. Sometimes flipping through views will help fix this, sometimes not. Sometimes it will freeze and crash with little or no graphical strangeness, though. I experienced the same sorts of issues before I installed 2.0, although 2.0 DOES seem to run better overall.
Long story short, my compatriots- if there are any tips any of you more clued-in FG Mac users could provide to tweak performance or clean up the manner that FG behaves on a Mac, I would GREATLY appreciate it.
Thanks in advance!
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, or all of the people some of time, and usually that's good enough."
Kaptain Krunch

Callsign: Krunch
Version: v2

Re: Mac Optimization Questions  

Postby Farmboy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:18 am

Short of upgrading to a faster processor, spend a few dollars and max out on Ram. Comparatively speaking, ram is inexpensive these days.
My laptop (which is what I run FG with) has 4 GB of ram, and it needs every bit of it at times. Until I upgrade I can't use the urban effect over 1.5 without stuttering the frame rate.

(Just for kicks, I found my older G4 desktop will just barely fly an aircraft on autopilot, at a frame rate of 4-6, using 100% of the CPU 99% of the time)

Peter
Horsepower is just an illusion. Torque is the true answer.
Farmboy

Location: NorthEast New York State, and the rest of New England....

Postby someguy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:48 am

What Peter said: add at least another GB of RAM. Even at 2GB you'll have trouble sometimes, so go to 4GB if you can.
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby Kaptain Krunch » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:34 am

Was considering doing that, now I know that I HAVE to.
If it makes flying more pleasant, it's definitely gonna be worth the investment... :D
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, or all of the people some of time, and usually that's good enough."
Kaptain Krunch

Callsign: Krunch
Version: v2

Return to Mac