Board index FlightGear Support Installation Mac

Aircraft and Scenery installation

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Mac.

Aircraft and Scenery installation

Postby arnemarco » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:22 am

I bought the DVDs from FlightGear believing I could get all installed in an easy way. But although I am using the description to install the add-ons on FlightGear, it does not happen as it says. What I need to know is how I in the fastest and easiest way can install all scenery in FlightGear on a Mac. I am not able to figure it out. My tryouts so far have placed the folders on wrong places etc. ... and it is incredible work to fix it ... and I tried to use the option under "other" to get aircrafts installed, bit every single zip file gave an error ...

I have a Mac Pro 6 core Westmere with 12 Gb Ram, 120 Gb SSD bootdisk, 2 x Radeon 5770 installed ...
arnemarco

Re: Aircraft and Scenery installation

Postby someguy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:11 pm

Unzip the aircraft archives first, then use the install button in the Other pane.
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby arnemarco » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:44 am

OK ... Done. And it worked ... but much to delete afterwards ...

Now how to install all sceneries in the easiest way? Should they also be unzipped on a separate place, installed from the FlightGear window and then deleted again from that place? Or is it possible just to mark all files from the DVD and install them directly to the correct place in FlightGear?

For tip and advice many thanks ...
arnemarco

Postby VicMar » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:13 pm

Hi arnemarco,

The easiest way is to NOT install the scenery at all unless you are on a dial-up connection.

So, provided you are using a broadband connection, all you need to do is tick the 'Load scenery on the fly' box, which is on the front page of the Mac Launcher.

The first time you try to launch from anywhere other than KSFO (the default airport) you will find yourself sitting on water with no scenery at all. Wait for a few seconds, say 30, then quit and re-launch FlightGear at the same airport. FG should then pick up the scenery for you as you fly towards it.

That way, you don't have to have the whole world's scenery using up space on your computer. FG will store where you have been in a folder called Scenery-Terrasync. I think you will find that you will fly in certain places because of things like scenery, or certain airports because you like them, etc. Having the whole world saved on your hard disc is a bit wasteful on your resources.

I hope that helps.
Welcome to FlightGear.

Best regards,
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby arnemarco » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:13 pm

So far nothing happens ... I have tried to fly in Norway, but no scenery, no landscapes shows up ... I tried Gardermoen, Oslo and Vaernes, Trondheim ... but nothing changes. Neither from San Francisco. I only have a limited room to fly in although I have the download scenery on the fly checked ... no new scenery is building itself up ...
arnemarco

Postby someguy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:16 pm

arnemarco wrote:Now how to install all sceneries in the easiest way? Should they also be unzipped on a separate place, installed from the FlightGear window and then deleted again from that place?

Yes, exactly that procedure.
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby arnemarco » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:37 pm

I don't quite understand this ... when I double click the .tgz file on the DVD, MAc Os places everything in the Download section of me ... I would like to choose where to unpack to, but the ziptool of Mac Os does not allow to specify a place to unpack to ... that means I have to unpack all to the Download section, then copy all to the place where I want the data, then delete all from the Download section. Finally install all from the FlightGear options? Why can't this be done faster and easier?
arnemarco

OK, I managed to unpack

Postby arnemarco » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:19 pm

I got all the files now from the 1st DVD unpacked on a place of my wish ... there are a huge quantity of folders like: Airports, Models, Objects, Objects 2, Terrain, Terrain x (x=2 to 93) and wxxxnxx ... shall I use the installer from FlightGear or just move them all to the FlightGear data-folder?
arnemarco

Postby VicMar » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 pm

Unless you are on a dial-up internet connection, it is easier to download the Mac version of FlighGear from the OSX Mac page. This is purely for Macs and it virtually does all the work for you. Just follow the instructions.

If you want to give that a try, go to:
http://macflightgear.sourceforge.net/home/downloads/
Cheers,
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby arnemarco » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:07 pm

Now I have unpacked all 3 DVDs on a datadisc. From the "Install ad-ons" in the FlightGear program I marked all folders and it stated all packages were installed. So I unchecked the download box. But starting FlightGear f.i. in Norway does not give any scenery or terrain ... only water ...
arnemarco

Postby statto » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:17 pm

There is a hierarchy to the folders.

I am going to assume the folders are under the /Scenery folder.

/Scenery should have the three folders Airports, Objects and Terrain.

Objects and Terrain should all have subdirectories of wxx0nx0. (IE, w100n40, or e070s30). These should all end in 0!

If you click on, say, w100n40, this should be full of directories which do not have to end in 0, ie w099n43.

That folder should have either object data (.btg files, I think) or terrain data inside, depending on what folder you are in.

If you click on Airports, you should see a list of letters. This should repeat for three subdirectories. So KSFO wuold be under Airports/K/S/F/KSFO.xml

The water means the scenery is not installed properly.

If you review the folder hierarchy and this looks like what you have, then you need to point FlightGear to look for scenery in that directory...
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Postby arnemarco » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:01 am

Thank you ... no, at the moment I don't have it like that ... I unpacked all to a much bigger data disk (2Tb) because I hoped FlightGear would be able to read the data from there. My program disk is a 120 Gb SSD.

But unpacked I see that it is impossible to move the files to the correct directories, because the data are separated in each package. If I have all sceneries on the DVDs, how is the fastest way to get all installed at once ... there are hundreds of scenery directories so to install every package alone, will take a huge amount of time ...
arnemarco

Postby statto » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:14 pm

When you unpacked the file, did you keep the folder hierarchy?

If you do so it -should- unpack properly.

Then you can just copy and paste into the proper directory, or tell FlightGear where to look for the scenery.
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Postby arnemarco » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:43 pm

No, I did nothing to the folder hierarchy ... but you are saying I will have to copy and paste each of the more than 500 folders separately into the correct place? Or can all be done at once?
arnemarco

Postby VicMar » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:03 pm

You can load all of the scenery files together if you open the Mac Launcher, click the little triangle beside 'Advanced Features', go to the 'others' page, then click on 'Install Add-on Data'.

That will give you a screen from which you direct FG to the Scenery. If you choose the Scenery .tgz file, it will take a while, but it will put ALL the scenery files in the proper place.

Cheers,
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Next

Return to Mac