Board index FlightGear Support osgEarth

osgEarth with airport lighting and structures

osgEarth renders the terrain scene by building the textured geometry at runtime from raw source imagery and elevation data.

osgEarth with airport lighting and structures

Postby poweroftwo » Thu May 15, 2014 9:33 pm

Here are some screenshots from the latest iteration of osgEarth integrated into Flightgear. Features include airport and runway lighting and surface clamped structures from TerraSync. Has some imperfections but overall works well. With all ground features enabled, can be a resource hog though so requires a capable machine and a good bit of memory. Only tested Windows 64 bit with 4GB Ram so far.

The functionality is near completion. Not sure there will time to get all complete and tested prior to 3.2 release but will attempt to get all cleaned up soon so that a merge request can be generated.

LEBL (Barcelona) NW terminal

LEBL (Barcelona) SW terminal

LEBL (Barcelona) night view from the south

EHAM (Schiphol) terminal

EHAM (Schiphol) view of 3 runways, wide FOV

EHAM (Schiphol) at night

EHAM (Schiphol) at sundown

EHAM (Schiphol) terminal at night

a peak at the new osgEarth config dialog

KNID (China Lake) using FG native scenery

KNID (China Lake) using osgEarth
poweroftwo

Re: osgEarth with airport lighting and structures

Postby Thorsten » Fri May 16, 2014 6:51 am

Ah, you picked the worst case comparison... with procedural texturing and in the new Southwest texture scheme, it actually looks much nicer in FG native :-)

But good work, I'm glad to see this is still going on strongly, many people are interested in this feature and there's a lot of questions coming when this will be available.
Thorsten

Postby ludomotico » Fri May 16, 2014 11:49 am

simgear compiled perfectly, but flightgear cannot be built on my PC:

Code: Select all
/home/juanvi/FlightGear/flightgear/src/Viewer/OsgEarthHeightField.cxx:508:26: fatal error: PrintVisitor.h: No such file or directory
 #include "PrintVisitor.h"
                          ^
compilation terminated.

I cannot identify the missing library, google is of no help :(

(I checked out your OsgEarthNext branch)

Edit: I'm taking a plane in a few hours and I won't be able to run more tests until Monday.
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby poweroftwo » Fri May 16, 2014 12:46 pm

[quote="ludomotico";p=209738]simgear compiled perfectly, but flightgear cannot be built on my PC:

Latest was in a different branch. But now is in OsgEarthNext branch).
poweroftwo

Postby poweroftwo » Fri May 16, 2014 12:48 pm

Thorsten wrote in Fri May 16, 2014 6:51 am:

Ah, you picked the worst case comparison... with procedural texturing and in the new Southwest texture scheme, it actually looks much nicer in FG native :-)

But good work, I'm glad to see this is still going on strongly, many people are interested in this feature and there's a lot of questions coming when this will be available.

True, I have not updated my FG in a while. I will soon for better comparisons.
poweroftwo

Postby Gijs » Sun May 18, 2014 10:54 am

Nice work Jeff!
ludomotico wrote in Fri May 16, 2014 11:49 am:fatal error: PrintVisitor.h: No such file or directory
#include "PrintVisitor.h"

I had to change the mentioned line to this with that old version, but seems to be fixed now:
#include <osgUtil/PrintVisitor>
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby mongrol » Sun May 25, 2014 8:12 am

Which git repo is this build currently living in? I can't see it in the main FG one.
mongrol

Postby Hooray » Sun May 25, 2014 12:53 pm

mongrol wrote in Sun May 25, 2014 8:12 am:Which git repo is this build currently living in? I can't see it in the main FG one.

https://gitorious.org/~poweroftwo
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby poweroftwo » Mon May 26, 2014 5:22 pm

These should be the public links to the flightgear / osgEarth repositories (note that latest development is found in OsgEarthNext branch)

Use this version of osgEarth:
• git clone -v -b OsgEarthNext https://github.com/poweroftwo/osgearth.git osgearth

• git clone -v -b OsgEarthNext git://gitorious.org/fg/simgear-osgearth.git simgear
• git clone -v -b OsgEarthNext git://gitorious.org/fg/flightgear-osgearth.git flightgear
• git clone -v -b OsgEarthNext git://gitorious.org/fg/fgdata-osgearth.git fgdata
• git clone -v -b OsgEarthNext git://gitorious.org/fg/fgrun-osgearth.git fgrun
Last edited by poweroftwo on Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
poweroftwo

Postby Gijs » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:49 pm

Hi Jeff,

I've been using osgEarth for a while now (nice work!). There is one big problem though; every now and then tiles suddenly drop to sea level, loosing all elevation data. The number of tiles involved changes while moving around. A certain tile can be at sea level in one instance and the next second it's back to normal. I've been seeing it with a build from a few weeks ago as well. It only seems to happen on relatively detailed tiles (as in high LOD levels). I haven't been able to really pin point the issue, but maybe you have an idea of what could possibly be wrong. I'm using the ArcGis earthfile. There are unfortunately no related errors in the logs. Another problem is that the tiles are always lit, regardless of the time of day.

I've used current osgEarth from Git, is that correct, or should I use a specific version?

Cheers,
Gijs

EDIT: The lighting problem is also present when osgEarth is disabled. I'll rebuild from scratch, as this looks quite messed up; even tough I like the cartoon style :-)

Gijs

Postby poweroftwo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:56 pm

There have been some major changes to osgEarth in the past few months that don't integrate well in FG yet. Please use this version instead:

git clone -v -b OsgEarthNext https://github.com/poweroftwo/osgearth.git osgearth

(I am pretty sure that this OsgEarthNext branch is actually the main osgEarth 2.5 tag) but use the above to ensure is the same as what I am building to.

Correction - this branch is not the 2.5 tag but instead is progress made that contains improvements in the fog shader.

Also, I am about to re-work the airport light clamping code, as I am unsatisfied with the performance. For the larger airports, the processing is taking far too long.

jeff
poweroftwo

Postby poweroftwo » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:01 am

I adjusted the poweroftwo OsgEarthNext branch to point to a slightly older rev of osgEarth in order to fix some lighting issues with the terrain.

git clone -v -b OsgEarthNext https://github.com/poweroftwo/osgearth.git osgearth
poweroftwo

Postby Gijs » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:16 pm

Nice, my zero-elevation issue is solved now! I'll try the new (well, old) osgEarth revision to see if the terrain is now correctly lighted and dark at night.

EDIT: Terrain is dark at night now; awesome!
Gijs

Postby mongrol » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:44 am

poweroftwo wrote in Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:01 am:I adjusted the poweroftwo OsgEarthNext branch to point to a slightly older rev of osgEarth in order to fix some lighting issues with the terrain.

Odd. I get linker errors when trying to compile flightgear against this version of OsgEarth

Linking CXX executable fgfs
CMakeFiles/fgfs.dir/__/Viewer/renderer.cxx.o: In function `FGRenderer::setupView()':
renderer.cxx:(.text+0x5376): undefined reference to `osgEarth::Util::FogEffect::FogEffect()'
renderer.cxx:(.text+0x5381): undefined reference to `osgEarth::Util::FogEffect::attach(osg::StateSet*)'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
mongrol

Postby poweroftwo » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:00 pm

I get linker errors when trying to compile flightgear against this version of OsgEarth

sounds like you might not be in the correct branch. Confirm that you are in OsgEarthNext.
poweroftwo

Next

Return to osgEarth