Board index FlightGear Support Tools FGx

Minimalistic FG OSX launcher for devel versions or snapshots

A launcher for FlightGear.
Forum rules
Note that FGx has been unmaintained for years. Users may want to use the built-in Qt Launcher instead.

Re: Minimalistic FG OSX launcher for devel versions or snaps

Postby VicMar » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:43 pm

Can you post details about the model of apple you have and which CPU?

Hi Gral,

I did that a couple of posts earlier:
iMac, 2Ghz intel Core 2 Duo - 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM - running OS 10.5.8. Is there any other info needed?

BTW how many hours does the master file take to get ready to download? It looks like I interrupted it to come back to the forum. I guess I shall have to start again (maybe overnight).

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby gral » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:49 pm

I made a test version now with prebuilt flightgear 2.2 and fgdata included (check "use built-in" on programs/path tab). So you don’t have to download anything else to test FGX. You can download the .dmg here. It works fine on OSX 10.6 as far as I can see, but I need more 10.5.8 testers on Intel (see above). Thanks a lot. Cheers, gral
gral

Callsign: HB-GRAL
Version: GIT

Postby someguy » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:50 pm

Now we're talkin'!! Thanks, downloading it now.
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby someguy » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:03 pm

Gral, I eventually got FGX to work, mostly. I'm using OS X 10.6.6. I frankly don't know what sequence of entering manual paths and switching to and from "built-in" finally got the paths to work; I tried a lot of different things over 30 minutes or so. A few early observations:

All of the installed aircraft appear in the FGX drop-down menu, but fgfs can't find some of them according to the Terminal message, and so it aborts if one of those was selected.

I see Thorsten's local weather in included (yay!). Is it v0.9 or v1.0? METAR seems to work, if I can remember to switch it on in both places.

A whole lot of downloading is happening in the background. It looks like the standard scenery and airport stuff.

The minimal HUD seems to be missing. I really miss the target circles and velocity vector. I hope this gets fixed.

Selecting MP does not launch mpmap in the browser, though I appear in mpmap if I go to the map manually.

I also miss fullscreen display. But the instant 3D is cool.

It would be handy if FGX remembered the callsign across launches.

That's it for now. Thanks for the chance to try 2.2, Gral.
someguy

Postby gral » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:18 am

someguy wrote in Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:03 pm:Gral, I eventually got FGX to work, mostly. I'm using OS X 10.6.6. I frankly don't know what sequence of entering manual paths and switching to and from "built-in" finally got the paths to work; I tried a lot of different things over 30 minutes or so. A few early observations:

First, thanks for testing someguy. "Built-in" deactivates all manually set paths, so when you check "built-in" FGX takes built-in Flightgear program and data. Except for scenery, it will look for downloaded scenery too. When you uncheck "built-in" you have to know a path to another installed Flightgear binary, useful when you like to test a own installation or when you use a nightly build from hudson, or whatelse :wink:

someguy wrote in Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:03 pm:All of the installed aircraft appear in the FGX drop-down menu, but fgfs can't find some of them according to the Terminal message, and so it aborts if one of those was selected.

This is not directly related to FGX. The launcher scans the aircraft directory and takes the names of the aircraft folders. Some of the folder names does not correspond with launch name of the xml definition, but as I remember this should be a standard for aircrafts in Flightgear. I will have a closer look to the aircrafts in basic FGX data installation, at least for the small amount of standard aircrafts this should be corrected.

someguy wrote in Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:03 pm:I see Thorsten's local weather in included (yay!). Is it v0.9 or v1.0? METAR seems to work, if I can remember to switch it on in both places.

As I see Fred/Thorsten committed Local Weather 1.0 today (!) to gitorious. So it will be part in the next FGX I prepare.

someguy wrote in Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:03 pm:A whole lot of downloading is happening in the background. It looks like the standard scenery and airport stuff.

This is Terrasync initializising a new custom scenery directory. This will take some time when you launch FGX the first time, but after some minutes this should have gone, and it will download the newest custom scenery with every launch of FGX. This will take only some seconds.

someguy wrote in Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:03 pm:The minimal HUD seems to be missing. I really miss the target circles and velocity vector. I hope this gets fixed.

Oh, I hope too. This is probably something for bugs@flightgear, it is not related to FGX.

someguy wrote in Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:03 pm:Selecting MP does not launch mpmap in the browser, though I appear in mpmap if I go to the map manually.

Right, this feature is not implemented yet. Meantime you can start the browser and follow your plane using urls like:
http://mpmap02.flightgear.org/?follow=Callsign

someguy wrote in Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:03 pm:I also miss fullscreen display. But the instant 3D is cool.

Fullscreen is on my todo list.

someguy wrote in Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:03 pm:It would be handy if FGX remembered the callsign across launches.

Also on todo list.

Thanks for your testing. Recently I don’t get it to work on 10.5.8, but I hope it will come soon.

Cheers, gral
gral

Postby gral » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:14 pm

There is a new version (edit: removed link) to download now. Vicmar did a lot if testings with OSX 10.5.8 (thanks!), but I could not get it to run on his system (10.5.8 intel). I will open a new thread for FGX soon with more information. Cheers, gral
Last edited by gral on Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
gral

Postby someguy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:11 am

Gral, I just tried pre3. I know that these probably aren't under your control, but here are some things that are still broken from pre2:

The Control key isn't recognized. "Ctrl-c" is the same as pressing "c".

If the cursor is set to disappear after x seconds, it doesn't reappear unless it's clicked outside of fgfs first.

Right-clicking turns the cursor into a plus, as expected, but it stays that way instead of cycling through the three cursors.

fgfs won't launch without a runway number. It will accept a bogus number, but not a blank field. The runway is not remembered across launches. (but everything else now is, thanks very much!)

As soon as you touch down on a carrier, the frame rate drops to near zero for a few seconds.

The urban shader really destroys my frame rate. With Tat's 21 Aug snapshot, it only cost a few fps. My quality is set to 3.0, though this shader no longer works below 4.0.

New with pre3:

FGX doesn't like aircraft without thumbnails. If the last model had no thumbnail, it throws two error dialogs, but loads anyway.

Hope this is useful info.
someguy

Postby gral » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:04 am

It IS useful! Thank you very much someguy. As you mentioned above some of this issues are not relarted to fgx, more to current development version. But anyway FGX has some nasty bugs like the one you pointed with thumbnail preview and the runway number, and I will post an update soon.

Cheers, gral
gral

Postby someguy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:22 pm

Any chance you could post just the fgx binary, for those of us without personal T1 connections? :)

BTW, I've had no crashes so far, with my longest session being about an hour. There's another bug I forgot to mention above: the chat dialog doesn't scroll automatically as chat progresses, and the text tries to overrun the box.
someguy

Postby gral » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:12 pm

Thanks again for your feedback, someguy.

I justed wanted to add a note for others: FGX download link is inactive. I am working on a new version, fixing some bugs.

Cheers, gral
gral

Postby VicMar » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:08 pm

Hi Gral,

With the possibility that the reason I can't get fgx to work on osx 10.5.8 is because of the way my Mac is configured, I wonder if another 10.5.8 user would care to test the next version for you.

@ 10.5.8 Users:
I can promise that Gral makes it very simple to do, and all you need to do is follow his instructions and send him the reports he asks for.

Not being able to update to 10.6 (because of funding shortages) means I, and any others using 10.5.8 might get left behind if we don't/can't keep up with the latest versions.

Come on guys, be brave. If it turns out to be my Mac which is at fault, I shall have to reinstall everything from my set-up discs, then update everything I have downloaded since. :( Not something I would look forward to, but better than being left behind with only older versions of FG usable. If you have the same results as mine, Gral will know it's not just my computer.

Cheers,
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby gral » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:01 am

New version fgx22pre4 for testing and bug reporting [EDIT: removed link again]. Sorry I can not prevent you from downloading tons of bytes (~490 MB), I had to bundle the whole thing again. Anyway upload takes more time than download :wink: If you want to compile fgx yourself (without built-in FlightGear): get the source from gitorious.org/fgx.

I still have no possibility to test the programm with OSX 10.5.8, which is also deployment target, but unfortunately I could not run Leopard here at the moment. I think you will need OSX 10.6 on Intel, but feel free to give 10.5/intel a try. Thanks!

Cheers, gral

EDIT: Ok, testing is over for now :wink: I will release a new version soon (and post a new message here in the forum). Thanks.
gral

Postby gral » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:25 am

I created a new topic for FGX now and you don't have to follow this thread anymore. (And big thanks to VicMar and someguy to make some basic testing for me!).
gral

Previous

Return to FGx