Board index FlightGear Media Challenges

Logo & Banner Challenge 2011 (FlightGear 2.6)

Screenshot and video challenges. Send in your nicest media!

Logo & Banner Challenge 2011 (FlightGear 2.6)

Postby Hooray » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:22 pm

This was recently discussed in another thread and brought up by Gijs, many of the logos and banners we are currently using, are based on old versions of FlightGear, but FlightGear has improved a lot since then.

So it would be great to have some updated logos and banners, that we can add to our wiki for people to use when advertising FG: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Logos

Given the amazing talent available in our community, it should be easy enough to come up with a bunch of new logos and banners, right?

For example, quite a while ago, Michat created a fantastic custom splash screen for flug's bombable addon:

So, maybe we can come up with a similarly impressive banners and logos that advertise the latest FlightGear features?
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Re: Logo & Banner Challenge 2011 (FlightGear 2.6)

Postby Zbyszek » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:23 pm

Taking screenshots is great idea to waste time and stop development FlightGear, don't you think? :mrgreen: I'm currently too lazy to do something other like scenery objects or tutorials...

#1 How to do logo in 1min, do not try this at home.

Some banners:

I've found cover for 2.0. It wasn't hard to change it to 2.6[forgotabout".0"]. :P

See also: http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14497

EDIT: added "flightgear.org" on banners.
Last edited by Zbyszek on Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zbyszek

Postby Johan G » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:53 am

I like the the first logo and the DVD cover (specially the X-out Windows logo). :wink: :lol:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Gijs » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:57 am

+1
For the Google+ link, you'd better use http://gplus.to/flightgear ;-)
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Hooray » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:42 pm

Indeed, some cool banners there - I would suggest to consider adding the URL to http://www.flightgear.org - what do you think?
Also, please consider uploading your logos to the wiki: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Logos
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby longfly » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:52 pm

great banners :D I hope they are also GPL caus I want to use some of them on my websites. (some horizontal would be useful too)

Thanks a lot for your work!
Longfly
longfly

Version: always new

Postby sgofferj » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:06 pm

Question: Does it make sense to put a banner (or any other artwork for that matter) under the GPL? The GPL is for software and requires that the sourcecode is provided. How do you do this with graphics? Wouldn't it make more sense to put graphics under a Creative Commons derivative, which is intended for creative works and GPL compatible?
FG 3.1 GIT / Opensuse 12.3 / Phenom II X4 / GForce GTX560
Stefan's little Flightgear corner | The Finnish Weather Center | Wolves in Finland

Working on: EFTP
COM: IAX2:home.gofferje.net/stefan (MO-FR 0700-2000 UTC, SA+SU 0900-2000 UTC)
sgofferj

Callsign: OH-SW
Version: 3.1 GIT

Postby Johan G » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:04 pm

sgofferj wrote in Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:06 pm:Wouldn't it make more sense to put graphics under a Creative Commons derivative, which is intended for creative works and GPL compatible?

I would say it does.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Zbyszek » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:11 pm

Thanks for comments, it could be worst!

@Longly, yes they are GPL, if you want, you can use screenshoots in full size picasaweb.google.com/117255970534...

Hooray wrote in Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:42 pm:Indeed, some cool banners there - I would suggest to consider adding the URL to http://www.flightgear.org - what do you think?
Also, please consider uploading your logos to the wiki: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Logos

I'll update banners soon with small "flightgear.org". My logo currently isn't as good as I want, but I'm going to change some details (or do it from scratch).

There is sense making GNU GPL arts, now you can print these banners as toilet paper even without asking, if they were on CC, you would have to print them with my username - so I prefer GPL. :lol:
Zbyszek

Postby kyokoyama » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:27 pm

Good luck! In the meantime, here's some (badly-made) competition... :twisted:

Look for "B-BIRD" "N127KY" or "AVA0004" -that's me.

Despite having over 1700 posts here, I am not even close to being the most skilled guy here... I'm just words and bad drawing, not experience. :P
kyokoyama

Callsign: B-BIRD, N127KY
Version: 2.12.1

Postby someguy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:04 am

someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby Michat » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:08 am

Hello everyone.

First of all I have to say thanks to the FG hackers who make it possible new releases. Next I have to say that I'm very well impressed by the high skill graphics and ideas exposed here.

Now the ball is on our court. As amateur designers we have now a great responsability to transfer a very hard hack code work into a visual experience.

I think is time to design a complex campaing adding our efforts and get to reach our common goals.

I wish to expose several ideas:

I think we are all agree that FG logo must never change, it is still fresh, is our callsign for years. I'll never change mine, don't you think so?.. Image we can addapt but not change for other concept.

Tasks that i think we could do, are:

Create 2.6 fgIcons for the launchers and shortcuts
Create that little image that appears in the FG install program for 2.6. (windows)

Coordinate our time to release our banners in all web sites and hangars as possible, devil face book included :(

Create an splash for those video tuber producers in order to identify easily the campaing.

Know and collect your oppinions and contributions is also important, so we don't loose the freshness of FG.

I just made 50 banners which explain my idea of presentation. For sure that your feedback is very important.

Hope you like it. I'll show it here little by little because now I have no time to upload it all.

Thanks all.

Michat

Last edited by Michat on Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:13 am, edited 21 times in total.
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby kyokoyama » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:38 am

To make sure, is this what you meant?

You're suggesting that, along with the release of FG2.6, all the logos and graphics for FG should migrate from the 'old' version to the new one made by Gijs, and that there should be a coordinated effort between all FG hangars, websites and YouTube accounts to make a unified advertising force?

If so, I'm all up for the first part! (...though I'm a bit sad to hear that my twist on the logo didn't have that good of a shelf life..)
However, such a unified campaigning effort just seems a bit too unrealistic and even somewhat wrong, to me. It's one thing to encourage a software, but to force everyone to follow along with something like that just isn't the FlightGear spirit.
Remember that FG is a culmination of work that hundreds of people put in their free time by free choice; representing that with bandwagon movements and something that we should never do.

...If I misinterpreted what you meant, I apologize; please feel free to correct me or comment, as always.

(As for why I'm up so late? ....I'm procrastinating for an English essay... I wonder why I'm here, instead... :oops: )

PS: Nice pictures, but... I'm not really sure if the comic book theme's exactly appropriate for our project? It's really creative, still!
Look for "B-BIRD" "N127KY" or "AVA0004" -that's me.

Despite having over 1700 posts here, I am not even close to being the most skilled guy here... I'm just words and bad drawing, not experience. :P
kyokoyama

Callsign: B-BIRD, N127KY
Version: 2.12.1

Postby Hooray » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:40 am

LOL, guys that's great - keep the submissions coming.

Regarding the logo, i.e. Gijs logo - I for one, think it's pretty cool and "retro" style, but I don't think that it inevitably needs to be part of EVERY upcoming logo or banner? I don't think Gijs ever meant it to be that way. So, I'd say feel free to come up with your own ideas - after all, this is as much about "evolution" as code is, once people start liking some contribution, it's likely to become popular getting used more often.

On the other hand, I do acknowledge that having a common/similar component in all sorts of logos and banners is obviously helpful to obtain a certain "branding" feature if you know what I mean.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Michat » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:32 pm

kyokoyama

"..If I misinterpreted what you meant, I apologize."

Is me that I have to apologize, I din't explain so good. Your work is excellent, and its part of the original concept ( we can addapt but not change for other concept). I tried to explain that we must follow this policy in order to maintain our identity along the time line. Thats all about it. I apologize for that.

My idea is to be coordinated in time and contents with all the hangars as we can, to make public our campaign in coordination, if possible all around the world. Delivering contents on time

My idea wasn't exclude nobody, by contraire when I say coordination I'm try to mean how to deliver those contents on time using all your ideas.

Again I want to apologize for the confusion.

Thats all, my friends.
Michat

Version: 191b

Next

Return to Challenges