Board index FlightGear Development Weather

A local weather system (v1.4 available)

Everything related to weather simulation, visuals should be discussed in the shader subforum.

Re: A local weather system (v1.35 available)

Postby Thorsten » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:40 am

I saw some very cool looking cirrus clouds high up, but there was a strange kind of shape in them

Problems with rendering transparent layers which are not parallel (which the Cirrus clouds aren't, because they're curved sheets) under some angles leads to such problems. I've tried to circumvent it by trying to make sure that Cirrus clouds don't overlap much, but occasionally it still happens. The problem is either in OSG or even deeper in OpenGL, but there doesn't seem to be anything we can do about it. Has on occasion also been seen with scenery objects, just less spectacular.
Thorsten

Re: A local weather system (v1.36 available)

Postby Thorsten » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:02 am

I added a patch supporting high-altitude flights when using the skydome shader (see first post). This should allow you to get this (view over the French Alps from 52.000 ft) with more or less seamless transitions from a normal, light blue sky on the ground to pitch black skies at 85.000 ft):

and from Blackbird altitude

1) skydome shader needs to be on
2) Local Weather needs to be running, takes control of the shader parameters
3) realistic visibility needs to be activated such that the horizon is moved out far enough
and
4) you need plenty of memory in the machine... I mean it.

Edit: 5) LOD range bare must exceed 120 km of course, otherwise the terrain isn't drawn so far out regardless of the visibility
Last edited by Thorsten on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thorsten

Postby mike4lin » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:59 am

Downloaded 35 and 36, ignored a error from zip, pasted over and now no more weather at all with git.
What to do?
I remember, with early alpha versions, some really cool looking thunderstorms with lightning etc. Could we have
those back in?
mike4lin

Postby Thorsten » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:30 pm

Downloaded 35 and 36, ignored a error from zip, pasted over and now no more weather at all with git.
What to do?

I'm not a clairvoyant. But assembling a real bug report would seem a good idea to me.

I remember, with early alpha versions, some really cool looking thunderstorms with lightning etc. Could we have those back in?

If you find anyone who has them archived (I think I deleted that package a few months ago), you're free to add them in, they don't interact with Local Weather as it is now. Otherwise, I like the Cb clouds I have now much better, thus I won't change them back. Lightning isn't particularly hard to write back in, but not really on the priority list either.
Thorsten

Postby mike4lin » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:10 pm

Heavy thunderstorms with lightning would be cool. Below the error I get:

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
mike4lin

Postby Thorsten » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:53 pm

Just tested unzipping 1.36 on a different computer with different OS from where I created it - works just fine. Incomplete download?
Thorsten

Postby Ernest1984 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi! I've just installed the 1.35 + 1.36 patch, the local weather at my place is quite hard overcast with low clouds at the moment, in FG i get only single clouds... Any idea? I already checked the local weather settings, etc, everything seems to be ok, but maybe...
EPWA-hub: ERJ-195 clsgn: ERNIE
-----------------------------------
Around The World with B1900D!
callsign: AROUNDw - currently suspended till the FG will have a proper look on different locations
Ernest1984

Callsign: ERNIE
Version: 2.10

Postby Thorsten » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:55 pm

Any idea?

You are running in METAR mode, are you? Even if you fetch real weather, it doesn't execute it unless you are in METAR mode.
Thorsten

Postby Ernest1984 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:02 pm

Uhm, yes, i always use Live METAR. But then, what is the purpose to create such local weather if i cannot download live METAR data? Or...? Sorry for maybe dumb questions, i'm completely new in your local weather :P
EPWA-hub: ERJ-195 clsgn: ERNIE
-----------------------------------
Around The World with B1900D!
callsign: AROUNDw - currently suspended till the FG will have a proper look on different locations
Ernest1984

Callsign: ERNIE
Version: 2.10

Postby Thorsten » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:27 pm

Uhm, yes, i always use Live METAR. But then, what is the purpose to create such local weather if i cannot download live METAR data?

These are two different tasks:

a) you can use --enable-real-weather-fetch, then METAR for your location is fetched and parsed and the info is stored in the property tree

But METAR doesn't have to be real weather - you can enter a METAR string yourself for instance, then that is parsed and the info is stored in the tree

b) parsed METAR info stored in the property tree can be executed by the weather system, regardless where it came from

But you don't have to do so - you can look at the string and decide that this is not what you want to fly. So you have to instruct the weather system of your choice to actually use the fetched METAR string, and I suspect that you have not done. In Local Weather, this is what I mean 'running in METAR mode'. If you don't know what that refers to, I would recommend to have a look into the manual (link in first post or inside the Flightgear documentation folder).
Thorsten

Postby zach » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:11 am

Not to bother but link for download?
Zach
zach

Callsign: FGZ

Postby Thorsten » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:27 am

Not to bother but link for download?

Not to bother, but reading the release announcement?

-> see first post for all links
Thorsten

Postby mike4lin » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:49 pm

Still no luck:

Nasal runtime error: undefined symbol: c
at /media/DATA/FGFS/install/fgfs/fgdata/Nasal/local_weather/local_weather.nas, line 1480
called from: /media/DATA/FGFS/install/fgfs/fgdata/Nasal/local_weather/local_weather.nas, line 2608
called from: /media/DATA/FGFS/install/fgfs/fgdata/Nasal/local_weather/weather_tiles.nas, line 3268
called from: /media/DATA/FGFS/install/fgfs/fgdata/Nasal/local_weather/weather_tiles.nas, line 1444
called from: /media/DATA/FGFS/install/fgfs/fgdata/Nasal/local_weather/local_weather.nas, line 3958
called from: /media/DATA/FGFS/install/fgfs/fgdata/Nasal/local_weather/local_weather.nas, line 3251
called from: /media/DATA/FGFS/install/fgfs/fgdata/Nasal/local_weather/local_weather.nas, line 4134
called from: /media/DATA/FGFS/install/fgfs/fgdata/Nasal/globals.nas, line 100
mike4lin

Postby Thorsten » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:51 pm

New the rendering routine doesn't support dynamics on - clouds move automatically anyway.
Thorsten

Postby fredb » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:33 pm

Thorsten, 1.35 & 1.36 are in git, but altocumulus_layer10.xml has an unresolved conflict in the tarball :
Code: Select all
<?xml version="1.0"?>

<PropertyList>
   <path>altocumulus10.ac</path>

<<<<<<< HEAD:Models/Weather/altocumulus_layer10.xml
   <effect>
      <inherits-from>Effects/clouds-layered</inherits-from>
      <object-name>rect1</object-name>
      <object-name>rect2</object-name>
   </effect>

<animation>
      <enable-hot type="bool">false</enable-hot>
   </animation>
=======
<animation>
  <enable-hot type="bool">false</enable-hot>
</animation>
>>>>>>> dds textures:Models/Weather/altocumulus_layer10.xml

</PropertyList>

Which part of the code is correct ? What should I pushed to git to resolve this conflict ?
fredb

PreviousNext

Return to Weather