Board index FlightGear Media Challenges

Logo & Banner Challenge 2011 (FlightGear 2.6)

Screenshot and video challenges. Send in your nicest media!

Re: Logo & Banner Challenge 2011 (FlightGear 2.6)

Postby Hooray » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:16 pm

update: I have added a short paragraph about this "contest" to the upcoming newsletter.
Also, some of you might want to look into the screen shots posted in the "Shaders" section, because those screen shots show some of the latest shader developments and might be useful to create new banners/logos featuring the latest FG eye candy?

http://wiki.flightgear.org/FlightGear_N ... pment_news
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby dvanmosselbeen » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:43 am

Hi all,
All shown imagery is very stunning! Very nice & and looks very good! It's great to see some inspired peoples. Good job so far!

I just want to point out to keep the standard web banner sizes, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_banner
If i got it right, the goal is to create great promotional (web banners) imagery. For our own good: Keep in mind that the goal is to use these imagery (think to others instead of to you). Avoid to keep your web layout as a (size) base. Instead, adjust your own web layout to fit the standards. This is much more benefic (for others) in long term. Otherwise these web banners wouldn't be of any use :( It's that the stuff should be easy to integrate on the stuff of others ... That's the only way to get things used.

If you create some vector stuff. It would be nice to share the (svg (mention Inkscape or not) sources. This for eventual real life banners like used on the FSWeekend and others.Continuing on the deviation run. What about some fresh and great stunning default splash screens?? :) Even more, wallpapers... Still, mind the standards :)

Yeah sorry, lack of inspiration, i hope my notes may help.
Kind regards,
Itchi
Proud to work on Belgian sceneries: https://github.com/dvanmosselbeen and the Rans S-6S aircraft: https://github.com/dvanmosselbeen/Rans-S-6S
dvanmosselbeen

Callsign: B-ITCH
IRC name: dvanmosselbeen
Version: git

Postby dvanmosselbeen » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:57 am

Another important point i think might be:
Avoid any reference to a Flightgear specific version: That would just insure your artwork a very short (valid) life time :/
References to the 2.6 is only of any use for some graphics to promote the version 2.6 in the newsletter, a blog entry etc. But out of that, it will require you to adjust your artwork at every release (see new release cycle). But then, peoples would say, "Hey, that was the vX.Y banner/logo, look here ..."

Regards,
Proud to work on Belgian sceneries: https://github.com/dvanmosselbeen and the Rans S-6S aircraft: https://github.com/dvanmosselbeen/Rans-S-6S
dvanmosselbeen

Callsign: B-ITCH
IRC name: dvanmosselbeen
Version: git

Postby kyokoyama » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:22 am

I think the point of having the version number is to advertise that specific version of FG, instead of the software in general...
It would be pretty redundant and misleading to use a FG ad that has features that are either old or no longer supported.. Not to forget that each banner would make a fresh start instead of making 'good' banners overused and stale...

But otherwise, standardizing the sizes is a good idea -I'll keep that in mind when making new ideas then. Thanks!
Look for "B-BIRD" "N127KY" or "AVA0004" -that's me.

Despite having over 1700 posts here, I am not even close to being the most skilled guy here... I'm just words and bad drawing, not experience. :P
kyokoyama

Callsign: B-BIRD, N127KY
Version: 2.12.1

Postby Hooray » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:04 pm

Actually, I fully agree - it is better to keep out anything that is specific to a certain FG version, and which would thus make contributions obsolete pretty soon, i.e. after the next release.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby El Flauta » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:07 pm

In my humble opinion...

On each coprporate image/branding design proyect, designers write at end a publication for a correct use of the logo, fonts, and colors. That is made for standarization of the image for any location or situation where it is placed. Could be a good idea to write something like a "brand manual" on the Wiki when the challenge end :)

I don't like the idea to have more than 1 logo, with various well designed applications. Having more logos just mess the image of the simulator. The problem of the two current main logos (homepage and wiki) used is they looks good only in big size, but tends to fail when applied in monochrome or small sizes. Some typography works would be appreciated, too.

What i think that needs an urgent, whole re-design? the launcher!
Vive FlightGear! Have you a Ñ on your keyboard? Spain-LatinAmerica FlightGear community!
--
PZL M18B Dromader
CASA C-101 Aviojet
Cessna 337G Skymaster
El Flauta

Callsign: CC-FLT
Version: 3

Postby Johan G » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:21 pm

El Flauta wrote in Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:07 pm:The problem of the two current main logos (homepage and wiki) used is they looks good only in big size, but tends to fail when applied in monochrome or small sizes.

Look at the tab icons in your web browser, if you have them. I would have to say that I think that the "Checker and F" logo works really well in 16 x 16 pixels. :) Also I instantly thinks of FlightGear when I see it, so as for me it is strongly connected with the FlightGear "brand", more so than any of the other logos, icons etc.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby El Flauta » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:14 pm

You're right; it looks fine. Forget my commentary... just about the F with squares.
The wiki logo don't have the same luck: the planes with trails looks even like barb wires sometimes, and when are small looks like an atom :oops:
Vive FlightGear! Have you a Ñ on your keyboard? Spain-LatinAmerica FlightGear community!
--
PZL M18B Dromader
CASA C-101 Aviojet
Cessna 337G Skymaster
El Flauta

Postby Johan G » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:14 pm

El Flauta wrote in Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:14 pm:The wiki logo don't have the same luck: the planes with trails looks even like barb wires sometimes, and when are small looks like an atom :oops:

I'm with you here. I have as well sometimes thought that it looked like there was barb wire there. :( Good logos are hard to make... :|
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby Trez » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:58 pm

IOS Style logo:
Trez

Callsign: Trez
Version: 2.8 GIT

Postby DutchPilotMitchell » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:25 pm

I have been thinking for a long time about a FG iOS app with all the info, pictures and planes etc. .But sadly, it costs 100 € to be a be a developer.
Proud to be Dutch.
DutchPilotMitchell

Callsign: mitchel
Version: 22

Postby Johan G » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:21 am

DutchPilotMitchell wrote in Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:25 pm:But sadly, it costs 100 € to be a be a developer.

:?: :!: :evil:
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby Toanphuc » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:56 pm

Try my luck with these two banners :mrgreen:

A good flight sim is not to make people feel fly easier but to make them feel fly is as real as it get.
Other Free Flight Sims viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8847
Toanphuc

Postby Gijs » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:12 pm

One quick tip: enable anti-aliasing when taking screenshots ;)
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby El Flauta » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:22 am

Well... maybe is a little too late, but i want to share some "good design" tis to take attention before making a design... only to help non-designer people to made better works :wink: I never was a good graphic designer and i left the career, but i remember the "rules":
    "Less is more"
    Better if are no more than 2 differents fonts
    You don't need to apply all your good ideas in the same design
    If the graphic need a slogan, put just one
    Clear lines, clear composition; no saturation of elements (the graphic should "breath")
    Appropiate use of colors: contrasts without "vibration", opposites and complementary colors

Any good logo have 5 basic principles:
    Simple
    Memorable
    Timeless
    Versatile
    Appropriate

The logo should be able to have different versions for different uses. i.e. monochromatic, inverted. In a small size should be recognizable.
--
PZL M18B Dromader
CASA C-101 Aviojet
Cessna 337G Skymaster
El Flauta

PreviousNext

Return to Challenges